NYPD question - satellite receivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been curious as to the approximate number of satellite receivers deployed by NYPD.

Anyone know the answer to the following:

1) on a typical precinct/sector channel, how many?
2) on a typical citywide channel (e.g., SOD) how many?
3) are hard wire tie lines in use, or microwave?

Thanks.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
It's a HUGE system.

The big CW channels can have around a hundred voters and get remarkably good coverage, all the more impressive when you consider how much of it is lower powered portables.

Precinct dispatch zones obviously fewer and vary widely, depending on the particular terrain of the coverage area.

They use both telco and microwave for backhaul.

wiredwrx

I will add that, back in the "Saber" days, they used low power Sabers. Making the system coverage even more impressive

It's a HUGE system.

The big CW channels can have around a hundred voters and get remarkably good coverage, all the more impressive when you consider how much of it is lower powered portables.

Precinct dispatch zones obviously fewer and vary widely, depending on the particular terrain of the coverage area.

They use both telco and microwave for backhaul.

I guess then on a channel such as SOD, the total number of satellite receivers in service could equal the combined number of satellite receivers in place for each precinct/sector in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens (I believe SOD Staten Island does not operate on SOD main)?

blaze

Premium Subscriber
I guess then on a channel such as SOD, the total number of satellite receivers in service could equal the combined number of satellite receivers in place for each precinct/sector in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens (I believe SOD Staten Island does not operate on SOD main)?

There are a lot of CW voters, though I don't believe SOD & TFC have a voter at every precinct receiver site; I think it's more like half or so of them. Also, IIRC there are receiver sites that are only used by voters on the citywide channels and not any precinct channels (particularly on taller buildings).

There are separate output frequencies that rebroadcast SOD, TFC, CW1, CW2 and CW3 to Staten Island, but there's a single common input frequency for each channel used for both the SI the rest of the city. E.g, SOD output is transmitted on 470.8375 (from Manhattan) and 482.4875 (from Staten Island), but the input frequency is 473.8375 for everyone. The SI voters for SOD receive on 473.4875, just like the ones in Mn, Bx, Qns and Bkn do.

ff026

Feed Provider
There are a lot of CW voters, though I don't believe SOD & TFC have a voter at every precinct receiver site; I think it's more like half or so of them. Also, IIRC there are receiver sites that are only used by voters on the citywide channels and not any precinct channels (particularly on taller buildings).

They are receivers not voters. Receivers are placed in the field and the voting comparators are in queens at the radio shop in the NYPD system. The SOD receivers are spread through out the city. Usually they are collocated with receivers for each division when space permits.

The system is designed for 95% on hip in building coverage.

There are separate output frequencies that rebroadcast SOD, TFC, CW1, CW2 and CW3 to Staten Island, but there's a single common input frequency for each channel used for both the SI the rest of the city. E.g, SOD output is transmitted on 470.8375 (from Manhattan) and 482.4875 (from Staten Island), but the input frequency is 473.8375 for everyone. The SI voters for SOD receive on 473.4875, just like the ones in Mn, Bx, Qns and Bkn do.

Staten Island SOD,Traffic and citywide channels are completely different repeater inputs and outputs. They do not share a common input frequency with there "mainland" repeaters. They are linked in the voter room in queens. There is a separate channel in the radios that are authorized, for SOD then SOD Staten Island as there is with traffic and the Citywide frequencies.

So when SOD is selected in the radio the next channel is SOD SI. Same with traffic.

I stand correct according to my notes the citywide channels I.e. CW1,CW2 and CW3 do share a common input frequency.

Last edited:

blaze

Premium Subscriber
They are receivers not voters. Receivers are placed in the field and the voting comparators are in queens at the radio shop in the NYPD system. The SOD receivers are spread through out the city. Usually they are collocated with receivers for each division when space permits.

The system is designed for 95% on hip in building coverage.

The terminology with which I'm familiar (and using here) is that voting receiver is a "voter" and the thing that compares S/N (the "votes") a "comparator"; sorry if that was confusing.

Staten Island SOD,Traffic and citywide channels are completely different repeater inputs and outputs. They do not share a common input frequency with there "mainland" repeaters. They are linked in the voter room in queens. There is a separate channel in the radios that are authorized for SOD then SOD Staten Island as there is with traffic and the Citywide frequencies.

No, I'm afraid that's wrong. Single input, two different outputs.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
but the input frequency is 473.8375 for everyone. The SI voters for SOD receive on 473.4875, just like the ones in Mn, Bx, Qns and Bkn do.

Whoops ,meant 473.8375, of course.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Like I said I stand corrected.

Right; your update and my post crossed.

The RR DB is also wrong about this, BTW. It lists SI SOD and SI TFC as having separate inputs on 485 MHz, which, like SI CW1, CW2 and CW3, they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.