BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Just bought a 436HP today and have a few ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I just bought a 436HP today and am excited to get it. My last scanner was a PSR500 so it has been a while.

But .. just wondering, I understand I can AlphaTag my radio id's with this unit. Is there a limit on how many radios I can do ? I heard 500 or something .. then I thought that is kinda bad as well the system I want to monitor has 6500 users. I would like to tag them all if I can. I would love any tips on that part of the unit.

And can I import that data from like Excel, Comma delimited file etc ?

I really don't want to have to type them all in. I imagine Uniden would not force me to do that.

So .. is there a limit or is it limited by the size of your SD card etc ?

Those are my main issues .. as I have a couple of friends that have this radio and can get a file from them if need be to get me up and running.

But mostly I bought this radio for the recording feature. That is totally new to me and I see great potential there.

joeuser

The Wretched
I just bought a 436HP today and am excited to get it. My last scanner was a PSR500 so it has been a while.

But .. just wondering, I understand I can AlphaTag my radio id's with this unit. Is there a limit on how many radios I can do ? I heard 500 or something .. then I thought that is kinda bad as well the system I want to monitor has 6500 users. I would like to tag them all if I can. I would love any tips on that part of the unit.

I really don't want to have to type them all in. I imagine Uniden would not force me to do that.

So .. is there a limit or is it limited by the size of your SD card etc ?

Those are my main issues .. as I have a couple of friends that have this radio and can get a file from them if need be to get me up and running.

But mostly I bought this radio for the recording feature. That is totally new to me and I see great potential there.
Do yourself a favor, bookmark this:

http://marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

I have about 3500 IDs programmed in for Calgary's system. You're generally limited only in that the favorite list may be no larger than 1MB (1024 KB) in size.

My FL that includes that Calgary system, along with a ton of other stuff, is only 194 KB.

It is possible to paste from Excel into the favorites list editor. It's not one hundred percent intuitive, but it works. The best way to do it is to make a "dummy" FL with a few entries, then copy those dummy lines into Excel. You'll then have a "sample" for how your data needs to look. Set up your data to mimic the dummy data, then highlight it and do Ctrl+C. Then, go back into Sentinel, make sure there is at least one blank line to paste into (even if you have 6500 lines to paste, you only need one blank one), put the cursor on the line you want to start pasting into, and Ctrl+V.

You don't even need to wait until you get the radio. Download the Sentinel software now from this page, and you can begin building your favorites list(s) while you wait.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Jay ... and first of all, I have no idea why I didn't buy one of these things before today. I so love all the features. The record / recall feature will get a workout and is one of the main reasons for my purchase.

I am a current PSR500 user so the Uniden thing may be a bit of a learning curve for me. (my last Uniden was a 246T/780XLT. It has been a while) But I have had much worse things to conquer.

I have an Access database with my local Edacs system data .. and csv files from Etrunker (yes I still run it 24/7) that I import in there. I am sure that I will be just fine with that part of it.

Thanks for your help .. I have 6513 radios but I will purge a few before doing my scanner.

I feel like a kid in the candy shop .. fortunately 2 of my friend have these already so I know where to get a tutorial should I need it.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
edmscan
If you read much of the RRDB, you will know that I have been one of the people waiting for some updates and features for the new Unidens to be available. That said, and you can look at my scanner list below in my signature, the 436HP and 536HP are indeed (IMHO) a big leap forward from any scanners we have seen in the past, and the potential is great.
I have not tried CSV files with Sentinel, but I would highly recommend Butel ARC536, if you are going to do a lot of your own custom lists. I use that with CSV files quite often. If you get ARC536PRO, you not only have a very powerful tool in terms of customization, you also have the virtual control. Just plug the USB cable into your computer, and you will be able to both power your 436HP and do virtual control/logging in serial mode with the one cable. Sentinel and ARC536 each have their advantages, and of course, you need Sentinel for updates.
The record features, flexibility of the system/site set ups, and the large display are fantastic. Of all the scanners I own, if I could only have two, it would be the 436HP and 536HP, as they are the best for most of the scanning I do. I am busy with many things, so my scanning activities include a lot of recording and logging. I just can't sit and listen to scanners all day long. In this regards, the new Unidens are hard to beat.
Steve AA6IO

SCPD

QRT
Thanks .. so far from what I see it will be a great addition.

I am a computer guy / database guy so I am sure that I will have no issues. If I get bored I might write my own software. Maybe.

So .. it will be a while before I get the scanner, so it will give me time to get my file all ready with systems / radio id's etc.

The only system I really care about .. is an Edacs system so I think I will be good to go. I don't expect any of the problems that others have faced. I have a couple of friends that have them .. and neither of them have said they have issues.

joeuser

The Wretched
Thanks .. so far from what I see it will be a great addition.

I am a computer guy / database guy so I am sure that I will have no issues. If I get bored I might write my own software. Maybe.

So .. it will be a while before I get the scanner, so it will give me time to get my file all ready with systems / radio id's etc.

The only system I really care about .. is an Edacs system so I think I will be good to go. I don't expect any of the problems that others have faced. I have a couple of friends that have them .. and neither of them have said they have issues.
Unless you coded the program or used similar, its something that must be learned. Took me about 30 minutes. It has its limitations but it gets the job done.

SCPD

QRT
You don't even need to wait until you get the radio. Download the Sentinel software now from this page, and you can begin building your favorites list(s) while you wait.

I am actually borrowing a friends 436HP today so it should be fun and my main task will be to get a working file for my scanner when it arrives.

Thanks for the tips as what I have seen so far of the Uniden software, those programmers need to find another line of work. Being a programmer myself .. that software is terrible for the most part .. and why I often make my own.

W6KRU

I am actually borrowing a friends 436HP today so it should be fun and my main task will be to get a working file for my scanner when it arrives.

Thanks for the tips as what I have seen so far of the Uniden software, those programmers need to find another line of work. Being a programmer myself .. that software is terrible for the most part .. and why I often make my own.

I agree. I used to work in IT and one of my tasks was software evaluation. Sentinel is poor programming.

SCPD

QRT
Actually got an opportunity to use it today ... and it is actually better than my first impression.

And yes .. free is good. It does all that I need it to do .. program my radio, so as a result it will do. I have spent lots on this thing today from microSD cards to batteries .. this scanner is going to bankrupt me. But .. oh so fun. :p

Analogrules

How does the zip code feature work on that scanner? For example, how many miles radius from my zip code should I enter to make sure it imports the State Police and County PD frequency sites?

Analogrules

Sorry, but I'm still a little confused. I looked at the link and I am assuming that when the radio arrives, it is already set for 10 mile radius as a default?

Therefore, if I set it for let's say 5 mile radius from my zip code (Roselle Park, NJ), will the STATE PD system be uploaded also, OR does it depend on whether one of the actual transmitter locations for the state's system is within 5 miles radius of my zip code?

W6KRU

Sorry, but I'm still a little confused. I looked at the link and I am assuming that when the radio arrives, it is already set for 10 mile radius as a default?

Therefore, if I set it for let's say 5 mile radius from my zip code (Roselle Park, NJ), will the STATE PD system be uploaded also, OR does it depend on whether one of the actual transmitter locations for the state's system is within 5 miles radius of my zip code?

The transmitter has a range in the database. If the range of the transmitter and the range of your scanner overlap, you will scan it. Clear as mud? It would be easier with a whiteboard. I think there was a graphic in the link Upman provided that showed the overlapping circles.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
From the factory, there is no useful location/range (since we don't know where it will be used when we build it :) ). When you enter your zip code, it will also default to a 10-mile range. If you use some other method, the defaults are different (as outlined in that article). Or, you can override the defaults.

As described and pictured in the article, if your set location/range overlaps a location-controlled element's location/range (those would be sites and departments), then the element will be scanned (given that the relevant service types are enabled, favorites lists downloaded and set to be monitored, Quick Keys are enabled, if using Favorites Lists, etc).

When you enter a zip code, it uses the center point of that zip code as your location. If you know more specifically your location, you can enter the lat/lon and set the range so that it overlaps out as far as you want.

Analogrules

Ok. After reading info from the provided links as well as various you tube videos, it seems that as long as a system's coverage range (as maps shown in the rr db) includes my general location, I could technically change the default to 0.0 miles from my zip and those systems will be uploaded to the scanner even if the system's location is further away.

Status
Not open for further replies.