Veteran FDNY Dispatcher George Munch Signs Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycpress

This is the audio from Brooklyn fire radio last night between 18:39 hours and 19:07 hours as George Munch, Dispatcher 102 (and formerly 247), signs off for the last time after 36 years and receives an outpouring of greetings.

Some highlights include messages from other borough's dispatchers, volunteer companies, even Nassau County.

FDNY Dispatcher 102 Signs Off, Oct. 10, 2014. - YouTube

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
That was fun to listen to! Very cool, must have been a very well known fellow. I hope he enjoys his retirement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phillydjdan

Now THAT'S the way to send someone off. All these other cities and counties need to take a few notes...

mule1075

Feed Provider
I meant munchie 25 years ago as a young buff.Perfect gentleman George was a member of the fire patrol before he was a dispatcher.A great send off for a great guy.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

ipfd320

Banned
AS A Matter of Fact if You Listen Carefully Rocky Point Fire Dept in Suffolk County also Got Involved in the Long List of Good By,s to the Master Voice of Bklyn--I Myself was on the Brooklyn Band for the Whole Session--Even After the 7 pm Tone Sign Off Units were Still Pouring in with the Send-Offs & Wouldn,t let Him Leave the Comms

I've heard him many, many times since 1978, and might even have met him once or twice. Talk about just about being brought to tears. Here's a guy whose career obviously made a difference to so many people. Wow!

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
Brooklyn Dispatcher

I've heard him many, many times since 1978, and might even have met him once or twice. Talk about just about being brought to tears. Here's a guy whose career obviously made a difference to so many people. Wow!
i would listen to Brooklyn on the radio at my parents house in Bridgeport ct around the same time.
We had a antenna on the roof. Years ago me and my brother would buff 82s and 31s firehouse on
intervale and 169 about 1969, I was young then.Later in 1977 in got on in the Bridgeport fire dept.
We would listen for george all the time. He knew every street, Stores on the street. Etc.
I meet him years ago. Relocating companies would ask for directions and he would say, See the
store on your right , Take a left then another right. A classic. 902 you brought back memories of
years ago and thankyou . Retired now. But i would still love to hear 247 give out a box.

MrAntiDigital

i would listen to Brooklyn on the radio at my parents house in Bridgeport ct around the same time.
We had a antenna on the roof. Years ago me and my brother would buff 82s and 31s firehouse on
intervale and 169 about 1969, I was young then.Later in 1977 in got on in the Bridgeport fire dept.
We would listen for george all the time. He knew every street, Stores on the street. Etc.
I meet him years ago. Relocating companies would ask for directions and he would say, See the
store on your right , Take a left then another right. A classic. 902 you brought back memories of
years ago and thankyou . Retired now. But i would still love to hear 247 give out a box.

Yes we would Brother. George Munch will go down in the history books as one of the Great Legends within the FDNY Dispatching system. Others like Manhattans Herbie Eysser, Brooklyn's Warren Fuchs, and still one of the Best operating out of the Bronx Communications Office, Bobby the Beefer.

My brother and I would listen to George hour after hour of NON Stop heavy fire activity during the FDNYs so called War Years. Turning on Brooklyn Fire Radio with George at the mike was like turning on a AM/FM radio. With no computer aided dispatch he would be calling companies without missing a beat. He was truly talented and highly skilled in his work.

Even as things started to slow down and computers started to eliminate much radio traffic, the Fourth of July night was always the busiest night of the year. And George was always there on the radio coordinating those very busy Brooklyn Fire Companies.

I met George about three times from the early 1970s. Although he probably doesn't remember me, I certainly remember him. I remember one very busy hot summer night around 1975 or 76 when I stopped by the Brooklyn Communications office to get a quick Buffs Tour. The Supervising Dispatcher told me to hang here for awhile because right now everybody is just too busy with the activity going on. He wasn't kidding. The bells came in one after another from street fire alarm pull boxes, ERS boxes were coming in and the phones just kept ringing as the dispatchers answered "Fire Department, where's your fire" ?

George was at the radio for a period of two hours with no break. Finally, the boss came to me and said, "we're kind of busy tonight, can you try coming back another time". Well, I didn't get a tour, but I sure got a ear and eye full of what was going on. And it would be like that every night. I don't know how they did it.

Well George, you will never be replaced. You are in a Class all by yourself. I sure respect you for what you did. You go to the Top of the List with the Best of them. I have a couple of Audio CDs that I bought years ago because you are on them. I think one is the Blackout '77 and the other a Fourth of July night in Brooklyn.

George, I want the World to know just what you did. Best wishes on a very well deserved retirement.

Willy D - Retired Norwich, Ct F.D.
George D - Retired Bridgeport, Ct F.D.

Mule1075, I'm listening to the Youtube link and I've got the visual of the Brooklyn CO in my mind as I'm listening!

I was an Explorer around 1980. They loaded the truck up with us guys and took a ride up to the Brooklyn CO. Although I've been in my home town's radio room in NJ, that was my first look at what I was listening to in FDNY, and it was WILD!

Fast forward some 25 years or so. I got to visit with my wife (a fire dispatcher from somewhere else out west) thanks to a friend to whom I'm very grateful but will remain unnamed. It was exactly what I remembered from years ago! One thing to note - there was extra stuff in there, except the desks were never moved. Instead, there were new holes drilled in the desk where wires and cables for the new stuff was snaked through. All the cables looked like trees growing around something stationary! Then it hit me - Brooklyn was always working! It was so busy that they couldn't stop to move something! Well, I was in awe once again.

That's the visual I have in my mind right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.