Scan wont stop on old BC350A

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikL

I am new here so I hope I am posting this in the right place.
I have an old BC350 that I had thought stopped working and replaced with a newer radio.
When I started messing with it I found that it does still work...sort of. I can manually put in a frequency and it will pick up signals. However when it scans through it wont stop on anything. If I scan in the frequency ranges it will stop. Just not on a programmed channel.
I read a similar post on here but nothing seems to have ever been resolved in that posters situation so I thought I would ask any of you experts out there if you have any ideas?
I would like to have it for a second radio if it still is salvageable. I'd hate to dispose of it if there can be any more life milked out of it

dmg1969

I have a BC355N in my house, which is similar. The first thing I would check is your squelch. Turn it all the way counter-clockwise until you hear the rushing sound. Then, slowly turn it clockwise until it stops. Then try scanning again. If that doesn't work, try programming your local NOAA weather radio frequency in the same bank (I assume you are programming in the Private bank) and see if it stops on that while scanning. If it does and does not stop on your local frequencies, maybe they made a change to their system that you don't know about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NikL

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried your suggestions prior to posting my question.
If I manually hold and scroll through channels it picks up activity but it just wont stop when scanning. Very strange. I could understand if it didn't work at all but this throws me.
It is like the threshold to stop on a active channel is too high but I have no idea of how to or if it is possible to fix.

dmg1969

If you turn the squelch know the whole way counter-clockwise, do you get the rushing sound? It almost sounds like a problem with the squelch on the radio. If so, you could send it to Uniden to be repaired. Not sure if it would be worth it though based on the age of the radio. For $150 or under, you could get a BC75XLT, BC125AT or BC355N.

Dave

NikL

Yeah it's not worth paying to repair.
Heck it was only around 100 bucks when I got it some 20 years ago.
I recently bought a new unit the BCT15X and it rocks!
I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how I might be able to repair it myself before I consigned it to radio heaven.

paulbarwick

Me too.

I've got two of them that do the exact same thing. Uniden repair charge is almost the same as the price to buy a new scanner, so that doesn't make any sense. I am actually glad to find someone else with the same problem. I was wondering if it might be operator error on my part, but apparently not.

I guess I will just save them as non-scanning receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.