ALTITUDE ULTRA-HIGH DELETED
FREQUENCY 282.225 ADDED
FREQ USE DISCRETE ADDED
ALTITUDE ULTRA-HIGH ADDED

Can anyone verify this change?

BMT

doublescan

Atlanta center

Something must've changed at the Birmingham site too, though I don't know how to find out myself. I haven't heard a peep out of 128.725 for two days now, usually hear them pretty well.
Sorry I can't help on your question.
* IF this is considered 'hijacking the thread' , please delete.

Last edited:

AirScan

I haven't heard a peep out of 128.725 for two days now, usually hear them pretty well.

I'm not an expert on Atlanta Center but I seem to recall they used to maybe combine 128.725 with the adjacent sector on 133.175 ? Use 133.175 and shutdown 128.725 as required ? Any chance this is the case ? Or maybe they have replaced 128.725 with a new frequency ? Yeah I'm not much help but just curious myself, any info. appreciated.

Sorry I can't help with the UHF stuff either.

BMT

I went back and checked ZTL for a change, couldn't find one.
Then again ZTL isn't all that great about announcing changes.

BMT

AirScan

doublescan,

Any chance you can try and figure out what frequency they are using in place of 128.725 ? This should be easy to verify from the Birmingham area by monitoring Atlanta departures on Atlanta Center 134.950. For traffic westbound out of ATL planned above FL240 the next frequency they get the handoff to (from 134.950) should be that sector covered by 128.725. Or if anyone else in that area can verify it ? Thanks.

doublescan

Atlanta still there

Hey Airscan, they are still there on 128.72, I guess it's just the weather. I started hearing weak stuff on it today. Had been hearing them almost 24/7 this whole summer while the air was hot and stifling-sticky. Now that it is cooler, and air is drier, they fade out? Works just the opposite of what I expect, lol. Bham tower has been coming in pretty well though for several days now on 127.675.

pilotman6012

128.7250 is very much active and 127.6750 is not Bham tower it is Approach/Departure on Westside,123.8000 is Approach /Departure on the East.If you need others let me know,it also depends on your antenna.I am way up north Alabama and use a ST-2 indoors,for both VHF and UHF,pick up Birmingham approach all day long on both frequencies.
There is some changing of some frequencies though will have to listen for changing from one frequency to another,easiest way to tell where it maybe.

AirScan

Thanks for the info. on 128.275.

I'm working on a chart project showing high altitude (FL240 and above) sectors and frequencies. I like to keep it updated by actually monitoring the frequenices myself or from listener reports, as offical sources for high altitude sectors are not that accurate and hard to come by.

Attached is what I have for the area around Alabama. If you're interested and happen to notice any changes or errors can you post them here.

Thanks.

Last edited:

doublescan

ATC

Airscan, I know it was probably a typo, but 128.27 is a Memphis freq, I hear planes getting handed off to that one (and 127.37) for Memphis constantly.
Pilotman, I'm 26miles from the Bham airport, and can barely hear the Bham approach channels, at times. Also with an st2 , outdoors, up about 25' or so. You must really be on a great elevation to get this weak stuff from 100miles away!

pilotman6012

I have been doing this for about 20 years,and the antenna is ground level,indoors as i live in a small apartment and cannot put up an outdoor antenna,most of my radios are full base stations,i have a PRO-2052,PSR-400,Pro-433,PRO-163 and PRO-197.So i listen to a good variety of frequencies for various reasons,if i am not mistaken,there are some hills in that area Blount County,which may be blocking some of the signals.

doublescan

The hills have hills

Yes Pilotman, I am practically in a bowl, surrounded by ridges and hills. I figure I'm doing pretty well to get anything without a 300' tower, lol. On good days I can get the airport weather freq, 119.400 but it's usually very poor. It's fun to listen to them , even though I understand very little about how the actual system works in reality.

pb_lonny

I find the best way to confirm frequencies is to listen and keep note of any frequencies I hear when the aircraft are changing sectors.

BMT

Georgia
atlanta
atlanta artcc
ident ztl
rcag
site macon, ga
latitude - 32-55-46.48 n longitude - 083-49-47.66 w
frequency 269.625 added
freq use discrete added
altitude low added
frequency 273.6 deleted
freq use discrete deleted
altitude low deleted

bmt

AirScan

doublescan,

I know it was probably a typo, but 128.27 is a Memphis freq, I hear planes getting handed off to that one (and 127.37) for Memphis constantly.

Yeah that was a typo (it's correct on the chart). Thanks for the info. on 127.37 confirms what I have as well.

Any chance you can confirm the low altitude ARTCC frequencies around BHM ? (below FL240).

doublescan

low alt

Airscan, I thought I was beginning to understand a little of this, but seems to be getting more complicated every day. I listen, I plug in freq I hear, and somedays they're active, sometimes not. My being in a hole practically with the mountains & weather have a lot to do with that, I'm sure. I can hear the Atlanta RCAG most days, that's on 128.725, but sometimes I also hear the same thing on 127.300 (I think I read someplace that was the low alt freq-comes in really clear when I'm IN Bham). I hear the Bham approach on 123.800, and 127.675, but sometimes I also hear them tell pilots to switch to 132.15, or 120.15, maybe depends on the amount of radio traffic?
Maybe if I were a pilot it would be more clear to me! But I enjoy listening to the noise, it picks up around 3am here, and then its nonstop chatter all day.

AirScan

doublescan,

I can hear the Atlanta RCAG most days, that's on 128.725, but sometimes I also hear the same thing on 127.300 (I think I read someplace that was the low alt freq-comes in really clear when I'm IN Bham).

Yes 127.300 is a low altitude sector (up to 23000 feet), 128.725 is an intermediate high sector (from 24000 feet to 34000 feet (you can see it on my high chart).

Actually I found I LiveATC feed that covers BHM approach so I could confirm the adjacent Atlanta Center low sectors.

The frequencies and general coverage areas around BHM ...

127.300 (from west through northeast)
134.950 (from northeast through southeast)
132.250 (from southeast through west)

doublescan

ATL low

Thanks airscan, that helps. I d/l your chart but it is a little over my head. I will study it some more.
In the other thread from TX, you mentioned finding location of RCAGS.. how could I learn where the actual transmitter for this 128.725 freq is actually located? Would it be at the Birmingham airport? Thanks for the insight.

AirScan

how could I learn where the actual transmitter for this 128.725 freq is actually located?

Military Comms Map of ARTCC (Air Route Traffic Control Center) Transimitter Locations

Keep in mind the above website is based on FAA data which isn't always accurate with either location or frequencies. Although in the BHM case it does seem to be accurate, if you zoom in you can see the antenna's.

You can also use the Radio Reference database that shows the coordinates then plot them on Google Earth.

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

Also to get your bearings using the chart I put together you can find all the applicable aeronatical charts here ...,.

SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

The chart I put together is only for high altitude airspace (24000 feet and above). I'm still working on a low altitude one.

And of course FlightAware is also very useful for tracking flights.

FlightAware - Flight Tracker / Flight Status / Flight Tracking

pilotman6012

Hi Doublescan those other two frequencies you mentioned for Birmingham Approach 132.15 and 120.15 are for Satelite Airfields,they do control aircraft on Approach into Tuscaloosa on 120.15,very busy on game day.

doublescan

more ATL

Thanks Airscan/Pilotman, that helps a lot. The Bham RCAG isn't exactly where I thought, and the Gadsden one is 30miles north of Gadsden (further away from me too). Looks like there are mountain ridges between my place and the RCAG in BHM after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.