• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR4550 firmware update to change bandsplit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4MSG

I bought 4 XPR4550 radios and one is in the high band UHF 450-512Mhz. Can the firmware be updated to make it it a low band UHF? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
No the firmwarecan not be updated to change it from a S to Q split.

You can how ever do some hex editing and be able to allow the radio to be programmed out of band.

Do a google search limiting responses to
:Communications.support

The vb search sucks

SCPD

QRT
My suggestion ....

... Rather than getting into hex editing and all that, flip the radio.
Sell it on here or eBay or wherever, and just buy a low UHF for what you get for the hi UHF.

PACNWDude

Has anyone on here successfully hex edited a XPR-4550? Just curious, but the idea of flipping it and buying the other band is a good one. These radios are new enough, and there are plenty of buyers. Good mobile radio that has been sold as the replacement for the CDM series of mobiles.

N4KVE

... Rather than getting into hex editing and all that, flip the radio.
Sell it on here or eBay or wherever, and just buy a low UHF for what you get for the hi UHF.
The problem with this is the 403-470 radios are in higher demand & have a higher price because the "hams" want them. A few years ago when I started with Trbo, a 403-470 XPR6550 was going for $400, while a 450-512 XPR6550 in similar condition was going for $300. That's a hundred less. I still spent the extra hundred for the 403-470 version. However, later on I did pick up a 450-512 XPR6300, & it works fine in the 440 band. So to sell a high split radio in hopes of getting a low split radio, plan on adding money. [here in Florida, anyways] Speak to my friend Ken, whose in the Carolina's. Nice guy, & maybe he'll swap you. Please do not hesitate to call 828-389-5000 or email with any questions.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'll second that about Ken Bryant. He is a stand up guy, unlike the other turds on SCAMBAY selling broken/stolen/counterfeit garbage pail radios.

FWIW there is nothing wrong with a 450-520 split XPR anything. The hex edit mod is quick and you'll have a radio that covers the whole T-band (until the greedy pig telecom cartels take over T-band in a few years) which is actually more desirable in the Northeast and California, where T-band is heavily used by public safety and LMR.

After all, isn't part of being a ham "pushing the limits"? In the 1970s it would mean changing out caps, coils and pushing those slugs to the board to get that mid split HT220 to downband to 2 meters.

Today, it's just hex editing a codeplug or DLL/EXE file to accomplish the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.