HomePatrol 1 question on a/c power and batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I had ordered a BCD436HP, and got it today, and didnt like it, i have bad eyes, and the screen was hard to see for me, among other things with it. Anyways, sent it back, and went and picked up the HomePatrol 1, which i love so far!!!, Super easy to see, and figure out. Question is, I've got it hooked up to home all the time to the ac outlet, and i'll be taking it mobile too, so its sitting on my dresser, with it plugged in, and the batteries in it, when i powered it up, it asked if i wanted to charge the batteries, i said yes. SO, im wondering, does thei nternal charger cut off when the batteries are fully charged? So that i can just keep them in at all times, while plugged in at home, and it'll be ready to go with i go mobile with it? Thanks all.

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The question was could he do it, the answer is yes. Not everyone is equipped or motivated for external charging.

rwier

The question was could he do it, the answer is yes. Not everyone is equipped or motivated for external charging.

Are you recommending that he not read the threads I offered? They contain none of my words. In fact, I do absolutely ZERO external charging for any of my scanners.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
well, i had a pro-106 that kicked the bucket, and i had used with rechargeable Engergizer batteries in a Engerizer battery charger. SO, im fine with just useing that, i just noticed if i took the batteries out, it doesnt let you reply stuff, which is a feature i like, i so i guess, i can get another set of batteries, and keep them chearged, in the external charger, and always some charged up, and just leave some in the HP1, but not charge the beatteries with it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
He also asked if the battery charger cuts off when the batteries are fully charged. Since there is no way to detect the charge state of batteries being charged in series at low current, the answer to that part of his question should be "no." The charger is strictly a timed charge. Every time charge is initiated, it will charge for the full duration you've set, regardless of the initial charge state of the batteries.

SCPD

QRT
I do absolutely ZERO external charging for any of my scanners.

Coming from a guy that has been scanning for 35+ years, this is some of the BEST ADVICE you will ever get on these forums.

Trust me .. the possibility to have your batteries melt and wreck your scanner is very possible and I have seen posts here in the past with pics of wrecked scanners.

Why risk an expensive scanner (lets face it .. not too hard to spend $500 on that scanner now), when you can use an external charger that honestly does a better job.

I use a Maha charger .. MH-C9000 - Maha Energy and it is amazing.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
So, let me ask this, it doesn't automaticlly starting charging the batteires when i put them in, right??, I know its asked me when i put them in, if i want to start charging, and i always say NO. And I charge them in an external charger. Id like to keep them in there for the reply option.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you tell it not to charge, then they won't be charged. If you are really worried about inadvertently charging batteries internally for an extended period of time, .set the charge time to 1 hour

Status
Not open for further replies.