Totally Lost in Twin Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyhippie

I recently moved to Idaho. I used Radio Reference to find live feeds for the police radio where I used to live but I'm finding that there are no live feeds for my new home (surprise, surprise).

I'm thinking of buying a scanner but I have absolutely no experience in radio or other communications technology and this site is pretty much all greek to me.

Can someone please help me? From what I understand:

Most of the fire/police radio traffic in Twin Falls & the surrounding counties is handled via SIRCOMM which is NOT a trunked system. But, SIRCOMM has a way of patching into ICAWIN which IS a trunked system.

So... If I want to listen to local Fire/EMS or Police radio I don't need a scanner that will monitor trunked systems. If I want to listen to local Fire/EMS when they're talking to someone using the ICAWIN system I do need a scanner that can monitor a trunked system and probably a pretty expensive one.

Basically I need to know what to look for in a scanner to listen to SIRCOMM local stuff.

Please help... My brain hurts.

sloop

I was under the impression that most (if not all) if Idaho was P25 digital (700mHz) using one or more formats (IIMARS, ICAWIN, etc.). I know that there are some broadcast on VHF/UHF analog but In my last trip to Idaho I only had one 'hit' on the analog freq. I had programmed in. I try to visit my son twice a year and I love to listen in (I'm a retired firefighter...haven't been able to get the 'smoke' out of me yet,lol). I use the radio reference frequencies...is there anything I'm missing? Also a scanner that receives 700 mHz digital trunking goes for $500+, in my retirement that's not cheap. Please let me know where I can find one for $100 to $200. I apologize if this entry sounds 'rude or harsh' but I truly would like to know what frequencies to program in (I15 corridor from Utah to Spencer and US20 to Ashton) and where I could get a cheap digital scanner. Thanks

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
I was under the impression that most (if not all) if Idaho was P25 digital (700mHz) using one or more formats (IIMARS, ICAWIN, etc.). I know that there are some broadcast on VHF/UHF analog but In my last trip to Idaho I only had one 'hit' on the analog freq. I had programmed in. I try to visit my son twice a year and I love to listen in (I'm a retired firefighter...haven't been able to get the 'smoke' out of me yet,lol). I use the radio reference frequencies...is there anything I'm missing? Also a scanner that receives 700 mHz digital trunking goes for $500+, in my retirement that's not cheap. Please let me know where I can find one for $100 to $200. I apologize if this entry sounds 'rude or harsh' but I truly would like to know what frequencies to program in (I15 corridor from Utah to Spencer and US20 to Ashton) and where I could get a cheap digital scanner. Thanks
In the eastern side of the state where you specified, most of the activity is on 700 MHz. Fire/EMS are generally simulcast on vhf analog and 700MHz, Law activity is almost all on 700 MHz only(some encryption). ISP is simulcast on UHF/700 MHz.

Note, the Twin Falls area has more uhf/vhf analog activity and less 700 MHz than the eastern side of the state or the Boise area. Many of the more rural areas of the state are not on 700 MHz. 700 MHz is most used in the more populated areas and along the major highways/ Interstates (I15, I84. I86, I90)

I don't know of any $100-200 digital scanners, although some digital scanners are now selling for around $400 I believe.

For E. Idaho frequencies see:
700 MHz
Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (ICAWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Idaho - Scanner Frequencies
Eastern Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (EICAWIN) Trunking System, Multiple Locations, Idaho - Scanner Frequencies

Analog
Bannock, Bingham, Bonneville, Jefferson, Clark, Madison, Fremont Counties
ISP

I hope this helps some.

Last edited:

JohnL999

Premium Subscriber
Main Trading Company in Texas has a few brand new GRE PSR-500 scanners that work well with the ICAWIN system (as least here in North Idaho). They're only asking $239 for them with free shipping. Since these were manufactured by GRE (which is effectively out of business) the warranty is only 90 days through MTC. Whistler is selling the same scanner as the WS1040 for close to $400. It looks like the Whistler has a one year warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.