• Icom R71a

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelxB

Hello all, I began shortwave listening late last year. I started out with a portable Shortwave radio (Tecsun Pl-600) added a long wire, and enjoyed what I could pick up. I've decided to upgrade to a tabletop. I've been wanting a R75 for awhile now, but don't really want to spend so much. On the other hand, the Icom R71a looks like it might receive just as good. Also has USB, LSB, CW, AM, and RTTY modes.

So basically, I want to save some money here. Is the R71a just as good for what I'm looking for in the R75? I'm a DXer, I want those hard to get signals, would the R71a do it for me?

Help me out here guys, most of you know more about this than me. Compare and contrast the two for me.
Thanks, 73

kf7yn

I've had both the R71A and R75. The 71A is a solid quad conversion receiver but it is dated and has it's quirks. By quirks, I mean the dreaded RAM memory battery problem in which the radio becomes inoperable when the lithium battery dies. Many people put in the aftermarket Willco no-fail memory module. I did that with mine. Another problem is the master oscillator trimmer caps often go bad and need to be replaced.

There are other common problems that were addressed here in RR forums. You can also do a google search for R71 problems and come up with more specific info.

For these reasons, I got a R75 with the Kiwa sync and filter mods and have been very happy with it. The R75 has twin passband tuning and very good DSP functions which go a good job digging out weak signals and reducing adjacent channel interference, noise and static. All in all, I prefer the R75.

ridgescan

+1 on what KF7YN stated. I have both and use both daily. They both do a great job on all modes. I got my r71a back in 2009, and it has run EVERY DAY since, as my main RXr. http://forums.radioreference.com/hf-mw-lw-general-discussion/146966-i-got-lucky.html
I bought my r75 in 2008 and am very happy all these years with it, but it took a backseat to the 71a right away. My 71a did get the EEB mods which include better audio and upgraded Collins filters and PBT in AM mode too.
It is very hard for me to recommend one over the other-but in my own personal view, the r71a is my preference.
It has a better feel operationally, right down to the analog meter. In this shack, the r75 is used just to give the 71a a break:)
OTOH, you'd stand a better chance of getting a newer-manufactured unit with the r75 and it, with its own set of fun DXing attributes, aint no slouch.
So based on that-go with the r75. You can never go wrong with one of these radios.
PS-still running my 71a with the same RAM battery I was supposed to change out back in 2010. No jinxies:D

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The older Icoms, like the R71a, started showing problems several years ago, with solder joints failing. I would think by now, most would be pretty bad, and would require a skillful tech to restore electrical integrity.

Alinco has a DX-R8T. I have no experience with it, but you might want to look into that, prior to making a decision.

Alinco DX-R8T Alinco DX-R8 Receiver

Have you considered some of the SDRs?

k9rzz

If you can get a nice R71a at a good price, then you'll be very pleased. However, like stated, it will probably need work sometime in the future because they are all getting old. (like all of us) :^(

MichaelxB

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I read about the problems with R71a's, not looking to buy something that could possibly fail on me in the near future.

I've thought about SDR's, while they are pretty neat things. I'm not sure if it's exactly what I want currently.

I've been doing some thinking, and was kind of deciding if I should I get a Yaesu FRG-100 Communicationss Receiver, pretty reliable little radios I hear. (I realize this is ICOM only receiver forum)

dkf435

I would take a R71A or R72 before a FRG-100, sorry but the Yaesu radios did not impress me. Have pretty much all the affordable Icom receivers.

David Kb7uns

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
The R71a is a good receiver if you have technical repair/ maintenance skills. I sold mine and replaced it with an R75. The R71a has the classic looks of a sophisticated military radio with analog S-Meter, heavy construction, etc., but as noted by others you risk the problems of aging components. The R-75 competes favorably with my Drake and JRC receivers. Just be sure to get a good external speaker: I find the Motorola and EFJohnson mobile speakers work fine and can be found at hamfests for about $5. - Les

osros

Feed Provider
Brought back memories of my R71a I was very happy with that unit but sold it to upgrade to a Tentec 350D. I enjoyed that unit as well but always thought the spectrum display was a little slow. I sold the Tentec as well when I thought I was done with SWL, made the buyer very happy was like new and a nice sell price. Now I miss them both wish I had them now.

I never experienced the R75 but if I where to buy a new unit the R75 would be it. Icom has not disappointed yet for my needs plus in the right price range for me. There are few radio options left that are true tabletop models. I may have to pick up a r75 before to long to add

ridgescan

Brought back memories of my R71a I was very happy with that unit but sold it to upgrade to a Tentec 350D. I enjoyed that unit as well but always thought the spectrum display was a little slow. I sold the Tentec as well when I thought I was done with SWL, made the buyer very happy was like new and a nice sell price. Now I miss them both wish I had them now.

I never experienced the R75 but if I where to buy a new unit the R75 would be it. Icom has not disappointed yet for my needs plus in the right price range for me. There are few radio options left that are true tabletop models. I may have to pick up a r75 before too long to add
yup:)

Status
Not open for further replies.