Man arrested for refusing to move for helicopter landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

Not a "paragod" who thinks it's his duty/right to save the world, just another arrogant jerk with entitlement issues, who thinks the universe revolves around him, and he should be allowed to do whatever he wants.

QDP2012

Aside from any apparent god-like attitude, a "paragod" (a.k.a. paramedic) is a pre-hospital care provider who "works the streets", someone who does know their way around an emergency scene, and does know better than to do what this person did.

A physician's assistant is an in-hospital care-provider, who is not necessarily trained and experienced in pre-hospital care, and in working emergency scenes...
<rant>
...and at least in this case, seems not to have enough street-sense to know when a noisy, heavy, helicopter is about to land on their car, and then to have enough sense to move said car or get squashed like a bug, not to mention having enough sense to not pass/interrupt emergency scenes by driving through/around them, unless directed to do so by on-scene personnel.

This might be one of those moments when Bill Engvall might say to the driver "...here's your sign..."

Personally, I think the driver should be sent to remedial-driving-school, and have a reckless-driving charge against his license, in addition to any charges or fines for failing to obey lawful orders from emergency personnel. Maybe his boss needs to have an orientation session with him to help him understand the difference between in-hospital and pre-hospital qualifications and training. The "move over laws" were probably created because of people like this guy. Since he already admits to a habit/history of this type of driving, maybe he should be restricted to riding mass-transit or taxi-cabs.
</rant>

Last edited:

CapStar362

i think he should be charged in some form for assisting in the death of the driver who died. now potentially we dont know wether if he interfered long enough to cause her death ultimately. but the sheer fact he did interfere and violate a active scene, involuntary manslaughter and a review of his medical license is in call.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
i think he should be charged in some form for assisting in the death of the driver who died. now potentially we dont know wether if he interfered long enough to cause her death ultimately. but the sheer fact he did interfere and violate a active scene, involuntary manslaughter and a review of his medical license is in call.

Complete exaggeration of the facts at hand.

Charges issued were appropriate.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I don't think emergency scene training has anything to do with it. Any 16 year old fresh out of driver's training knows when you see emergency vehicles blocking the road you don't drive around them on the shoulder. Especially after an officer demands you to stop or move your vehicle.

I hope they drunk tested this goofball. He is lucky he didn't get shot when he almost struck an officer after disregarding many demands to stop. I don't think this incident would have affected the patient's outcome.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Any 16 year old fresh out of driver's training knows when you see emergency vehicles blocking the road you don't drive around them on the shoulder.

If only that were true.

A few years ago, we had a street blocked on our border, along with a PD unit from the neighboring jurisdiction. Someone figured they knew better than the light rescue and patrol car on the one side, or the fire engine parked across the road on the other side of the flooded creek. Said person drove around the patrol car, on the grass, and into the water.

The officer did not write them a citation, I believe due to their car being swamped, and possibly hydro-locked.

Sent via Tapatalk

CapStar362

Complete exaggeration of the facts at hand.

Charges issued were appropriate.

in your perspective. i flew these ops for 7 years... just how long did he interfere.... those little bits of time even for a airborne lifeline op can mean life or death. you dont call Airmed unless its that critical or dire need of airmed....where a ground unit is either too far remote or when a ground unit cannot rapidly enough get a imminent death patient to emergency facilities and a life could be saved.

second article says, that after the ordeal, the helo was ordered to abort and wait, after seizing his license, then FINALLY he moved... the bird landed, but patient was now deceased.

how long of a situation did this guy cause? was it just long enough to cause the death of which could have been avoided by this guys ignorance as a medical person. and then look at the end of article,

When Allen was handcuffed, he asked, “What's this all about?” then blurted out that he passes emergency vehicles routinely.

"routinely"? meaning he has no value of a emergency situation or an area cordoned off for E-ops. willing to bet his little PA License gives him a sense of "Authority" to bypass active scenes, when it doesn't. PD and first responders are on scene, had no first responders been present, then yes, his medical knowledge could help.... but with multitudes of people with FAR Superior training and FAR higher authority than he has, he had NO RIGHT to violate that scene because he has a Medical License. his ignorance caused someone to die, whether it be directly his fault or indirectly related to the delay he caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.