Pro-652 or Uniden BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

npier83

Like the title say the Radio Shack PRO-652 or the Uniden BCD536HP? I currently have the PRO-652 which seems to work fine to me except one time I was scanning and it was trying to pick up on an encrypted channel and it was all garbled and scrambled. Is this normal? I was under the impression either one of these units can pick up on that. I was kind of disappointed since the guy at the Shack told me it listens to everything and that's the one people get, but being new I took his word without doing the research. It was just an impulse purchase.

I was thinking about getting the BCD536HP and returning the PRO-652. On the uniden one would I be able to listen to encrypted channels? It seems like uniden has more features like audio replay, the channels are preloaded, the wifi/ mobile phone app.

OTHER THEN THE audio replay/preloaded channels/and the little odds and ends like zip code scanning, do both of these things do the same things as far as scanning?

I would hate to return the 652 and get the Uniden to find out the radio shack one was actually a better unit.

Thanks for the help

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I was scanning and it was trying to pick up on an encrypted channel and it was all garbled and scrambled. Is this normal? I was under the impression either one of these units can pick up on that. I was kind of disappointed since the guy at the Shack told me it listens to everything and that's the one people get,

There is no scanner on the market that can monitor encrypted communications, nor is it likely that there ever will be. It is against federal law to do so.

It doesn't surprise me at all that a Radio Shack employee would tell you that it would.

N8IAA

Like the title say the Radio Shack PRO-652 or the Uniden BCD536HP? I currently have the PRO-652 which seems to work fine to me except one time I was scanning and it was trying to pick up on an encrypted channel and it was all garbled and scrambled. Is this normal? I was under the impression either one of these units can pick up on that. I was kind of disappointed since the guy at the Shack told me it listens to everything and that's the one people get, but being new I took his word without doing the research. It was just an impulse purchase.

I was thinking about getting the BCD536HP and returning the PRO-652. On the uniden one would I be able to listen to encrypted channels?
As posted, no scanner decodes encrypted TGID's. If you don't need a scanner that does Phase II P-25, the 652 is a good scanner. I presume that you are using a Wildcard Object. When loading the system/systems into your scanner, encrypted TG's will not be loaded.
The new WS-1080 has a feature that will quiet the encrypted TG's. The 396XT/996XT's will also do the same.

It seems like uniden has more features like audio replay, the channels are preloaded, the wifi/ mobile phone app.

OTHER THEN THE audio replay/preloaded channels/and the little odds and ends like zip code scanning, do both of these things do the same things as far as scanning?

I would hate to return the 652 and get the Uniden to find out the radio shack one was actually a better unit.

Thanks for the help

As far as I know, as I type this reply, there is no useable WIFI/mobile phone app yet for the $600 536HP.
I believe the 652 will be a better unit for you.
Larry

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
The garbled signal is normal for encrypted channels, depending on the model. The 197 has a scrambled voice, the PSR800 uses a tone indicator, not sure what the unidens do but I believe they basically ignore the signal. And no, there aren't any scanners that will "de-crypt" them.

I'm not sure what the poster who said those channels "wouldn't be loaded" meant exactly. Is that something new with the 652 model? With the psredit software and the 197 you can "enable auto store" while the scanner is hooked up to your computer, and I thought the uniden stored them when in "ID search" mode. Again, not sure what the poster was saying there.

Not to turn this into a RS bashing but suffice to say I wouldn't listen to anything they tell you. You're better off getting your input/advice right here and then getting your equipment elsewhere if at all possible, unless you know exactly what you need and you can get in and get out without them trying to tell/sell you something else/extra. Again, my experience with my store for 20+ years.

Now back to the scanner... If your 652 is working fine then I wouldn't exchange it for the x36. If you have the money and the means, get an x36 model too. The extra features offered by uniden are not available apparently so don't bother basing your opinion on that. Yes, they have a few more "ease of use" features/options but most of it is unnecessary if you aren't that into it. You say this is all new to you so you might want to take it slow at first and see how you like it and if this first unit is up to snuff for you.

I don't have any of the newest models yet so I'm basing my opinion on the models I'm currently using/familiar with- 197/PSR800/HP1/396xt/996xt. They all do a rather good job once you've gotten used to them and tweaked them a little bit.

I would also ask you if you've read the many threads on the new unidens as well. This will give you a little more insight. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet is there seems to be some issues, other than the wifi/siren app, which I'm not really concerned/interested in anyway.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
I'm not sure what the poster who said those channels "wouldn't be loaded" meant exactly. Is that something new with the 652 model?

It's in reference to when a scanner is downloading information from the database. A few things in the RadioReference Database are marked appropriately as encrypted or not. Almost all software will not, by default, include the encrypted talkgroups in order to avoid monitoring noise.

As for comparison between the Pro-652 and BCD536HP, other than the idea that encryption means that they really do not want you to hear what they are saying (would be counterproductive if a scanner could monitor encryption), they are both generally perform about the same. There are some exceptions of improved design reflected by different generations of technology that may lead the BCD536HP to be better at scanning, but I lack the experience with the unit to say for sure. Since the BCD536HP can monitor P25 Phase II while the Pro-652 is limited to just P25 Phase I, the comparison of features and performance is not really accurate (reflected by the price of either unit).

The Pro-652 is a very capable P25 Phase I scanner that performs really well (and more natural sounding in my opinion) and is generally compared to the Uniden P25 Phase I scanners like the BCD996XT with both features and price point.

The BCD536HP is new in the industry and supports many more bells and whistles. It's primary competitor would likely be the Whistler WS1095 (not yet released) which is pretty likely to have the same features. In fact, Whistler's predecessor (GRE) actually released many of the features you noted first in their portable PSR-800 (similar to the WS1080), and was in the middle of designing their PSR-900 (WS1095) before they shut down. If you are really keen on the bells and whistles on the BCD536HP or really want a Phase II base/mobile unit, then you really only have the choice of the BCD536HP unless you want to wait for a equivalent unit to be released by Whistler.

Last edited:

N8IAA

People, he already owns the Pro-652. He was asking if there was/is a difference between the 652 and the 536 without regard to the SD card, recording, the wifi/siren app vaporware, and the absent analyze feature.
For the $200+ in price and the addition of Phase II, available in the 536, those are the only differences in reference to what he was asking.
Larry

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
LordJ;2****11 said:
Don't leave the 996xt out of your choices.. Still a solid performer, I would choose it over the 536hp.

+2

I sold/traded my BCD436HP, and BCD536HP, and returned to the BCD996XT's. I was getting too confused, transitioning between programming/operating the newer, and older generation. So I standardized on two BCD996XT's, and one BCT15X. Life is good!

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
People, he already owns the Pro-652. He was asking if there was/is a difference between the 652 and the 536 without regard to the SD card, recording, the wifi/siren app vaporware, and the absent analyze feature.
For the $200+ in price and the addition of Phase II, available in the 536, those are the only differences in reference to what he was asking.
Larry

I'm not certain how you came to that conclusion as it was not the only thing he was asking about. Nor does that preclude anyone from making observations to a post or offering advice in response to what is proposed.

Also not sure why you felt it necessary to chime in with that, especially considering you were wrong...

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
That may be true

It's in reference to when a scanner is downloading information from the database. A few things in the RadioReference Database are marked appropriately as encrypted or not. Almost all software will not, by default, include the encrypted talkgroups in order to avoid monitoring noise.

But you're assuming that is what he's referencing...?

N8IAA

I'm not certain how you came to that conclusion as it was not the only thing he was asking about. Nor does that preclude anyone from making observations to a post or offering advice in response to what is proposed.

Also not sure why you felt it necessary to chime in with that, especially considering you were wrong...

He asked if the 536HP would receive encrypted transmissions. No, it won't. Why take back a scanner that will do what he wants and pay more for another that will do the same things.
He wasn't interested in all of the additional features of the 536, but would it be a better scanner than the 652.
Not trying to start a flame war, just giving MY person advice.
I own multiple scanners, Uniden, GRE, and RS. I err on the side of common sense and saving money. Why pay more for something that does the same things?
Larry

N8IAA

But you're assuming that is what he's referencing...?

I don't assume anything.
Read the original post.
I have my PSR-800 and 396XT programmed, via software and menu functions, to follow encrypted TGID's but not to allow the garbled noise to be heard.
Larry

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
He asked if the 536HP would receive encrypted transmissions. No, it won't. Why take back a scanner that will do what he wants and pay more for another that will do the same things.
He wasn't interested in all of the additional features of the 536, but would it be a better scanner than the 652.
Not trying to start a flame war, just giving MY person advice.
I own multiple scanners, Uniden, GRE, and RS. I err on the side of common sense and saving money. Why pay more for something that does the same things?
Larry

I thought that's what we were doing...?

npier83

Everyone thanks for the input, I just seen on the radio shack website the 652 just dropped to $349, I bought it for $399. So I'm going to keep the 652 and get my 50$ rebate back and maybe later on down the road upgrade if need be! Once again thanks for the input!

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
It may cost you more in the end to keep the 652 depending. I was in a similar situation with the GRE PSR-500, which is the hand held equivalent of the 652 and can be found for around $239. But I went with the 536 instead because it supports phase II, has more memory, and will eventually support the wifi/phone app feature. Depending on what other devices you may have such as the iPhone, Android, or even iPad, you will essentially end up with multiple scanners with the 536. I have the RS 106/197, and while they're nice scanners and do a great job, neither support phase II and wifi. So that made the 536 a no brainer. And I'd much rather be able to use my Android phone as a scanner than carrying around another device, or bulky handheld.

Last edited:

stingray327

Don't leave the 996xt out of your choices.. Still a solid performer, I would choose it over the 536hp.

Why would you choose the 996xt over the 536hp? (536 being the flagship of Uniden Scanners)
I will need a base station soon. Between these two radios the 996XT and the 536 which scanner has better reception? How do I know which is the better scanner for me? What are the differences between these two scanners other than the Home Patrol and Zip code feature the 536 has?

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well the 996XT is a way better scanner since all of the hardware is solid and the radio is bullet proof. If you do not need Phase II TDMA then stick with a nice solid 996XT and you can get a great deal on one for cheap. If you buy one of those 536HP turds then you will notice issues with the hardware components on that radio. Most people will agree with me and some will say that I am crazy but I had two of those turds when they first came out and I sold them because I was loosing my mind over them and stayed with a couple of 996XT radio's and a Whistler WS-1065 since I do not need Phase II TDMA

stingray327

Well the 996XT is a way better scanner since all of the hardware is solid and the radio is bullet proof. If you do not need Phase II TDMA then stick with a nice solid 996XT and you can get a great deal on one for cheap. If you buy one of those 536HP turds then you will notice issues with the hardware components on that radio. Most people will agree with me and some will say that I am crazy but I had two of those turds when they first came out and I sold them because I was loosing my mind over them and stayed with a couple of 996XT radio's and a Whistler WS-1065 since I do not need Phase II TDMA

I am not sure if I need Phase II?
Can the same thing be said for the Uniden 436 vs. the Uniden 396 scanner?
I just got a Uniden 436 for one of my cars. I have another car and am thinking should I get the 396 instead of the 536 for that car?
Is it me or does the Uniden 436 seem like it doesn't pick up signals good?
I will run into same problem again because I will also need to get a base station so it may come down to the 996XT and the BCD 536. Which one picks up signals better? I know the BCD 536 is a pre-program scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.