Matt9638

Premium Subscriber
I have a bcd436hp. I want to use a better antenna in the car. Choices
b23c041acceddb0e83d33987f0c478b3.jpg

Or

3bdd37608d2ca1e8d4a18b13f3190187.jpg

Matt9638

Premium Subscriber
A little bit of low band VHF and UHF. I was Also considering a window mount antenna. Want to keep low profile.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Antenna Choices

The best choice is one that is outside the car with the same polarity at the transmitting antenna.

DickH

A little bit of low band VHF and UHF. I was Also considering a window mount antenna. Want to keep low profile.

If you mean a thru-the-glass antenna, they aren't very good.
Since glass does not impede radio waves, putting it on the roof only gives you more height and, of course, a good ground plane. Inside the car will work fairly well.

KSDeputy

I used a VHF stick on window antenna with my last Uniden portable, a 250D, and it picked up everything well, even 800 mhz trunking systems. I am curious if it would work on the new digital P 25 systems?

Matt9638

Premium Subscriber
Anyone be able to rec a good window antenna that is not 29inches long.

I used a VHF stick on window antenna with my last Uniden portable, a 250D, and it picked up everything well, even 800 mhz trunking systems. I am curious if it would work on the new digital P 25 systems?

That it's P25 doesn't mean anything. P25 is mearly the format of the signal. Same with DSTAR, NXDN, DMR etc. It's still just a radio signal, so if you have an antenna that's been working for you on a given band, go with it.

SCPD

QRT
low profile

you really don't need to be low profile to be low profile.
Take a look at some of the am/fm and satellite antennas on cars today.
Any smaller black antenna on the outside of the car, even mounted on the roof, isn't really going to look out of place. You can get shorty rubberized dual band antennas that look no different from many am/fm antennas that you see on cars today.
And being outside the car, and vertical, is going to give you much better gain than the two antennas you pictured,.

Status
Not open for further replies.