• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

E.C.I Port-A_Pak Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedog359

Hello all, I normally collect vintage public safety radios and dispatch consoles but I ran across something interesting on shopgoodwill.com and bought it.From the photos,it looks like some type of portable CB but I'm not sure.It's in a case that covers the radio but has "Port-A-Pak by E.C.I" embossed on the case and "E.C.I." on the mic. I am going to try to attach the photos so I hope it works.Any help in iding this unit will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 54800045114012cC.JPG
    54800045114012cC.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 437
  • 95087165114013cC.JPG
    95087165114013cC.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 417

Dawn

Several manufacturers made something similar. We sold a unit when I worked at Radio Shack around '72 or thereabouts for the mini 23 or TRC-24x series, not sure which one it was. The REACT guys used them at their events. Similar products were sold to amateurs for their 2M rigs around the same time. I remember seeing one offered for the Genave GTX-10 I had. They were also sold as options for some marine and commercial rigs instead of walkie talkies or dedicated portapacks. One of the local police departments used Comco (local repco rebrand) as jerk and run units as they were called that later were replaced with handheld convertacoms. Hallicrafters also made a commercial unit like that.

firedog359

I finally have the unit in hand.Whoever had this took good care of it.It looks almost like new.The radio itself is basiclly a modified mobile.The mic connector is on the back and the cord runs out the side of the case.It has a 10 cell Ni-Cad pack that,after a little direct charging from a 9v wall wart to bring the voltage up,actually took a charge from my smart charger.Now how long it will hold that charge, I don't know. I have looked into having the pack rebuilt but that's around $50 and I'm sure that's more than this rigs worth even with a rebuilt pack. The radio does still work, I talked to a few truckers on the interstate about 2 miles away. Thanks for all of the comments.

firedog359

Just a follow up,after spending several hours surfing the net,I have finally figured out what I have.the radio is a Courier TR23s. the s indicates that it is a solid state radio.It was manufactured from 1966-1968 and retailed for $170.00. That equals almost $1300 today.

Dawn

I've always wondered about the branding. ECI was the parent of two brands I know of both Fanon and Courier. They were kept as distinct lines, but sometimes merged the two as Fanon/Courier. At some point ECI became Resdel. I know nothing about the company besides always liking their clean and conservative looking designs in their bases. They seem to buck the trend in conspiciousness of the times. Anyone here can give a bio on the company through the years?

prcguy

I don't have a company bio but one of my good friends Larry Hirsch (now dead) was the lead engineer on one of the more popular Courier base stations and also the tube type mobile amplifier that had a single switch and red light on the front. He later worked for Pace Communications.
prcguy

I've always wondered about the branding. ECI was the parent of two brands I know of both Fanon and Courier. They were kept as distinct lines, but sometimes merged the two as Fanon/Courier. At some point ECI became Resdel. I know nothing about the company besides always liking their clean and conservative looking designs in their bases. They seem to buck the trend in conspiciousness of the times. Anyone here can give a bio on the company through the years?

wa2sqq

I had one of these. I believe it was the ECI Courier TR22, a mobile radio that had a battery pack it fit into. This goes back to ~1967 vintage. ECI Courier was in Newark, NJ on Frelinhysing Ave, not far from Newark Airport. The radio sold for $149. Purchased mine from "The Camera House" in Lyndhurst, NJ. Back in those days I was KOD-7703

Status
Not open for further replies.