Pro-197 biggest joke ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusco25

Ok let me make this clear as I can.. I got a new Pro-197 I can not pick up **** on P25 in the 453-460 range I tried a ST2 on my porch and I could not pick up the P25 in my area The tower is 17 miles away.. I used the 800Mhz RS antenna... nothing, I then got the ok the mount the ST2 15' above my roof line, still can not pick it up.. I then used a RH77CA still no better results.. Meanwhile my 396xt picks it all up fine with stock antenna.. WTF is up with this scanner? If I move the antenna's around during diff times of the day it is clear? I can put the RH77CA on and in one spot I hear nothing if I move the scanner one foot I MEAN ONE FOOT it comes in then in a few hours it will not I got to move it around AGIAN.. It just sounds like a bunch of digital noise.. NO they are not encrypted.. If anyone wants to buy this let me know or else I am going to bash it, and I mean that..

Last edited:

Dusco25

Do you have your banks enabled on your pro 106 ?

What do you mean? I got my local county and PD which is still analog in channel one I got KSP Post 2/16 in channel two.. It is all done right even down to the NAC.. Lets say during the middle of the morning I can pick up the digital fine then I got to move it around during the night to pick them up, no matter the antenna I use..

R

retiredmich

It may be your location, I have a pro 106 that some times I have to move it to a diff location in my house to receive better. At first I thought you did not have any of your banks turned on.

Dusco25

It may be your location, I have a pro 106 that some times I have to move it to a diff location in my house to receive better. At first I thought you did not have any of your banks turned on.

That is just unacceptable I will be selling this..

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Take a look at my FAQ's - Reception FAQ's

#11 easiest and I have seen a couple dramatic improvements including even seeing zero bars, then after, 5 bars of signal!

Last edited:
R

retiredmich

Dusco25, on your p25 digital programs do you have all the departments TGID # programed in ? If not you wont get any reception on the TG's.

caravanken

I went through the same frustrations that you are experiencing with my Pro 197. I finally got mine working on 850 mhz P25 system using the Radio Shack Discone with high quality coax. The antenna is up at about 28'. I did build my own antenna for 400/800 mhz and it worked fairly well but not as good as the RS Discone.
But if you are fed up with the radio I would consider buying it if the price is right.
Ken
W0KRD

Dusco25

I went through the same frustrations that you are experiencing with my Pro 197. I finally got mine working on 850 mhz P25 system using the Radio Shack Discone with high quality coax. The antenna is up at about 28'. I did build my own antenna for 400/800 mhz and it worked fairly well but not as good as the RS Discone.
But if you are fed up with the radio I would consider buying it if the price is right.
Ken
W0KRD

What type of coax?

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Everyone seems to miss the fact that he is receiving with other radios-not an antenna or coax issue....broken BNC connector (inside the radio) maybe?

dkf435

Sounds like you are at the end of your range using an inside antenna 17 miles is a good hop. Picking up the signal and losing it if you move a little is a sign that a better antenna and coax system are needed.

I would second the vote on the bnc connection or loose center pin.

David Kb7uns

cg

Premium Subscriber
A huge number of users with the Pro-197 have issues with the scanner being too sensitive. Try turning the attenuator (ATT) on. I ended up placing two filters between the antenna and the three Pro-197 scanners I have. Both are PAR filters, one to eliminate the FM BCB (music) and the second is to eliminate interference from NOAA WX radios.

chris

ridgescan

Take into consideration-filters. I learned about the 197 being uber-overloadable at front end. Especially VHF. Lots of posts about that. PAR makes notch filters you put inline. Radio shack makes one for airband that is great.
I have no idea what the situation is inside a 197 far as the antenna circuit, but I do know that in my little Uniden 350a, there is a little metal finger that comes out of the board and "touches" against the center pin of the coax terminal's in-radio side-and when you move the coax connecter-signals are lost. Worth a look there.
Finally, I can tell you from my experiences here, I could move my d130j up there on the roof just 2' and change the reception dynamics across the whole spectrum. That alone makes for some painful obsessing.
The fact that your 197 is so prone to overload will make that situation more dramatic than the other radios. I know this because my little 350a can get stuff easier than my bc785d which itself, is another biatch.
BTW I bought a 197 2 yrs back and didn't have it 24 hours before I returned it because of your very problem.

N8IAA

all my P25 is conv,,

I'm going to presume KSP. Why not ask in the Kentucky state forum. There have been many questions on the reception of those frequencies. I used my PSR-800 to monitor on a trip north this past summer. Used a short antenna on the roof of my vehicle. Make sure that you have them programmed as FM, or FMN with the proper NAC.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.