Patch scanner audio into phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Here's a project I was interested in working on.

I would like to patch scanner or radio audio into a phone line so I can simply call the number and monitor the scanner/radio audio. I plan on listening regularly and prefer not to stream to my phone as my data plan is not unlimited, while my minutes are.

My VOIP modem has two ports so I will be able to assign a second number to the second line. I am not concerned about unauthorized callers since I can either white list my cell number only or enable a password though my provider.

I'm basically looking for a device to interface a 3.5mm audio cable to RJ11 phone jack to audio is sent from the scanner/radio one way to the phone line. Those in broadcasting... think like a setup similar to IFB except cheaper and simpler.

Thanks in advance.

n0nhp

Might work but the answer and hangup would be a problem, An 8 ohm to 300 ohm audio transformer would get the audio.
What I would do to avoid having to breadboard the auto answer and hangup hardware is get a Google voice number, run the audio into a computer with the Gmail app open, select the proper input for the scanner and bob's your uncle. all the connect and disconnect is taken care of, no worries about audio levels and transformers etc. Setting up the filter for inbound calls is also simple.
Only difference I see is that you will have to leave a computer running.

Bruce

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Might work but the answer and hangup would be a problem, An 8 ohm to 300 ohm audio transformer would get the audio.
What I would do to avoid having to breadboard the auto answer and hangup hardware is get a Google voice number, run the audio into a computer with the Gmail app open, select the proper input for the scanner and bob's your uncle. all the connect and disconnect is taken care of, no worries about audio levels and transformers etc. Setting up the filter for inbound calls is also simple.
Only difference I see is that you will have to leave a computer running.

Bruce

I'd prefer not to leave my computer running 24/7 but this seems like a good way to get started. I will try it tonight. Thanks.

n5ims

Hello,

Here's a project I was interested in working on.

I would like to patch scanner or radio audio into a phone line so I can simply call the number and monitor the scanner/radio audio. I plan on listening regularly and prefer not to stream to my phone as my data plan is not unlimited, while my minutes are.

My VOIP modem has two ports so I will be able to assign a second number to the second line. I am not concerned about unauthorized callers since I can either white list my cell number only or enable a password though my provider.

I'm basically looking for a device to interface a 3.5mm audio cable to RJ11 phone jack to audio is sent from the scanner/radio one way to the phone line. Those in broadcasting... think like a setup similar to IFB except cheaper and simpler.

Thanks in advance.

There are devices made for radio stations and small sports networks to distribute their audio over the phone lines (basically the originator produces the live show, sending the audio to a bank of these devices to distribute the show and the remote station dials up the device's number they're assigned and broadcasts the audio from that line). While it's much more popular (and often much less costly) to distribute the audio over the internet now days, it was quite popular a few decades ago. They're also used for dial-up IFB audio used by talent doing a remote broadcast to hear commercials and other queues from the station.

JK Audio AutoHybrid - Telephone Audio Interface AUTO B&H Photo
Comrex TCB-2

Some things to watch out for:
* Make sure that the device you use doesn't overdrive the phone line (too loud) or provides too small of a level (too low of a volume).
* Make sure that the device is reliable releasing the line when the caller hangs up. We had issues where the line-extender coils the phone company put on our lines caused our devices to not sense the remote hang-up. VIOP lines may not provide the needed signaling as well.
* Verify that the device in question (especially if you whip something up on your own) is certified to properly and legally interface with the telephone network.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
You could rig up something that automatically couples in music on hold, with a system that allows external supply of the music. You just use the scanner as the music source. (Claim that it is music to your ears, if anyone asks.)

Sent via Tapatalk

CapStar362

Tampa do you have the second line provisioned in the bill for service? if you activate that line by using the interface in the modem, dont be surprised when a second line charge appears on your statement or credit charges.

the ISP, WILL know the line has been activated. dont some phones accept a "Line-In" minijack 3.5mm feed? which relays like tapes and other audio devices directly into the phone base?

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
My VOIP provider is separate from my ISP. The second line of my VOIP modem could either be configured as a second line of my primary business number, a fax line, or a totally separate phone number which I plan on ordering for this project.

My only issue at this point is that I need to figure out the interface. The problem with using a phone that has a 3.5mm line-in is that there needs to be a way for the phone to automatically answer when it's called. A previous poster provided links to two devices that do just that.

I really do appreciate the suggestions everyone.

RyanRox099

Premium Subscriber
Have you looked at a radio phone patch? Like a zetron or CS systems unit. You could wire the audio in from the scanner. Phone patch would auto answer the phone when it rang.

Status
Not open for further replies.