Victoria, BC: Man arrested in Saanich after revealing location on stolen radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadMike

"..That night, thieves broke into the truck and took two portable radios, worth $4,200 each..."

$4,200 each?!? Anybody know what make/model this may have been...?

sfd119

"..That night, thieves broke into the truck and took two portable radios, worth $4,200 each..."

$4,200 each?!? Anybody know what make/model this may have been...?

Sounds about right for a low end APX

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Probably VHF XTS-5000, likely the system they are on is the CREST system (VHF Motorola Type 2)

Firefighters on the CREST system use the analogue talk groups so their radios are likely a bit cheaper than the Police radios. The police use P25 digital but all other user groups use analogue FM.

bcradio

Database Admin
The fire dept. radios are all XTS3000s and 5000s so far that I know. They went with the XTS series from the beginning.

SCPD

QRT
I'd like to know why when the truck broke down the individual driving it did not remove any gear thay could be removed easily such as portable radios. Think some reprimand example is in order.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'd like to know why when the truck broke down the individual driving it did not remove any gear thay could be removed easily such as portable radios. Think some reprimand example is in order.
I was wondering that myself... seems like a pair of portables would be easy to tale when the ride shows up... i would have grabbed them... ah well... someone learned a lesaon.

sfd119

I was wondering that myself... seems like a pair of portables would be easy to tale when the ride shows up... i would have grabbed them... ah well... someone learned a lesaon.

Some of our trucks have portables mounted in them on chargers. Instead of issuing radios to the person, it's in the truck. Or they're spares. Not uncommon. Also could have been a city mechanic or someone they trust so why remove all the equipment out for a half day fix to your truck?

Not the FD or FFs faults.

fred12

Premium Subscriber
I was lucky enough to be listening when this happened. It was a weird talkgroup that I hadn't seen used before, which drew my attention, and apparently the saanich PD's attention too.

SCPD

QRT
Was the talk group surveillance 1? Lol some people can be tards. I'm surprised the radios turning on didn't catch affiliation attention.

SCPD

QRT
Seem allot departments do that to save. If a town maint shop handles repairs then would make sense why they were left in it. Would lead to facility security then having assets around and no modern security. Seen that happen in small communities where nothing happens and lax persons leave a main gate open to a maint yard or someone working overnight then a curious cat wanders in.

Some of our trucks have portables mounted in them on chargers. Instead of issuing radios to the person, it's in the truck. Or they're spares. Not uncommon. Also could have been a city mechanic or someone they trust so why remove all the equipment out for a half day fix to your truck?

Not the FD or FFs faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.