BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Reconstructing Full Database NEVER COMPLETES

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Tried three times to update the database file.

I get an error when the Reconstructing Full Database pop-up window starts. Runs for three hours but never completes.

Uninstalled and reinstalled Sentinel - no resolution.

Left PC on overnight. Appeared to complete but when I restart Sentinel SAME ERROR and the nightmare begins again.

Increase size of paging file - helps but doesn't solve.

Ready to use as a paperweight...

Any CONFIRMED fix for this????

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

I get an error when the Reconstructing Full Database pop-up window starts. Runs for three hours but never completes.

Left PC on overnight. Appeared to complete but when I restart Sentinel SAME ERROR and the nightmare begins again.

What is the EXACT error message you are getting?

KD4YGG

Database Admin
So when I shutdown and restart then attempt to run Sentinel, it starts retrying to reconstruct the database again.

Tried with and without scanner hooked to PC

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Can't say this is a confirmed fix, but if you are feeling "adventure-some", you might try the following (which can be rolled back if need be).

• Be sure Sentinel is NOT running.
  • Use your Windows File Explorer to navigate to C:\ProgramData\Uniden\BCDx36HP_Sentinel.
  • You'll see three sub-folders, one of which is named Database. Re-name that sub-folder to xDatabase.
  • Then start Sentinel. If things go well, you'll see Sentinel re-constructing the database (took me less than a minute) then Sentinel continues to run. Following that, you'll see a Database sub-folder appear in the Windows File Explorer Window.
If worst comes to worst and this doesn't fix your issue, just rename that "xDatabase" file folder back to "Database" and you'll be back where you started. Sentinel should not be running for this, as when Sentinel is running, it may put a "lock" on the files preventing re-naming.

While you may have cleared out the Sentinel program so you could re-install it, you may not have eliminated all of the other files associated with it during that process. There could be some kind of hiccup in those other files causing you the problem.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Will try this and report. The "less than a minute" time period definitely has passed... Only about 20% completed and has stopped. Hardrive is still on...

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It sounds like something is going on with your computer and it is taking Sentinel to show it up. It could just as easily been some other program, but it was Sentinel that drew the unlucky straw.

Possibly a bad sector on your hard drive (wild guess).

How long has it been since you have done a disk defrag?

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Have switched to Butel ARC software. Not an issue anymore (I don't rely on the onboard database)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

What version of windows are you using?

KD4YGG

Database Admin
windows XP and an older 2007era e-machine

Planning on updating soon, but will get by until then...

Status
Not open for further replies.