• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wawa now licensed, why doesn't Walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Well finally Wawa switched off the 154.600 frequency that was common in PA and went to a licensed 158.400 frequency plus a few other frequencies, which always thought 151.625 did not require FCC License but listed on the call sign?
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQQU922 - WAWA - Frequencies Summary

Why Walmart doesn't take this simple simple step, they have all distribution centers up here in PA licensed and some even using digital radio
But all retail stores still on 154.5700 CSQ

SCPD

QRT
Personally let them. For several reasons. There are actually a few wal marts who use that 900mhz motorola radio that does freq skipping in a digital format not monitorable unless you have software and way to track the hop. But from what I understand most who use that do have security enabled. Let them stay on murs it's handy and informing. When I see people complain about it it's funny how they really need murs 4 around wal mart yet csn be 20 miles away and don't need it. I know what you are saying but referring to the others. I like it very helpful during the holidays and the such during sales ;) nothing illegal but I am always first to buy one of the 10 tvs for that low low price special.

SCPD

QRT
It is also humorous to hear them take "the walkies" they call them home or carry them around places talking to another off. I get a kick out of the ear pieces they carry walking around not at wal mart. Haha

Well finally Wawa switched off the 154.600 frequency that was common in PA and went to a licensed 158.400 frequency plus a few other frequencies, which always thought 151.625 did not require FCC License but listed on the call sign?
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQQU922 - WAWA - Frequencies Summary

Why Walmart doesn't take this simple simple step, they have all distribution centers up here in PA licensed and some even using digital radio

Why is it called "Wawa"? :confused: Why not just say Wal-Mart. I always liked playing with them on the MURS :twisted: and listening on Black Friday ;).

SCPD

QRT
I agree. It is very interesting. I wouldn't doubt those freqs Will be all dpl or that now they have a license I didn't check the designator but in aspect they could go nxdn, trbo, or p25. All offering cheap security. I'm surprised they haven't with low economy and theft up in stores. But like said they'll milk every penny out of a dime with upfront costs.

Steveradio

Walmart stores are still on 154.570 guess should re-wrote my question better.

If Wawa a big chain store can license radios and get new ones for stores why cant Walmart do the same, yes i enjoy messing with them once in awhile.

Just curious what made Wawa do this and Walmart not?

Sorry Wawa is a food/gas chain here in PA/NJ areas nothing to do with Walmart my fault on that

Walmart stores are still on 154.570 guess should re-wrote my question better.

If Wawa a big chain store can license radios and get new ones for stores why cant Walmart do the same, yes i enjoy messing with them once in awhile.

Just curious what made Wawa do this and Walmart not?

Thank you for claifying what you meant :D.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Wawa adding many stores in central Florida as well..

"'Wawa' is a Lenni Lenape Indian word for the Canada Goose that was found in the Delaware Valley

I'd buy stock as am there every day but privately owned company..

Many here in Maryland and Virginia as well.

Last edited:

rapidcharger

For one.) Walmart isn't stupid. MURS does not require a license and that is money saved. More money saved, more profit.

Second.) 158.4 is an itinerant frequency, not a coordinated frequency. So it is also shared with other users. Just like MURS. Assuming this is for some food distribution center or possibly a convenience store, high powered radios are not needed and use is not itinerant. Thus, they did it wrong. Although perhaps they were just trying to get away from all the annoying CBers who think MURS is just for individuals.

Third.) MURS is not just for personal use amongst individuals. There is absolutely nothing wrong with businesses like Walmart using it provided they are doing so within the rules. They are . Case closed. Get over it.

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
While I have never "messed" with Walmart or Sam's, I have found it helpful to communicate with them in a round about way. Last winter I needed one item that I could dash straight in for. Then I remembered I needed salt for the sidewalk, which was very hard to come by. In the parking lot I listened to the female manager and employees. Hearing another male voice I then said, "What department do we keep the salt melt in?" I was then informed by the female manager, "We're out!" So I skipped on my merry way straight to my destination and straight back out. Saved me from searching the store, and got back in time to pick the wife up at the grocery store.

ampulman

Wawa adding many stores in central Florida as well..

"'Wawa' is a Lenni Lenape Indian word for the Canada Goose that was found in the Delaware Valley

As a kid in West Philly, I used to see their blue trucks with a white goose emblazoned on them traveling east on Baltimore Ave.

Amp

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The Walmarts local to me are licensed for UHF. They all have CLS series radios. Sam's runs on MURS, Walmart does not though. It really just depends on where you are at.

The DC 40 miles North of me, actually has a UHF repeater for the drivers…and its linked to another repeater locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.