Roswell residents crying foul over proposed URS tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Here we go again, the North Futon elitists don't think a reliable, working public safety radio system is necessary.

Can't help but wonder if the "anonymous newsletter" came from the same whacknut in Johns Crack that cried about a prime site for the new Fulton county system going in up there.

Roswell neighbors upset over plan to build radio tower | www.wsbtv.com

Oh I know, the cops should just use cell phones.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
That's pretty exaggeratory, just because the local residents don't agree with a towers proposed location, surely doesn't mean they simply don't "think a reliable, working public safety radio system is necessary. "

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Have you seen the flyer RRR? Obviously not.

The flyer is the same "exaggeratory" nonsense spewed by the same mouth breather in Johns Crack who has stonewalled the Fulton prime site project, which is only going to end up costing taxpayers even more money.

The people hear the one side of the story, then get the combined misinformation that this "cell tower" (which it is not) was all done in secret. They oppose something that is solely to benefit public safety.

It wasn't done in secret. The FCC filing is 100 percent public.Just because people don't pay attention or bother to attend the city council meetings doesn't mean the city was trying to hide anything at all.

If the people actually KNEW what this is for, they would not be so quick to condemn the city, the project managers, or EA for trying to get this system off the ground.

K4SVT

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Give RRR a Break there Mr. MTS2000DES..hes down in south ga...:)

Anyway isn't there a tower on top of a hill by a apartment complex on Roswell Rd?

Sent via LG G2 on Sprint 4G LTE Spark

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I commented on the OP's original exaggeratory statement.

I believe there needs to be more transparency in government and citizen relations.

Regardless is this was on an FCC website, it stinks of officials trying to sneak it in under the radar without any public input.

CapStar362

how? the FCC Application is in clear PUBLIC view, you just have to know how to search for it..... no secrets, its all there.

take a good look at the stop tower page... do you see anything that makes clear sense on that page? "Combat" Tower? "Microwave Radiation" ? 24/7 Beacons for air traffic avoidance? <-- of which is REQUIRED for any tower exceeding ( IIRC 75 feet ) Bright strobe White for Day and Red or Low intensity white for night.

look at the link for the "FCC Application is Inaccurate/Insufficient " it takes you to a link concerning Aviation avoidance lighting and painting....... what does that have to do with "FCC Application"

how about this part:
Obsolete Antenna - w/ Marginal Survivability in High Wind

^ Manufacturer Confirmed

but no link to confirm that the manufacturer did confirm anything? pure speculation there..... with no hard evidence

that person just has issues, plain and simple. needs a bigger tin foil full clothing set! or just unplug himself from the digital world and the world itself.

Last edited:

K4SVT

Banned
Why cant we all just get along?...public it too damn hard..

swm77662

Actually every active transmitter does emit RF radiation, so if the frequency is in the microwave range then it would be emitting microwave radiation...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Actually every active transmitter does emit RF radiation, so if the frequency is in the microwave range then it would be emitting microwave radiation...

700/800MHz is hardly microwave.

The microwave backhaul uses point to point dishes that have a narrow beam width and are hardly a threat to anyone below and away from them.

The FCC study has been completed and the site plan is well within acceptable limits for the area.

Much ado about nothing.

K4SVT

Banned
Anyone please answer my question? :)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Ironically, the same ones who cry and whine about transparency to the public when a department goes to encryption seem to be the same ones who think it's just fine for said government agencies to stick a huge tower adjacent to a neighborhood and claim "it's for your own good", without any local input from the public.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission I guess.

Ho hum....

ButchGone

I agree, public safety systems are vital to our communities. However, it is NOT fair to say a license application posted on the FCC database is adequate public notification. Aside from us hobbyists and people directly involved with communications, the public at large has no idea about searching this database. The local governments did not do proper notification to residents in the area, so residents do have a valid reason to raise a stink. While RF exposure is debatable, residents have other concerns such as aesthetics of their community, decline of property values due to a monstrous tower and not being allowed to give their input in public meetings. I'm also an amateur radio operator so antennas and towers are cool to me - they are not cool with neighbors and we should consider everyone's concerns. By two bits.
BG..

CapStar362

im pretty sure that neighborhood values will go down too when emergency services cannot be effectively rendered or even to an extent provided without rapid response.

they hold the meetings.... everytime. less than 1% of a population usually shows up.

swm77662, MTS is dead on. those parabolic dishes literally sniper a signal to the dish its pointed at. very little to almost no spread. and the guy in the stopthetower website.... obviously has no real education in either FCC ops or FAA ops. any tower exceeding 50-75 feet in height above ground MUST have collision lights. High Intensity-white for daylight and low intensity red or white for night. they do NOT wake you up at night. i have a tower just behind my yard... i never see the light flashing through my curtain-less window even in a pitch black room. they BARELY produce enough ambient light to make a shadow further than 20 feet from the source. they are focused with lenses in a field of view only 10-12 degrees down from perfect horizontal, and going to vertical up with the most light. out of that field of view they become very dim.

so yeah, blame the public for not showing up to regular meetings that supposedly dont exist. they do. blame the public for making outlandish squabbling horsepoop comments. give the victory to the people who cry foul, but when something happens to them, then get all sympathetic with them. blame the public who drives thorns into these issues and when something happens to them, try to sue the very people who they argued with to protect them with technology and these "Towers"

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Seems the elephant in the room here is for them to possibly "Look for another site for the tower" (Gasp!)

swm77662

Microwaves are a form of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths ranging from as long as one meter to as short as one millimeter, or equivalently, with frequencies between 300 MHz (0.3 GHz) and 300 GHz

swm77662

I'm not arguing, I'm just pointing out that the author is correct about the microwave emissions, lol.
I think the author is using "microwave" as catch word for the....masses that would not take the time to research.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Here's the conundrum.

We all want wireless devices (cellular, LMR, broadband, whatever) to work everywhere inside every structure, over every land mass, in every type of weather, flawlessly, without fail...

The laws of physics of RF are what they are. It takes INFRASTRUCTURE to make it happen. And INFRASTRUCTURE COSTS MONEY. Infrastructure ain't pretty to most folks. But it is what it is. No one wants to think about the sewer system, or having a power sub station near, but they are needed for having a modern society that depends on it.

Radio towers are necessary. Public safety radio systems are a great investment when planned well. The current system used by Roswell and all the north county cities was built in 1990. Close to a quarter century ago.

It's long time for a replacement. Ask anyone who uses this system for life safety communications. Because it was built for a 1990 landscape, population, building density, noise floor, etc, it is woefully inadequate. The system core is an antique by today's standards. The vendor stopped making parts in the early 2000s. It has been failing more and more frequently every day.

More sites are needed. They are GOING TO HAPPEN. Fighting it only costs the agencies MORE MONEY.

and who is going to pay for that? I'll give you a hint, the same people moaning about the 400 foot tower.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Ironically, the same ones who cry and whine about transparency to the public when a department goes to encryption seem to be the same ones who think it's just fine for said government agencies to stick a huge tower adjacent to a neighborhood and claim "it's for your own good", without any local input from the public.

Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask permission I guess.

Ho hum....

Ironically, the same people who whine about these needed infrastructure improvements then further whine and complain when they fight them, and even more costly alternatives are then ordered.

Ho Hum...

K4SVT

Banned
Money talk doesnt it??

Status
Not open for further replies.