New Whistler WS1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed6698

I just got my WS1080 yesterday and ran the updates, already really liking this scanner a lot. I was a little concerned about not having much of a keypad, already past that and really like it not having one. This thing picks up stuff great, sounds good through speaker or ear buds, can even pick up Hammond/East Chicago without going upstairs, like with the PSR500. I have several antennas, mostly use the RS 800mhz and the Diamond RH77CA. Digital and conventional both sound good. Tried the location way of programming, but I find it better making my own scan lists with what I want, just going to keep playing with the programming some more. So far I am very satisfied with the WS1080, plus now I am ready for when the county makes it conversion to the 700mhz P25 Phase 2 system in a couple months if everything is on schedule with that.

SCPD

QRT

The 1080 is a good scanner but it doesnt do such a hot job on the NJPSIC 700mhz system in my neighborhood,,the 436HP works better for me.Still like the scanner for airband and individual channel recording.Finally got my 1080 updated.

Last edited:

Ed6698

Update on how the WS 1080 is going, so far everything is going good. I have it set up to use 2 ways for now, I have a setup that I made that uses frequencies that are the most active locally like during the weekend. Then I have setup where I use the location based programming that includes a wider range of area that I use during the week. Really like that this scanner just works, there is really no tweaking of settings that I need to do to make it work better, other then adding the lcd display when active, some led alerts and adjusting delay settings. I like that this scanner uses 4aa batteries so I can use my normal cycle for swapping batteries. Been mainly been using the RS 800mhz antenna with good results. The recording part is nice also, can record what channel I want recorded. So far I am very happy with this WS 1080, considering also I got it for only $395 with a gift card.

Ed6698

Small update with antenna usage and the WS 1080, I have been using the Diamond RH77CA, RS 800Mhz and recently the stock one that comes with it. What really surprises me is how well this radio does with the stock antenna, never even tried using it at first until 3 days ago. It performs good as a overall antenna, then just using the other specific antennas, going to keep using it for a couple more days,may just use it always. The WS 1080 is my everyday radio now, I still use my PSR 500 and Pro 95 when things get busy. So glad that I waited for WS 1080 to come out, this radio just works.

Ed6698

Another update of the WS 1080. I went to Evansville this weekend and used the scanner on a EDACS system and everything was good with that. Worked good on the SAFE-T system, also was good on the conventional stuff. This radio so far is working great, just waiting for the real test in the near future when the county I live in switches to the 700mhz P25 Phase 2 system. This is the real reason why I bought this radio, hopefully it works just as good with this system.

Ed6698

Another update with this scanner, I am having no issues with the radio itself, however I happened to look at the back of my radio and the serial number is now gone. Sent a email to Whistler about this with a picture included. I know that number was there when I registered the radio on their website. I now wish I would have taken a picture of the serial number when I first opened the box. I will wait and see what they say. Is anyone else seeing this issue? I do not use the belt clip very often and that may have contributed to the number coming off. Never had this issue with any scanner before.

Attachments

• Serial number.JPG
    Serial number.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 4,149

Ed6698

I have two WS 1080s and the serial number has come off of both of them,

Well I let Whistler know about it, maybe they will do something to correct this issue, the serial number is needed if the radio ever needs repair. Will post what they say when I get a reply from them.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Mine is exactly like that. I even took a picture like that to send to Whistler if needed. I haven't contacted them yet. I can only imagine they would issue a new number for such a case. I put an account on their web site a few weeks back and now I look and the Website is totally NEW and changed. My account password doesn't work for some reason. I'll worry about all this next week and call them then

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I liked how the GRE put the serial number on the outside of the box (whistler just seems to put the date code).

I looked at the serial number and thought it looked a lil flimsy/easy to rub off (like a marker)
maybe they can stamp it better for future units

good info thanks

stingray327

Another update with this scanner, I am having no issues with the radio itself, however I happened to look at the back of my radio and the serial number is now gone. Sent a email to Whistler about this with a picture included. I know that number was there when I registered the radio on their website. I now wish I would have taken a picture of the serial number when I first opened the box. I will wait and see what they say. Is anyone else seeing this issue? I do not use the belt clip very often and that may have contributed to the number coming off. Never had this issue with any scanner before.

I notice the Whistler is made in Phillipines. The Uniden is made in Vietnam.

W6KRU

The serial # still looks fine on the back of my 1080. Their new web site works on Chrome and they were overdue for that but my login no longer works.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Earlier today, I happened to notice my serial number rubbed off too.

stingray327

Small update with antenna usage and the WS 1080, I have been using the Diamond RH77CA, RS 800Mhz and recently the stock one that comes with it. What really surprises me is how well this radio does with the stock antenna, never even tried using it at first until 3 days ago. It performs good as a overall antenna, then just using the other specific antennas, going to keep using it for a couple more days,may just use it always. The WS 1080 is my everyday radio now, I still use my PSR 500 and Pro 95 when things get busy. So glad that I waited for WS 1080 to come out, this radio just works.
Thanks for all the updates on this new Whistler WS1080.
How long has the Whister WS1080 been out? When released for sale?
What made you get this radio over the Uniden 436 scanner?

Ed6698

Thanks for all the updates on this new Whistler WS1080.
How long has the Whister WS1080 been out? When released for sale?
What made you get this radio over the Uniden 436 scanner?

WS1080 has been out for a month or so, don't know release date. I considered the 436 a few times, but could never do it, had it in the shopping cart at 3 different times. I did not like all the stuff I was reading about it, did not like the display, and only using 3 batteries turned me off to it. With getting the WS1080 I can keep all my batteries in sets of 4 in the rotation cycle I use with my rechargeables. Using 3 batteries would have screwed my rotation cycle up. If the 436 used 4 batteries I may have bought one.

stingray327

WS1080 has been out for a month or so, don't know release date. I considered the 436 a few times, but could never do it, had it in the shopping cart at 3 different times. I did not like all the stuff I was reading about it, did not like the display, and only using 3 batteries turned me off to it. With getting the WS1080 I can keep all my batteries in sets of 4 in the rotation cycle I use with my rechargeables. Using 3 batteries would have screwed my rotation cycle up. If the 436 used 4 batteries I may have bought one.

You could always use Alklines in either scanner and those will last longer than rechargeables.

Ed6698

Alkaline batteries would be the last thing I would use, unless in a emergency. I would be burning through them as much as my radios are used.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
@Stingray327 – There IS a switch in the WS1080 battery compartment you switch up to use Alkaline Batteries, down for rechargeable's. Rechargeable's are the best way to go. I've found Rechargeables with over 2300 mHa ratings are far better than Alkaline. What made me buy it? The old GRE PSR 800 videos on Youtube. I liked the voice decoding better than the Uniden. Having 4 batteries instead of the 3 on Uniden AND the WS1080 has very easy MicroSD card access compared to the Uniden hand-held. I saw Youtube videos of people lamenting the MicroSD card holder on Uniden and the card corruption problems. That was enough for me. The display is also more what I'm used to instead of the needless 3 levels of Uniden's big screen. Having very few buttons on the front panel face is a plus I'm finding out too. I don't miss all those numbers at all getting in the way as an up/down/left/right setting can do all even in the dark. It's a great Scanner, well all of them are the GRE PSR800, WS1080 and soon the Radio Shack version RS-Pro668.

stingray327

@Stingray327 – There IS a switch in the WS1080 battery compartment you switch up to use Alkaline Batteries, down for rechargeable's. Rechargeable's are the best way to go. I've found Rechargeables with over 2300 mHa ratings are far better than Alkaline. What made me buy it? The old GRE PSR 800 videos on Youtube. I liked the voice decoding better than the Uniden. Having 4 batteries instead of the 3 on Uniden AND the WS1080 has very easy MicroSD card access compared to the Uniden hand-held. I saw Youtube videos of people lamenting the MicroSD card holder on Uniden and the card corruption problems. That was enough for me. The display is also more what I'm used to instead of the needless 3 levels of Uniden's big screen. Having very few buttons on the front panel face is a plus I'm finding out too. I don't miss all those numbers at all getting in the way as an up/down/left/right setting can do all even in the dark. It's a great Scanner, well all of them are the GRE PSR800, WS1080 and soon the Radio Shack version RS-Pro668.

I don't have a WS1080 but have a 436 in the car and its difficult to use it in the dark because the on button is in the keypad. You can easily by accident hit the wrong key. When you plug in DC cigarette adapter then it asks you yes or no to scan and in the dark this can be a hassle. Plus screen isn't that great to see colorwise and difficult with all of those letters and numbers especially the small readouts.
As far as batteries go I have been using those AA Costco sells for 12.00 for 48 batteries. Then at least I have less wires to deal with the cigarette lighter plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.