Cable through roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FORD77

Installing my antenna this weekend and wanted to know if any of you have photos on how you routed the LMR-400 through your roof. I was think going into the roof vent however open to any other ideas. Thanks

joeuser

The Wretched
Installing my antenna this weekend and wanted to know if any of you have photos on how you routed the LMR-400 through your roof. I was think going into the roof vent however open to any other ideas. Thanks

I've seen that done. I need to see the roof and surrounding area...

prcguy

If penetrating the roof is the only answer then use an electrical service weatherhead, the same type used for AC power entry. You can get them at any Home Depot or Lowes and they have sizes that will easily handle several runs of LMR400. You would also need a short length of metallic conduit, some brackets to secure it to a rafter or joist and weatherhead flashing for the roof and maybe a few replacement roof tiles, etc.
prcguy

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't go through the roof unless it was your very last option. If that is your only option than follow prcguys advice. You can also use pvc pipe with 2 90's on the roof end. Pretty much just like your sewer pipe vent, but with 180 degree bend on the top. Just make sure you have the proper boot and everything is sealed up nice and tight.

jackj

prcguy's suggestion of using an electrical weather head is good. Although LMR-400 isn't hardline, it does have a limit for the minimum bending radius. The spec sheet will list it.

mainetrunk

Personally, my LMR 400 goes thru the top of my window frame. I cut out an extra wide notch for my 2 LMR 400 cables goes thru, angled up 2 feet, 90 degree turn onto the roof, across to 2 sepparate chimney mounts. 1 hangs openly,1 goes into bottom of R-S pole up to a FERRET antenna... VERY soon to add another for HF. ( balun )............ LMR 400 rulez

prcguy

I find it best to run the coax from the radio through the weather head and to the antennas (or vice versa) without the grommet, then punch out appropriate holes in the grommet and slide it on from the antenna side, then install the grommet and dress the cables as they head out of the weather head. Its much easier than trying to pull the coax through the assembled weatherhead with grommet installed.
prcguy

prcguy's suggestion of using an electrical weather head is good. Although LMR-400 isn't hardline, it does have a limit for the minimum bending radius. The spec sheet will list it.

Status
Not open for further replies.