NooElec R820T, SDR #, DSD+ and MotoTrbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone I'm new to SDR and that wonderful world as they say. I'm running a Windows 8.1 machine with my NooElec dongle installed and working fine in SDR#. I'm trying to setup and listen to 461.825, which is a local MotoTrbo frequency that is not encrypted. When I do everything that it says to do on this website: RTL-SDR Tutorial: Decoding Digital Voice (P25) with DSD - rtl-sdr.com

I still cannot get it to work. DSD+ comes up in the command prompt and just says "Mono Audio Decoding Initiated; press escape to exit" and doesn't show all the lines of decoding that that website says is supposed to happen.

So could someone please help me? I have teamviewer installed on my computer and if someone wanted to remote in and help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

• SDR# screenshot.jpg
    SDR# screenshot.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,249
  • DSD+.jpg
    DSD+.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,114

BM82557

Have you tried un-checking the Squelch and Filter Audio boxes. Have you calibrated the dongle? Another thing is that you should have the speakers selected as the audio output for DSDPlus.

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
Not sure which version but one of the DSD versions has to be switched from P25, mototrbo,etc. So if your sure your soundcard output is right and all your audio levels are set,than the decoding mode might be your issue. There is a different version that's automatic. If your version doesn't pop up 4 windows when started than your running the older one.

Also been finding out that the newer SDR# doesnt play well with some of the plugins. I had some issues getting trunking to work and had to switch to a previous version of SDR# to get it all to work.

Last edited:

frazpo

settings

Ya there's all types of wrong settings here :)

It is not calibrated. While SDR is running open up the settings box (gear at the top) and and move the frequency correction up or down. You will see the waterfall adjust one way or the other. Do this until the peak falls right over the confirmed frequency. I can see on the photo that it is off for the frequ your trying to monitor.

Uncheck Filter audio

SDR needs output as the virtual audio cable

The audio output in DSD should be #2 for your speakers. If you ran dsd from the icon and the picture is showing what came up as default you will need to start DSD from the command prompt,,,

dsdplus -i1 -o2

This will set the appropriate ports.

This all I can see from the pics. Adjust these and see what happens. We should be closer at that point.

RonnieUSA

Strange, I never used WinDSD and that is what I use. Here are the dsdplus options,,,,

I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but when using DSD+ I just use the windows default, that I have set, so I don't enter any audio devices into DSD+, but with WinDSD, I have to enter what You posted.

frazpo

I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but when using DSD+ I just use the windows default, that I have set, so I don't enter any audio devices into DSD+, but with WinDSD, I have to enter what You posted.

Yep. On my Windows machine it does the same as his. I noticed in his pics that DSD is defaulting to VAC as the output. I think he needs his speakers as output, not VAC.

He actually just needs to specify output,,

dsdplus -o2

frazpo

So could someone please help me? I have teamviewer installed on my computer and if someone wanted to remote in and help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'd be happy to help help through team viewer if we need to. Just PM me if so.

frazpo

Here is a pic of how mine is set, and I do not have to enter any setting into DSD+.

I hate those small drop down boxes. So are you saying he is good on the SDR side for output?

I have to use the Windows option of the Virtual Audio Cable in that drop down box for output. Not the "MME".

Last edited:

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
DSD+ and SDR#

Hi Guys,

I have done what you have recommended by calibrating sdr #. I still cannot get it to decode anything on DSD+. See below screenshots to help you out. Please tell me what if anything I'm doing wrong. First time doing all of this.

Attachments

• SDR#1.jpg
    SDR#1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 931
  • SDR+OutputOptions.jpg
    SDR+OutputOptions.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 973
  • dsd+1.jpg
    dsd+1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,006

frazpo

input incorrect

Output for dsd should be #1 for your speakers. Try input as #3

Zoom in your waterfall and mark peaks. It doesnt appear to be real centered.

You should have the same settings as me now with those settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-10-18 18.02.14.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-10-18 18.02.14.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,017
Last edited:

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
SDR# corrected

Below you will see my SDR# and DSD running. Even with the changes that you told me to do, the command prompt is not showing anything running when traffic comes across. What am I doing wrong now?! Thanks for working with me guys. I appreciate it.

Attachments

• sdr-dsd settings.jpg
    sdr-dsd settings.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 890
  • sdr#2.jpg
    sdr#2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 863

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
I would still try the newer version of DSD+. Even though the other version might work it gave me nothing but headaches. Just my experience.

frazpo

gain in settings menu,,

Check your gain settings,,,

Also your still wrong on dsd input in the screen shot. Mine works on cable output option. Not line 1 virtual audio cable.
You may also need to set your window sound settings to default record with the VAC.

-i3 cable output

try this

dsd -i3

If this doesnt work try checking sound settings

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:

slicerwizard

Hi Guys,

I have done what you have recommended by calibrating sdr #. I still cannot get it to decode anything on DSD+. See below screenshots to help you out. Please tell me what if anything I'm doing wrong. First time doing all of this.
Well, you're using an ancient version of DSD+ and you're restricting it to DMR/TRBO decoding. At this point in your adventure, I wouldn't recommend either.

And there's not much point in worrying about DSD+'s outputs until it actually starts decoding something...

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

frazpo

And there's not much point in worrying about DSD+'s outputs until it actually starts decoding something...

Can not decode until input is correct.

None of the screen shots indicate he is calling for input #3 which is "Cable output (VB-Audio virtual C)"
Which is the only port his particular machine may need. It is on my setup.

And yes a lot of the questions on this thread are relevant. His first screen shots were filled with incorrect settings. We have been working through on correcting most. He can download the new version yes, but he wouldn't have known how to correctly calibrate that either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.