536 - P25 - Auto Mode. I'm confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa2sqq

Last night I was listening to the New Jersey State PD system and the Bergen County System. Signal strength for both at my location is very strong. P25 decoding was often “marginal”, especially when I compare it to commercial Motorola gear on the same systems.

The 536’s level is set to Auto where the level seems to be stuck at 8. In a parallel discussion about the 436 it’s been suggested that Auto mode isn’t working correctly – a known bug.

I read the 536’s manual which suggests that any auto adjustments can’t be made on a trunked system. I believe that I’m just not understanding something, so it’s time to reach out to the community.

Is there a more detailed explanation how I can set up the threshold level for each system that someone can point me to?

giant22000

The best way to find out is to put the P25 threshold to manual and adjust the level while watching the error rate as each system will probably be different. Obviously the lower the error rate the better. I did this on my local P25 system and it greatly improved the P25 decoding. For me a threshold of 11 gives best results on my local P25 system.

Sent from my Nexus 5

AC2OY

To the OP, there is a you tube video where the guy does this. To be honiest I haven't had the courage to try. I'm afraid I will mess it up.

giant22000

To the OP, there is a you tube video where the guy does this. To be honiest I haven't had the courage to try. I'm afraid I will mess it up.
There's nothing really to be afraid of. Backup your settings in Sentinel and if you fell like you've messed up, just reflash your settings in Sentinel and its like it never happened.

To the op, I'm on my phone or I'd post a link but search in google "BCD536HP easier to read manual" an that will really break it down a lot better on how to do this than the manual that comes with the scanner. I think the website is marks scanners or something like that.

Sent from my Nexus 5

W6KRU

There's nothing really to be afraid of. Backup your settings in Sentinel and if you fell like you've messed up, just reflash your settings in Sentinel and its like it never happened.

To the op, I'm on my phone or I'd post a link but search in google "BCD536HP easier to read manual" an that will really break it down a lot better on how to do this than the manual that comes with the scanner. I think the website is marks scanners or something like that.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'll help a little. Here is a link to the relevant section: Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

AC2OY

Thanks guys I somehow got into the error rate menu and in "Auto" it got down to zero after maybe 3 then 2? So I suppose it's decode properly because I hear all these talk groups. I like the easier to read manual as well any tool I can get my hands on helps.

giant22000

Thanks guys I somehow got into the error rate menu and in "Auto" it got down to zero after maybe 3 then 2? So I suppose it's decode properly because I hear all these talk groups. I like the easier to read manual as well any tool I can get my hands on helps.
Glad to help. Once you work out the quirks of these scanners they really are better than anything else out!

Sent from my Nexus 5

wa2sqq

Possible Typo?

I'll help a little. Here is a link to the relevant section: Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

I read the page on P25 adjustment and I think there may be a typo.
1. It states, "Set the P25 Threshold Mode to Manual in Site Options for the Site ....."
2. It goes on to say, "Allow the scanner to monitor the site or frequency for several minutes. The error rate should drop for each transmission and the threshold levels should automatically adjust

3. The photo shows the radio in AUTO mode.

I think Step 1 should instruct you to go into AUTO mode - right?
Once AUTO determines the optimum setting, you manually dial it in?

W6KRU

I read the page on P25 adjustment and I think there may be a typo.
1. It states, "Set the P25 Threshold Mode to Manual in Site Options for the Site ....."
2. It goes on to say, "Allow the scanner to monitor the site or frequency for several minutes. The error rate should drop for each transmission and the threshold levels should automatically adjust

3. The photo shows the radio in AUTO mode.

I think Step 1 should instruct you to go into AUTO mode - right?
Once AUTO determines the optimum setting, you manually dial it in?

I agree. Those statements don't make much sense. I set the site to manual, pressed function and turned the scroll knob to obtain the lowest err numbers. Once I found the correct setting for a site, I put those settings in sentinel for each instance of that site in my FLs.

wa2sqq

I apologize, but I've got to be missing something. Followed the instructions on pg 13 of the Easier to Read manual for changing the auto to manual. According to the manual a manual adjustment is only available on a conventional channel. I'm trying to adjust the threshold level on a trinket system (Jersey City Nj).

536 is a great radio, but the documentation is horrible!

giant22000

I apologize, but I've got to be missing something. Followed the instructions on pg 13 of the Easier to Read manual for changing the auto to manual. According to the manual a manual adjustment is only available on a conventional channel. I'm trying to adjust the threshold level on a trinket system (Jersey City Nj).

536 is a great radio, but the documentation is horrible!
I'm assuming you meant a trunked system. P25 threshold can absolutely be adjusted manually on a trunked system. You'll need to edit the site for a trunked system.

Sent from my Nexus 5

wa2sqq

From the radio I'm unable to figure out how to set threshold to manual and make the adjustment. Manual says threshold can only be adjusted on conventional channel. Trucked system seems to be hidden somewhere. Thanks for your response.

W6KRU

From the radio I'm unable to figure out how to set threshold to manual and make the adjustment. Manual says threshold can only be adjusted on conventional channel. Trucked system seems to be hidden somewhere. Thanks for your response.

Menu > Manage Favorites > Select Favorites List > Review/edit System > select System > Edit Site > Select Site > P25 Threshold mode > Manual > Menu> Menu > .....

giant22000

Looking at my BCD436HP I press menu, scroll over to manage favorites, press enter, scroll to desired favorite, press enter, make sure "Review/Edit System" is highlighted and press enter again, scroll down to the system you'd like to manually adjust the P25 threshold and press enter, scroll down to edit site, press enter, scroll down to the desired site you'd like to adjust the P25 threshold on, press enter, scroll down to P25 threshold mode, press enter, scroll to manual and select enter, press the menu button to go back to the previous sub-menu, scroll down to P25 threshold level, press enter, from here, you will use the keypad to enter the desired P25 threshold level.

At this point it's trial and error on what threshold level works best for your site. Make sure you have full signal strength so there's a minimal amount of interference as this can skew your results. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5

giant22000

Menu > Manage Favorites > Select Favorites List > Review/edit System > select System > Edit Site > Select Site > P25 Threshold mode > Manual > Menu> Menu > .....
lol, posted while I was pecking away at my phone...

Sent from my Nexus 5

W6KRU

If you don't know the correct threshold level for your system, you can figure it out easily. Scan the system in question. Press Function then volume. The first line on the display now shows the digital error rate and the decode threshold setting (0-20). While monitoring the err rate use function and the scroll control to change the threshold setting. Turn it up and down to see which level results in the lowest err rate.

After you find the correct threshold setting, you can enter it in the menu or sentinel for that site where ever it is used.

giant22000

If you don't know the correct threshold level for your system, you can figure it out easily. Scan the system in question. Press Function then volume. The first line on the display now shows the digital error rate and the decode threshold setting (0-20). While monitoring the err rate use function and the scroll control to change the threshold setting. Turn it up and down to see which level results in the lowest err rate.

After you find the correct threshold setting, you can enter it in the menu or sentinel for that site where ever it is used.
Yup... These are the exact steps I take!

Sent from my Nexus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.