Sentinel for BCD436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasMale

Premium Subscriber
My 436 will not connect to Sentinal software on my desktop running Windows 8.1,,,but it WILL CONNECT to my laptop running Windows 7

What is the difference and what do I need to do to make it work with Windows 8.1??

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've not had any issues running Sentinel and connecting to the scanner using either operating system. You'd need to provide more information about the nature of the error(s) you are receiving on the 8.1 system for anyone to be able to take a stab at fixing the PC issue you are having.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you attempted the following with the 8.1 machine:

1. Turn Sentinel Off
2. Connect the scanner to the computer with the USB cable and choose Mass Storage
3. Using your Windows File Explorer, looking at Devices and Drives, see if there is a Removable Disk with a capacity similar to the capacity of the scanner's SD card. Right mouse click on that and choose Open. Hopefully you will see a couple of folders, one of which is BCDx36HP.

The above will confirm that your scanner and computer are talking to each other. If you do not see that Removable Drive, then there might be a cable/connector issue with the 8.1 machine.

If the above is successful, then the issue is most likely with Sentinel on the 8.1 machine. Not casting aspersions, but stuff happens from time to time. It's possible that the Home Patrol Sentinel could inadvertently be on the 8.1 machine.

You could also try, if you have a slot on the 8.1 machine for SD cards and the correct adapter card, inserting the SD card directly into the machine and see if that helps.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You could also try, if you have a slot on the 8.1 machine for SD cards and the correct adapter card, inserting the SD card directly into the machine and see if that helps.

+1
You'll also find that using a card reader is much faster for transferring data than connecting to the card through the scanner. I did a batch copy of some recorded audio files. Copying through the scanner would have taken over 2 hours, but copying through the card reader only took about 8 minutes. The only drawback is dealing with the somewhat delicate card reader in the 436.

TexasMale

Premium Subscriber
Windows 8.1 does not see the scanner. Same scanner same cord on my laptop running windows 7 and everything is fine. Its got to be a windows 8.1 problem

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm running Sentinel on a Windows 8.1 desktop with no issues.

Just running through possibilities: Are you able to use a thumb drive on the same port of the 8.1 machine to which you connected the scanner USB cable? That would confirm proper operation of the port.

Also you may try uninstalling and re-installing Sentinel on the 8.1 machine. Might be worth a shot.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Its got to be a windows 8.1 problem

Actually, it's got to be a problem with your computer. I also have a Windows 8.1 laptop, and seeing the SD card on the scanner has always been plug-and-play for me.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Hello all,

Well, I am now experiencing a problem with Windows 8.1 and Sentinel. It used to run. Now, it simply won't load.

Not sure what happened here. Haven't loaded anything new on the computer, other than the normal windows updates.

I completed uninstalled Sentinel and reinstalled it. No Joy.

I downloaded the same version of Sentinel from the Uniden site and reinstalled. No joy.

So, I tried the compatibility thing, to see if maybe it was a Windows update that did me in. I tried Windows 8 and 7 compatibility. No Joy.

Here is a screen capture of the error message as it was fading away...fast bugger :)

Any ideas ?

Thanks for any suggestions and/or help :)

Attachments

• Sentinel Not Working.JPG
    Sentinel Not Working.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 532

phask

Premium Subscriber
Like almost any Windows issue 8.1, 8.2, Win7, it's usually that particular setup.

I am running Win8.1 with the latest updates as well as the latest version of Sentinel (2.03 rev2) and no issues.

You are more or less saying" It does not work -""period""" and believe me , we forum users have no idea what you have done. Somewhere you have added, changed, deleted, revised - something.

Even your statement -"will not connect to Sentinel software? is mis-leading. I interpret that to mean that you can not get Sentinel to run. It's something other - explain.

Does your desktop have a direct link, a shortcut or what?

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Like almost any Windows issue 8.1, 8.2, Win7, it's usually that particular setup.

I am running Win8.1 with the latest updates as well as the latest version of Sentinel (2.03 rev2) and no issues.

You are more or less saying" It does not work -""period""" and believe me , we forum users have no idea what you have done. Somewhere you have added, changed, deleted, revised - something.

Even your statement -"will not connect to Sentinel software? is mis-leading. I interpret that to mean that you can not get Sentinel to run. It's something other - explain.

Does your desktop have a direct link, a shortcut or what?

I suppose I don't know how else to say it, but I made NO changes to the way I previously accessed the software. It is a shortcut directly to the file. It ran just fine up until a couple of days ago, it simply wouldn't run.

I am running, or was running, the following version BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_1_01_07.

I did go to the Uniden link here, http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Sentinel_(Uniden_software) The page shows that the latest version is 1.02.01 for the BCDx36HP. The version you are quoting is for the Home Patrol, not the x36HP, correct? Or is there another link somewhere ? In the mean time, I shall download 1.02.01 and see if that resolves the issue.

Did you notice the screen capture of the Windows 8.1 error message I attached to the post, which I get everytime I try to double click on the program ? I wish it were an error on my part, I could easily back out :)

I simply posted for some ideas to help solve the problem. I do appreciate help and a gentle push in the direction of where I might go to fix this issue.

Thank you

TedRHayes

Have you tried connecting the USB cable to a different port? I have found in the past that some of the ports on my machine are connected differently to the underlying architecture, usually requiring different driver code.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Have you tried connecting the USB cable to a different port? I have found in the past that some of the ports on my machine are connected differently to the underlying architecture, usually requiring different driver code.

Thanks Ted,
That doesn't seem to be the problem. One can operate the software without a scanner attached, or it should operate as well with or without a scanner attached to the computer. I did try your suggestion tho, thanks. Still no joy.

That being said, I downloaded version 1.02.01 with the same negative run results. It will not load the software.

I have attached another screen capture showing the current information on this version of the software with the error message from Windows over it. This response is the same as before, even though I directly accessed the folder where the BCDx36HP Sentinel file is located and attempted to run it from there.

Windows says it is checking for a solution to the problem, but doesn't come up with one.

So, now I've tried the other way suggested and it didn't like that either.

Attachments

• Uniden Error on 1_02_01.JPG
    Uniden Error on 1_02_01.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 506

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Well, tried a couple of different ways to remove and reload the software.

Windows just pushed a Windows 8 update. I did that too.

I am still getting the same error where it will not load the x36 version of the Sentinel software.

I also have the HP-1 and the Sentinel version of that software loads just fine.

Groan :(

4436time

In Gov't We Trust
Premium Subscriber
Try checking the Windows event logs to see if they offer any clues.

Status
Not open for further replies.