Upcoming 700MHz changes in North Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

Here's some info from the Region 8 coordination council:

• [FONT=&quot]Bergen County has applied for seven 700 MHz frequencies, presumably to eventually migrate the T-Band system to 700.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Newark PD has applied for six of the Essex County 700 MHz allocated frequencies. Unknown if they plan on building out their own system, or if they will do what Union County did by sharing the NJICS core with their own site, or perhaps they might just add those frequencies to the West Orange Simulcast and jump on board like Newark Fire already has.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Hudson County has applied for six 700 MHz frequencies. Unknown what their plans are at this time.[/FONT]
  • And finally, perhaps most interesting and potentially welcome news - Middlesex County has applied to change their current allocation from eight 25 kHz channel blocks to sixteen 12.5 kHz channel blocks.
    [FONT=&quot]They will also orphan (give back) eight of those, leaving them with eight 12.5 kHz frequencies. This of course is significant since OpenSky is 4-slot TDMA that operates on 25 kHz channels, vs. P25 Phase II which is 2-slot TDMA operating on 12.5 kHz channels. This is fairly strong sign that they have probably scrapped the OpenSky system for good...
    [/FONT]

AC2OY

Newark only applied for six? They use nine now I think? Wow I guess the Dectives and maybe the task forces are going to share? I would think they would gave to have one for citywide so all the five districts can hear each other? Good find I had figured one day they would go to the new system and leave 460.xxx for good.

Guys,

Here's some info from the Region 8 coordination council:

• [FONT=&quot]Bergen County has applied for seven 700 MHz frequencies, presumably to eventually migrate the T-Band system to 700.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Newark PD has applied for six of the Essex County 700 MHz allocated frequencies. Unknown if they plan on building out their own system, or if they will do what Union County did by sharing the NJICS core with their own site, or perhaps they might just add those frequencies to the West Orange Simulcast and jump on board like Newark Fire already has.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Hudson County has applied for six 700 MHz frequencies. Unknown what their plans are at this time.[/FONT]
  • And finally, perhaps most interesting and potentially welcome news - Middlesex County has applied to change their current allocation from eight 25 kHz channel blocks to sixteen 12.5 kHz channel blocks.
    [FONT=&quot]They will also orphan (give back) eight of those, leaving them with eight 12.5 kHz frequencies. This of course is significant since OpenSky is 4-slot TDMA that operates on 25 kHz channels, vs. P25 Phase II which is 2-slot TDMA operating on 12.5 kHz channels. This is fairly strong sign that they have probably scrapped the OpenSky system for good...
    [/FONT]

Might Bergen County also be planning to integrate with NJICS in some fashion?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Newark only applied for six? They use nine now I think? Wow I guess the Dectives and maybe the task forces are going to share? I would think they would gave to have one for citywide so all the five districts can hear each other? Good find I had figured one day they would go to the new system and leave 460.xxx for good.

If they trunk it (which being on 700 I would assume), it doesn't really equate to individual channels. Plus if it's phase 2, then those six channels give them 10 talk paths.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'll bet those Newark frequencies get added to the West Orange simulcast. Considering their budget just implemented State monitoring, the money is just not there for their own system.

I was told Bergen is upgrading their existing system to 700...no intention of going on the NJ ICS. Same with Morris County.

Hudson sparks my interest. Bayonne has its own P25 UHF TRS as does Jersey City. I think Union City is still using Smartnet as well. Would be nice to build out that portion of the West Orange Simulcast and expand the coverage area since the ICS has a site over in Jersey City currently. Also would allow for seemless roaming and great interoperability between Essex, Hudson, etc.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
so far, it appears the coverage the NJICS system offers , at least in North Jersey, is very good, and the units seem to be having no trouble communicating, with no interference or break up. And the ability to communicate with all others on the system seems like a no brainer. Why would some counties have "no intention" of joining this system ?

Septa3371CSX1

richee2000;2****58 said:
so far, it appears the coverage the NJICS system offers , at least in North Jersey, is very good, and the units seem to be having no trouble communicating, with no interference or break up. And the ability to communicate with all others on the system seems like a no brainer. Why would some counties have "no intention" of joining this system ?

Various reasons - many of them political. It could also be that these counties (like Bergen) would find it better to go with their own system based on size and population of their coverage area. It also goes into the number of frequencies needed to meet system needs. Counties in South Jersey like Salem, Cumberland and Cape May would be able to meet their needs with the NJICS as their coverage areas include many sparsely populated areas. Bergen County OTOH is densely populated with lots of activity and busy roadways.

Also bear in mind that all current and future 700 systems in New Jersey will have roaming capabilities on the NJICS - so these counties aren't completely dismissing the state system either.

ansky

Septa3371CSX1;2****81 said:
Various reasons - many of them political.

Exactly. Nowhere do they waste taxpayer dollars like we do here in NJ. Why join a perfectly good existing system when we can spend more money to build a brand new system.

magic_lantern

"Why join a perfectly good existing system when we can spend more money to build a brand new system. "

Why build a "system" at all when good old fashioned conventional two way radio is all that's needed especially for public safety. In most cases there is no real need for a "system" . When all the communication grant money finally dry's up I think there will be a lot of upset taxpayers when they see the bill for these super systems that do nothing more than the good old fashioned two way radio sets they abandoned, except of course for that little chirp and bleep when you key the mic.

ansky

"Why join a perfectly good existing system when we can spend more money to build a brand new system. "

Why build a "system" at all when good old fashioned conventional two way radio is all that's needed especially for public safety. In most cases there is no real need for a "system" . When all the communication grant money finally dry's up I think there will be a lot of upset taxpayers when they see the bill for these super systems that do nothing more than the good old fashioned two way radio sets they abandoned, except of course for that little chirp and bleep when you key the mic.

Yup. Just look at Verona. Why does a town of 13,000 people need a trunked radio system? Especially one that can't even cover all areas of town. Similar situation in Montclair. They used taxpayer dollars to switch to a fancy digital trunked system that constantly has problems and has coverage holes within town.

AC2OY

If they trunk it (which being on 700 I would assume), it doesn't really equate to individual channels. Plus if it's phase 2, then those six channels give them 10 talk paths.

Oh wow that's right it will just be more talk groups very sweet! I'm glad I actualky have a scanner that can monitor,actually two life is goid📻

SCPD

QRT
I'll bet those Newark frequencies get added to the West Orange simulcast. Considering their budget just implemented State monitoring, the money is just not there for their own system.

I was told Bergen is upgrading their existing system to 700...no intention of going on the NJ ICS. Same with Morris County.

Hudson sparks my interest. Bayonne has its own P25 UHF TRS as does Jersey City. I think Union City is still using Smartnet as well. Would be nice to build out that portion of the West Orange Simulcast and expand the coverage area since the ICS has a site over in Jersey City currently. Also would allow for seemless roaming and great interoperability between Essex, Hudson, etc.
Where is the site in Jersey City?

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
Bergen ha ha ha

When Bergen had the conventional UHF channels one was set aside for mutual Aid/ 911/ interop, each town and other agencies were given FREE base units (72 issued) and at least one mobile and several recieve only units
out of the 72 agencies, 3 use it; Most PD chief's had the mobile in his car and when he was out of town on vacation or i the office at meeting etc the radio never got used many turned it off
When the TRS went up (behind Schedule) 10 interop TG's were for the local towns and TG's were made avaiable for dispatch, FREE for use by the towns; only 4 towns are using the TRS and the rest wont even add JUST the interops; they want thier own channel; tsome even complaint and had or ordered that the County Police not even monitor them! and wanted the County to removed the channels from the cars,

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
i cant believe how screwed up NJ is...authorities in these little towns are SO afraid of giving up their POWER.... here in somerset county...the countywide police plan was shot down by towns afraid of giving up home rule. I see how other places in the country have such efficient centers handling their communications .. Dade County , Palm beach county and broward county florida come to mind... so many areas of the country where county-wide communications systems are handled by true professionals ...just listen to the professional manner in the way they are dispatched... with the latest and best equipment and radio systems

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
forgive me if this is a dumb question but what is all the hype why does NJ want to switch to 700 MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.