RS version of WS 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherubim

I doubt they ever will. Whistler might want to keep the WS-1080 exclusive.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a new RS version of the Pro-18.

DJ11DLN

I doubt they ever will. Whistler might want to keep the WS-1080 exclusive.

Having said that I wouldn't mind a new RS version of the Pro-18.

Hopefully it would be at least somewhat more capable than the original Pro-18 was...or priced a lot more competitively, not counting the fire-sale discounts of the last year. :wink:

Sadly, though, I suspect that you're right...RS has more important things (such as even staying in business at all) on its plate right now. :roll:

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I would avoid any Radio Shack branded scanners from here on. Remember, you're dependent on them for firmware updates. GRE firmware updates did not work on RS branded scanners, even though GRE manufactured them. RS was also very slow to release firmware updates.

Given the uncertainty of Radio Shack even staying in business, you not only risk the lack of firmware updates, but also your warranty.

dkf435

Still looking for keypad for PRO-106 now maybe have chance for one from Whistler, but why would you buy a scanner with parts supply that is embargoed and firmware dependent on a company doing its best to alienate customers and go out of business.

David Kb7uns

DJ11DLN

Speculatin'

Well, since they bothered to have Whistler produce several of their other GRE-built scanners under new model #'s it is a possibility. The Pro-18 would fall into that category. I'm not holding my breath, just speculating. And I'm frankly surprised that RS did as much as they have, in light of their current difficulties.

And I would think that the previous formula of trying to sell a much-less-capable version for more money than the PSR-800 would not fly this time. I'd hope RS learned their lesson with that. If I hadn't gotten mine during the fire sale, I'd never have paid their retail price for it. I'd have gotten an 800 (or an x96xt, or something else far more reasonable) and been done with it.

But if it could be upgraded to decode p.2, even with the other missing features left out, and priced between the 651 and the 1080...now that's a product that just might sell fairly well, an "economy-grade" p.2 scanner. Still just speculating here, so please don't jump down my throat, I know the -18 allegedly lacked necessary circuitry to make this jump, but it's the same form factor as the 800/1080, so at least it's in the realm of possibility. Whistler might even offer a version of their own to bridge the gap between the 1040/1065 and the 1080/1095. I'd just hope they get rid of that awkward bulls-eye control layout...

SCPD

QRT
1080,800 and radio shack version

You can do database updates only with the Whistler or GRE software on the PSR-800,WS-1080 and the radio shack version.

DJ11DLN

PRO668 scanner manual can be seen at the FCC webpage
https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=2397538

9/22/2014 was date of authorization.

chris

Link doesn't come up. Just a little you-can't-go-here text: "You are not authorized to access this page."

That said, they've surprised me yet again. I really did not think they'd do it. :eek:

Did you manage to find any specs on it? Just wondering if it would be the same as the Pro-18, or if anything on my wish list had come true. For which I am not gonna hold my breath, though I'd love to be proved wrong.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Links like that don't work on FCC website. You need to search for the FCC ID (HSXSC10).

DJ11DLN

Thanks for the tip, UPMan. 2 interesting photos but no other concrete info I could figure out. Looks as if they did dump the bulls-eye layout (hooray). Looks very much like just a PSR-800/WS-1080 with the RS and iScan logos on it. This would tend to follow what they did with the other mirror models. I'll see if I can extract the graphics files from the PDF later and try to get a little more magnification on them.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
O/M and some test info is also there. I would be surprised if there were any differences (other than logos and perhaps what accessories are included).

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
O/M and some test info is also there. I would be surprised if there were any differences (other than logos and perhaps what accessories are included).

Another avatar change.... Hmmmmm

"2 More"

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the link to the RS Pro668 users manual? Sorry I cannot find it. The PRO668 may be on sale in RS stores after Xmas. Is it worth taking the risk to save a few bucks? My concern is the firmware updates. Also, I could not find any support info on the RS site. .

Status
Not open for further replies.