Scantenna and RS Discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqs

Its time to replace the Coax on my Scantenna.I found some Coax made by GE 50 Ft Ultra Pro Digital HD Quad Shild R G 6 .it says its for Home Theater and high Performance Audio will this work for me ?.Now on to my next question I am putting up on the same mast a Radio Shack Discone should 50 ft or lower for now till I get the tower from my kids house anyway what is a good Coax for this antenna

joeuser

The Wretched
Its time to replace the Coax on my Scantenna.I found some Coax made by GE 50 Ft Ultra Pro Digital HD Quad Shild R G 6 .it says its for Home Theater and high Performance Audio will this work for me ?.Now on to my next question I am putting up on the same mast a Radio Shack Discone should 50 ft or lower for now till I get the tower from my kids house anyway what is a good Coax for this antenna

It'd probably work, could you do better? Sure. Do you have further details on it?

It really depends on what your planning to listen to. How long is you run going to be? Shorter is better. I prefer RG8X, 213, & LMR-SW540. LMR-600 is good. There is a lot out there. It really depends on your application

freqs

I monitor all range low band to 900 mhz.and as I said 50 ft or under for now on the Discovery and stay with 50 ft of coax on the scantenna .wide range of radios .trunking non trunking Milair.

joeuser

The Wretched
I monitor the same as you. It would work... You can do better though...

Hopefully someone else will contribute & you can get more & probably better, opinions...

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The Antennacraft ST-2 "Scantenna" uses 75 ohm coax cable such as RG-6. Not 50 ohm such as "RG8X, 213, & LMR-SW540. LMR-600" that were suggested. 75 ohm quad shield is best for your Scantenna. The Radio Shack discone is a completely different antenna, and I believe it uses 50 ohm coax.

joeuser

The Wretched
It does, that's what I was referring to. I have a ST2 which I was going to put up but after researching here & reading about the wind issues (regardless of using dowels or fiberglass bike flag poles) - I'm going to sling up another Discone... No gain but handles Kansas weather with just a little extra preparation...

lost_in_maine

Did you do any extra work to it? Wonder if this is a case of the older ones being built better...

The earlier models's used to break...there is a thread about that here...fix was to take a bicycle flag and insert in the long elements...I have 3 ST-2's all running Quad Core RG6U and get great results..
they can survive Maine winters...

joeuser

The Wretched
Well... this changes my idea about my ST2 sitting merrily in its box... OK, would it be best to support it with fiberglass rods (wooden dowels sounded to heavy and the warp & swell with heat, moisture, etc) just to be safe or do you think its good to go as-is out of the box? Its new... Red circle sticker on the box... Haven't opened it. Kansas gets wicked strong wind with T-storms gusts up to 80-90 mph possible. Typically, it will sustain maybe 40-50 through most storms... Appreciate the input thus far!

lost_in_maine

I've done nothing to mine, except maybe straighten a bent radial or 2, over the years when I've replaced Coax...I live in Northwestern Maine..with Extreme Weather Conditions ..Also have a Grove Scanner Beam up there, and a Scanner Master Discone .All Antennas have held up.
The only issue I ever had was a couple years ago was about 8 inches of ice, with maybe 3 feet of snow decided to melt did a number on my coax...but have since solved that issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.