Please sign the petition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Google translation:

We have news of the imminent demise of the transmissions of Radio Exterior of Spain (REE) by shortwave radio. According to the statements of senior officials of the corporation Spanish Radio Television (RTVE) emissions are expensive and obsolete, proposing its total replacement by the transmission of content via online.

Why we oppose this decision? The reasons are many and powerful:

REE is the highest-rated radio station conglomerate that compose Spain National Radio (RNE) to broadcast in five languages ​​(English, French, Portuguese, Arabic and Russian) without their broadcasts in Spanish and Sephardic. His international audience covers five continents and broadcast only in Latin America has millions of daily listeners.

The maintenance cost is negligible compared to any of the radio stations of the public body. The Government plans to close and dismantle the transmitting plant Noblejas (Toledo) as soon as possible, and in all probability thereby dismissing the entire workforce.

The blackout of radio broadcasts on shortwave have as immediate effects the disappearance of 95% of the audience of REE, as in large parts of the American continent who speaks, thinks and feels in Spanish, can not access their programs by little or difficult access to existing internet in these regions.

Sign our petition and ask the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Culture of Spain, which did not cease radio broadcasts Shortwave Radio Exterior of Spain (REE), our public broadcaster.

k9rzz

I don't recall any petitions for Radio Canada International, Radio Sweden, Radio Nederland, etc. Will it really help?

Boombox

For what it's worth, I went ahead and signed it. They say that there are a few millions of listeners, I think their Spanish programming is very good. I don't understand Spanish all that well, but the music, the sporting events, other things that are more understandable -- they are all very well presented, and entertaining to listen to.

Hopefully the petition may help. I think someone said somewhere that the unions over in Spain aren't thrilled about the portent of REE being taken off the air -- or brought back on the air, whatever the case may be (I read that the broadcasts have already stopped -- haven't tuned my shortwave the past few days, so I'm not sure if they're on or off the air).

majoco

Stirrer
I think REE may have already been closed down - my usual 'flamethrower' on 9535kHz in the evening here, say 0700z, has disappeared.

JonN

REE has indeed closed down. The final day was October 15. But you can still listen to them online on their website if you want.

majoco

Stirrer
Pretty rough translation by Google but the gist is there...

The conselleira do Mar, Rosa Quintana, called yesterday told the press, "rethink" the cessation of emission Shortwave Radio Exterior de Spain, since for many Spaniards, particularly fishermen, is the only "communication "with the country.

(...)

"Since the first report [of Spanish Broadcasting] that is going to stop broadcasting on shortwave the Ministry of Media and Galician Xunta President interceded to rethink the measure," said conselleira do Mar.

The Regional Minister decided that continue that coverage can continue listening to the Spaniards who are in the world. "We are concerned about the fishing industry, for shortwave is the only communication on how are their community and their country," said Quintana.

More....

www.change.org/p/a-los-ministros-de...dium=email&utm_campaign=petition_update_email

BaofengScanner

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I don't recall any petitions for Radio Canada International, Radio Sweden, Radio Nederland, etc. Will it really help?

No petetions specially online ones never tend to all that much specially since most sites make it easy for automated bots to fill.

majoco

Stirrer
More news...

The president of the Congress of Deputies forwarded to other institutions and groups proposed the Platform in Defence of the Short Wave REE

November 20, 2014 - President of RTVE give explanations on the 25th before the Parliamentary Control Commission. http://aer.org.es/archivos/1911 President of the Congress of Deputies, ... Read more

Long article at that web page

http://aer.org.es/archivos/1911

majoco

Stirrer
There may be a change of heart.....

Blog of the AER take the following press release RTVE on RTVE board meeting today (December 4, 2014), which reproduce the part that interests us:

RTVE reissued on shortwave to meet the demands of fisheries in international waters did not have an alternative to receiving the signal of Radio Exterior of Spain. The broadcast will reach all the fisheries of the Spanish fishing fleet and 1,258 fishing vessels operating in international waters. Shortwave signal will resume as soon as possible and ensure the technical conditions issue with all guarantees.

The broadcast will take place from Monday to Friday between 20 and 24 hours, Spanish peninsular hour, and between 16 and 24, on weekends. Thus the daily spoken '24 Hours will be offered 'space' Radiogaceta sports', the flagship program of REE for the maritime and fisheries sector 'Spaniards in the Sea' and international information 'Five Continents'. Weekends 'Board Deportivo', is issued for informational continuously for 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday. These contents are the most demanded by our sailors, missionaries and aid workers.

This offer of coverage and programming ensures the reception of Radio Exterior of Spain throughout Africa and Latin America, Central America and parts of North America.

Areas such as the coast of Chile in the Pacific, where two vessels fish swordfish will be covered; also can tune 5 cephalopod fishing in the Falkland Islands in the American South Atlantic; 58 to catch tuna and hake in Ethiopia, Madagascar and the Comoros and Seychelles; or the Gran Sol and the North Atlantic, which for two years did not receive shortwave signal, and wherein 112 fishing vessels engaged in fishing for anchovy and cod.

Read more in Spanish....

http://www.change.org/p/a-los-minis...dium=email&utm_campaign=petition_update_email

Boombox

That's good news. Looks like there will be a lot of sports, and 4 hours of programming during the weekdays between 8 pm - 12 midnight Spanish time, which I think it one hour ahead of GMT.

All for about 125 Spanish fishing boats, with 1125 sailors! And others who tune in. I'm sure there had to have been some folks in Latin America who tuned into REE's Spanish broadcasts.

Last edited:

Boombox

I think they went back on the air.

I haven't tuned the shortwaves in a week or two. Last time I did there were 5-7 stations on the 49 meter band and zero on the 31 meter band....

So maybe if someone else has heard them they can let us know.

majoco

Stirrer
The NASWA spreadsheet says the REE is on 12075, 12080, 12085 and 12095kHz every day from 1500z to 2400z - early morning to midday for me so propagation not too good unless I get up real early! Probably more suitable for their fishing boats in the South Atlantic!

BaofengScanner

Banned
The NASWA spreadsheet says the REE is on 12075, 12080, 12085 and 12095kHz every day from 1500z to 2400z - early morning to midday for me so propagation not too good unless I get up real early! Probably more suitable for their fishing boats in the South Atlantic!
Awesome. Shortwave helps keep you sane on those long voyages.

kc2kth

Bands have been quiet lately, and while there are certainly less stations than there were to listen to due to budget cuts by various governments, really our present position in the sunspot cycle (this is 24 I believe) have a LOT to do with why it's so quiet. I think the folks with Welbrooks and Beveridges are probably doing well but us casual listeners have to do a lot more dial spinning.

BaofengScanner

Banned
Bands have been quiet lately, and while there are certainly less stations than there were to listen to due to budget cuts by various governments, really our present position in the sunspot cycle (this is 24 I believe) have a LOT to do with why it's so quiet. I think the folks with Welbrooks and Beveridges are probably doing well but us casual listeners have to do a lot more dial spinning.
Yeah I find myself on the upper hf frequencies more often.

Boombox

I've been concentrating on AM band (MW) DXing, but the conditions have been just fair for the most part.

majoco

Stirrer
REE is romping in this morning 2000z/0900local on 9620kHz, 11685kHz, 11940kHz - all s9+10dB and 12030kHz S9+30dB! Right on the gray line. Sounds like a chat show with snippets of music.

Status
Not open for further replies.