Mobile Amp for HTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4392

I recently bought a Yaesu HT and mag mount. Wondering if anybody knows of an amp that can use the 12-volt cigarette lighter as power.

The few amps I've looked at seem to require being hard-wired.

Thanks!

W8VFD

Feed Provider
When I first got licensed back in 1996 my first mobile install was a Radio Shack HTX-202 HT and RadioShack HTA-20A 2 meter 30 watt amplifier. I ran the HT & amp off of the same cigarette lighter plug and never once blew a fuse.

mrweather

Most cigarette lighter sockets are good to 10A. I have a Mirage BD-35 and it draws 7A so something like that should work with just a cigarette lighter.

I personally use PowerPole connectors hard-wired to the car battery so your mileage may vary.

N5TWB

When I first got licensed back in 1996 my first mobile install was a Radio Shack HTX-202 HT and RadioShack HTA-20A 2 meter 30 watt amplifier. I ran the HT & amp off of the same cigarette lighter plug and never once blew a fuse.

My first mobile setup in the 90s was similar with a Kenwood TH-215 HT and a RF Concepts 35w amplifier plugged into the lighter plug. The OP just needs to add up the required amps and the rating of the plug. It either adds up or it doesn't. Since newer cars have the auxiliary power plugs but rarely actually have a lighter, I suspect the wiring might be a lesser gauge than it was when there was actually a lighter there.

N4KVE

Will the equipment work through the liter plug? Probably. Should the equipment be plugged in the liter plug? Absolutely not. Plugging a radio in the liter plug is for people who are too lazy to correctly connect the radio to the battery, or for people who travel on business, rent cars, & need a quick way to get 13.8 volts. Years ago I was lazy, & connected my radio to the liter socket. It worked OK, but whenever I was at a red light with the headlights & A/C on, the radio did funny things as it wasn't getting enough voltage. I finally put my big boy pants on & took 20 minutes to properly connect the radio to the battery. After that I never had the red light problem again as the radio was now getting the current it needed. So unless you are in a different rental car every week, take the time to properly connect the equipment to the battery. Liter plugs are great for lighting a smoke, or charging a cellphone, but not for running 2 way equipment. I have an install guide for a Motorola 2 way radio. They do not discuss connecting the radio to the liter socket, only the battery.

Last edited:

mrweather

I have an install guide for a Motorola 2 way radio. They do not discuss connecting the radio to the liter socket, only the battery.
Official instructions from Motorola to obtain power anywhere other than directly from the battery would be negligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.