3 Element, 2m Yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5JCJ

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I'm looking to build a 2m, 3 element Yagi. While thinking about the construction of the antenna, I thought about using the long pieces of ceiling grid wire for the elements. However, I'm not sure if that will wold work due to the electrical conductivity. Has anyone ever experimented with ceiling grid wire and, if so, how did it work for you? Thanks for your time.

N5JCJ

Premium Subscriber
When you say cooper, you're referring to cooper tubing, correct? I'm looking to use a piece of 3/4" pvc for lightweight carry.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You could use copper wire inside the PVC pipe, and it would work better than steel wire.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Copper wire, copper tube, etc. Benefit is it's solderable and easy to bend/bend back into shape.

Steel rod would work, but copper would likely be easier.

nd5y

The difference in conductivity between copper and steel or aluminum in short lengths such as in a VHF antenna is not noticeable. Most mobile whips are steel and they work fine. I have made several VHF and higher yagis from cheap 12 ga. galvanized steel wire and they work fine. I haven't worked with suspended ceiling wire so I don't know if it is stainless or galvanized. My only concern would be rust if the antenna was used outdoors.

prcguy

The difference is measurable and possibly noticeable on air. I remember a test some guys did with J poles making them out of copper, aluminum and stainless steel. The stainless version was down about 1dB compared to copper types and aluminum was a toss up. I believe the tests were all done on 2m versions.
prcguy

The difference in conductivity between copper and steel or aluminum in short lengths such as in a VHF antenna is not noticeable. Most mobile whips are steel and they work fine. I have made several VHF and higher yagis from cheap 12 ga. galvanized steel wire and they work fine. I haven't worked with suspended ceiling wire so I don't know if it is stainless or galvanized. My only concern would be rust if the antenna was used outdoors.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
TFD, here's a 2M beam for you......1/2" copper pipe with a PVC boom. I made this awhile back. I use it on a tripod for portable work.

Attachments

• SUPER YAGI.jpg
    SUPER YAGI.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 887

gregg22

I make many of my vhf/uhf beams out of copper clad steel welding rod.It comes in 3 ft lengths and is cheap about 4 rods for a dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.