NS Railroad Police repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I saw an article in a recent "MissionCritical" magazine about "Policing the Railroads" and mention was made of NS having a 22 state NXDN repeater network for their Railroad Police.

What frequencies do they use for this Police repeater system? I see regular licensing updates for NS with the NXDN emissions designators, but I haven't seen any with a repeater (FB2) designation. And how would one know which freqs are for Police comms and which are for road, yard, etc.

Of course, the article mentions encryption, so that would nix listening to them with a NXDN radio, but I don't know if all NS L.E. comms are ENC or just some, but regardless, I was wondering what freqs they use besides the standard RR police 161.205.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
It would likely be the same frequencies they're using now, just digital.

That said, this is the first I've heard about it. Seems like they may have been simply talking about NS's regular radio network.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Well, if you can get a copy of "MissionCritical Communications" magazine and read the article, you would see why I ask what I did.

And what frequencies do they use now?

The article says they use encryption though, so it is really irrelevant, but it states it is a "repeater system with microwave" connections etc. so I seriously doubt it is the standard train-dispatch setup.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Well, if you can get a copy of "MissionCritical Communications" magazine and read the article, you would see why I ask what I did.

And what frequencies do they use now?

The article says they use encryption though, so it is really irrelevant, but it states it is a "repeater system with microwave" connections etc. so I seriously doubt it is the standard train-dispatch setup.

What frequencies do they use now? Well, probably any of the existing railroad frequencies, just the same as the trains do.

I'm not in NS territory, but I would think that someone else would have noticed a bunch of NXDN encrypted traffic.

And I can't imagine that NS can afford to duplicate their systemwide radio network just for NSRR Police. Hell, they can't even afford to purchase new engines like they need to, instead they're buying old junk from other class 1's.

Nasby

I live less than 3 miles from one of NS's busiest mainlines.

I have not heard NS Police on any frequency (road, dispatch, police, etc.) since they took over the line from Conrail.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
And I can't imagine that NS can afford to duplicate their systemwide radio network just for NSRR Police.

I guess they are just lying in the article.

Thanks for the responses.

Nasby

I guess they are just lying in the article.

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe just trying to re-assure their customers that their shipments are safe on the good ole' NS.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
?? They had no response, nor were they asked anything.

I asked if anyone on here knew about the NS Police NXDN repeater system, as was mentioned in an industry magazine article.

Other than the mention in the article, it seems pretty top secret.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
September 2014 issue of "MissionCritical Communications" magazine

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I would like to read the article, just can't seem to find it online.

slapshot0017

NS Police are using 160.56000 MHz. The Channel is NXDN, Repeated and Encrypted... In New Jersey I have received multiple transmissions, received an ID, but the transmission was a garbled mess... I have test Channels set for encryption and it was the same noise I hear on those channels... The network is probably setup via a microwave network or underground fiber optic code line.

SCPD

QRT
I noticed more and more rail roads enc police. To counter vandalism theft and anti terrorism. Primarily theft.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Article quote:

...." The Norfolk Southern Police
operate on a 160 MHz system with base radios distributed across its 22-state operation, which
allows field special agents to communicate with the police communications center in Atlanta. These
base radios are controlled via microwave and leased circuits for dispatch and communications
purposes. The NXDN digital radios include encryption, ".....

-End quote.

Looks like it exists to me.

quarterwave

Let's get off the guys back. This is why people shy away from here, some people jump all over them about how they ask a question or make a statement.

I read the article, I get the magazine.

My take on it was they use bases on their own frequency, positioned along side their operations bases on the rail lines, and interconnected back to their operations center via the same microwave, T1, Fiber, etc as everything else. I don't monitor RR much, but the article did prompt me to look up some local licenses and locations. I did find a tower site they have 3 bases on, and it is not directly adjacent to the rail line, but I think it is just positioned for good coverage in rough terrain. I normally see VHF antennae on masts and small towers on the rail lines in my area. Not sure they operate many "repeaters", but I think most of it are bases, as the coverage is more unit-to-base and back, rather than unit-to-unit. I think the article also mentions they many time seek local law enforcement cooperation and interoperation, which could include radio comms.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Article quote:

...." The Norfolk Southern Police
operate on a 160 MHz system with base radios distributed across its 22-state operation, which
allows field special agents to communicate with the police communications center in Atlanta. These
base radios are controlled via microwave and leased circuits for dispatch and communications
purposes. The NXDN digital radios include encryption, ".....

-End quote.

Looks like it exists to me.

Sounds like the existing NS radio network to me. Just not for the exclusive use of NSR PD

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I noticed more and more rail roads enc police. To counter vandalism theft and anti terrorism. Primarily theft.

On my road, special agents only use the radio when they need to talk to trains. The rest is all cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.