Unitrunker error: No working folder access

Status
Not open for further replies.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
I'm trying to get Unitrunker installed on an HP netbook.

Windows XP
2x DVB sticks, one currently assigned to Trunk88.

Installation of Unitrunker 1.0.29.5 goes fine, but on launch, I get an error, "No working folder access. Invalid installation or shortcut. Program will exit." I have no idea what's wrong! I've uninstalled and installed multiple times, each time getting the same error. Where do I start to troubleshoot?!

Thanks.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
I've read that thread, but I don't understand the post "It sounds like the issue is that you have the program files on one drive, and the user data on the other drive. You should try to get them back together on the same drive if possible."

... this is the first time I'm installing it so there's no existing data anywhere.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I ran into the same thing in a Windows 7 computer. I then installed it as an administrator in Windows XP compatibility mode and it worked fine.

Don't know if it was the right thing but it worked.

chris

polkaroo

Missed him again!
cg, thanks! That was the kicker!
Unitrunker, I'm simply clicking the Start menu shortcut installed by the installer.

The program installed correctly (no errors) so simply running the program as Administrator worked fine. Asked me about the data files since it's first time I'm running Unitrunker.

Interestingly enough, ran into the same problem on a Windows 7 machine, so following cg's tip, I ran it in Compatiblity Mode>Windows XP SP3, and it works fine now. For kicks I tried it on my CF-19 running Windows 8.1 Pro and Unitrunker works fine without any workarounds.

SCPD

QRT
You may have an very old shortcut. If it's working, you can leave it as-is. The program does not need or prompt for Administrator access. If you run it from a bad shortcut (or double click on it from Explorer), Windows assigns the EXE folder as the working folder - which requires Administrator rights on Vista and later.

The shortcut usually points to your %APPDATA% folder - which is no where near Program Files.

Just for grins, go to the Add / Remove area of Control Panel and double-check you don't have something left over from an older installation of the program.

polkaroo

Missed him again!
Ah - it may have been a bad shortcut created in the Start menu, AND I also tried to run it directly from the /Program Files/Unitrunker folder.

I don't have an old version of Unitrunker installed in the Add or Remove Programs control panel.

But regardless, the compatibility settings in Windows 7 fixed that, plus running as Administrator on the XP machine.

cg

Premium Subscriber
When I ran into the problem, it was on a new install, the computer never had UT on it before.

I will be setting up another one in a bit, same type computer, Win7 on remanufactured Dell. I will see if it allows me to install directly

chris

SCPD

QRT
If you do a default install, you won't see any problems. If you chose a custom folder, all bets are off and you're on your own.

garys

Premium Subscriber
This may be a dumb question, but what is the default directory? I'm having the same problem and have to run Unitrunker in Administrator mode.

If you do a default install, you won't see any problems. If you chose a custom folder, all bets are off and you're on your own.

n3ouc

Premium Subscriber
I too had the same install issue with a windows 7 machine. Never had Unitrunker installed before and I did perform the default install. Also the fix for me was the same as above, run in XP compatibility mode did the trick. Otherwise I pulled my hair out for days trying to get it to run. Glad I came across this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.