How's the NJ Transit Tetra System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

It cannot be monitored, so impossible to determine. However, I don't believe NJ Transit itself uses it (aside from Light Rail and maintenance operations). I believe it is now used by other Bus carriers such as Academy, Coach USA, perhaps De Camp, etc...

W2SJW

Database Admin
My friend Pete is a senior driver for Coach USA - the transition to digital was rough for them, and they have had numerous issues with the signal just 'disappearing' in the middle of a conversation. A lot of it can be chalked up to bad radio ettiquite (he's a ham, and knows proper radio operations), he said.

NJT bought that system for it's data infrastructure capabilities, not for the 4:1 TDMA operational aspect. Having 4:1 on that many frequencies is a HUGE amount of talk channels that I doubt they even come close to using, even at peak times.

chiefjohnson

NJT

Thanks for the info. I do know the entire NJ Transit Bus operations both private carriers and their buses are utilizing the TETRA. Coach USA, Trans-Bridge (PA), DeCamp and all NJ Transit local and MCI bus routes were on the old 800 Trunked and have such switched over. Did not know if there was any dissatisfaction with the system. It's always hard for the end users to use proper etiquette and understand the operational end user differences of digital versus non.

Monoxide16

there was nothing wrong with that old system why change to digital? Seems like there is so much problems with digital systems now a days it either comes in all broken up or signal lost analog sounds so much better!!

GM

Premium Subscriber
The previous analog 800 MHz Motorola Type I/II TRS was pre-rebanding (utilized the 866 MHz range) and had to re-band at some point. The equipment was old, no longer supported by Motorola, replacement parts were becoming hard to locate, and thus created the perfect opportunity for a transition to digital voice and data. There are myraid opportunities available with digital voice and data versus analog, depending on how the infrastructure is set up and used.

The previous analog 800 MHz Motorola Type I/II TRS was pre-rebanding (utilized the 866 MHz range) and had to re-band at some point. The equipment was old, no longer supported by Motorola, replacement parts were becoming hard to locate, and thus created the perfect opportunity for a transition to digital voice and data. There are myraid opportunities available with digital voice and data versus analog, depending on how the infrastructure is set up and used.

NJT had several systems. Another was their Metrocom transit radio network, which required the driver to press a "Request to Talk" button. The dispatcher would then answer the driver and a channel was granted, like trunking in reverse. I'm not sure what the base side looked like, but their busses had Syntor X9000 800 MHz conventional radios with special outboard controllers that would steer the radios to the proper channel for communication. That was circa 1990.

The independent operators were on another network. If I recall, was used more like a CB than a resource management utility. It was constantly in queueing.

Having the data capability that TETRA brings is a great fleet management tool and opens the door to better public interface. Anymore, voice is becoming secondary to data.

AlexC

Database Admin
They are not using it in North Jersey for Audio at least on the local buses out of Fairview depot. They still have the X9000 heads and the notifications come over the 800 system. They do have the new fancy displays where they punch the routes in etc, but the drivers use the handsets and the old analog system to talk.

SCPD

QRT
It cannot be monitored, so impossible to determine. However, I don't believe NJ Transit itself uses it (aside from Light Rail and maintenance operations). I believe it is now used by other Bus carriers such as Academy, Coach USA, perhaps De Camp, etc...

The Hudson Co. senior/disabled vans have been outfitted with the power trunk radios as well. FYI.

Radiobec

Premium Subscriber
The TETRA system was also used extensively during the Super Bowl and extended coverage to the main stations in Manhattan.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Old age. The NJT system was installed in 1988 and good luck finding parts for micors and MSF repeaters.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
there was nothing wrong with that old system why change to digital? Seems like there is so much problems with digital systems now a days it either comes in all broken up or signal lost analog sounds so much better!!

Comes down to old age. Their system was installed back in 1988 and they used micors and msf repeaters. Not stuff you can get parts for these days.

Analogrules

NJ Transit Buses, at least in northern NJ, are NOT yet on TETRA. I am hearing them right at this moment on their 800 MHz system. (856.2375 - 860.2375) (856.4875-860.4875) in analog mode where they always have been.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
NJ Transit Buses, at least in northern NJ, are NOT yet on TETRA. I am hearing them right at this moment on their 800 MHz system. (856.2375 - 860.2375) (856.4875-860.4875) in analog mode where they always have been.

Correct. TETRA replaced the old smartnet system and now carries the buses such as Academy, Coach, Transbridge as well as the other operations within NJT. The main NJT buses still use the Metricom system which is just as old as the smartnet system was. Eventually that will go away and all of NJT will be on TETRA (except the PD, they went 700 NJICS)

Analogrules

Approx when will NJT buses move to TETRA? Are we talking before the summer or not for a couple more years? Also, will the regular train lines such as NJCL and NE Corridor be moving there too?

Status
Not open for further replies.