Rust on a Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW4AU

I have acquired 15 sections of Rohn 25G from a Silent Key. The tower was standing for 30 or more years and has some rust issues. I do not plan on erecting the whole thing, but I would like to put up 80 feet or so.

I do have an antenna installer helping me. He has been working on them for 30+ years and he is ensuring that we take our time and observe all structural and safety rules. He has assured me that the rust on the tower sections are not going to affect the structural integrity.

The other posts here give me some really good information on tower placement, grounding, base installation etc - and I see that there is a lot to consider before we start any assembly. I plan to rely on the installer for those items. The only part that is on me is making sure the rust is removed and the sections are painted. That is what my question is about today. I've heard a lot of different opinions on the local repeaters, so I wanted to get some views from the site here.

The wire brush/cold galvanizing spray route seems like an easy way to go, but it isn't terribly cheap. I estimate that it will take 1 1/2 cans of Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Spray per section, and those cans are $10 each at Lowe's. How does that compare to the cost of having a section Hot Dipped? I've found one place in Birmingham, AL that does that, but they haven't gotten back to me with a price yet. Someone on the repeater guessed it would be $30 a section, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Plus, if $15 worth of Cold Galvanizing Spray gives it good coverage - is that enough? I would assume after reading the site here that there is as much or more rust on the inside as there is on the outside. Would the Hot Dip be better overall insurance?

I don't want to go overboard on cost if there is no reason for it, but even more than that I do not want to compromise on safety and integrity of the structure. Any help is appreciated!

Kyle

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have cleaned up a few towers over the years. After using a wirebrush I use rustolium brushed on. My fathers tower is now 10 years old and still in excellent shape after paiting and intstalling. He didn't want it to be noticable so we painted it hunter green. I have also done one at a remote tower site. It was only 30' and the wind side is starting to show metal again. This is in a rough environment but i'll most likely just hit it again with a spray can.

jackj

I was given 60 ft. of Rohn 25 tower that came down during a wind storm. It had been installed as a self-supporting tower and Rohn 25 is not spec'd as self-supporting. The tower had been up for around 10 or 15 yrs and did have some light rust. I cut off the bent and broken portion and stuck it in some Sackcrete. It has been standing, bracketed to my house, for about 35 yrs. and looks to be good for another 40 yrs. In short, it will out last me so I wouldn't be afraid to use your tower as is..

SCPD

QRT
If it was me, I'd just paint it as is with some silver or white Rustoleum, and put it up.
I would brush paint it, not spray paint.
And the reason I said white is because, believe it or not, it's the color that "stands out" the least against the sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.