Tulsa Site Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dward42586

Premium Subscriber
Over the past 3 days, the Tulsa OKWIN site has slowly faded away on my 2 scanners. They are on different antennas and until now, I got very good reception.

Now I only have reception on the Kellyville and Bristow sites.

Any ideas on what's going on? I'm on Keystone Lake.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Sounds like they discovered the problem and repaired it. If you were having difficulties the actual users may have had problems as well. Don't jump the gun next time and give them time to fix it.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the transmit antenna or the control transmitter is failing.

Would it hurt for you to call or tell one of the users of the system that you think there is a problem?

I would not do that. Maybe if I knew the techs or dispatchers (or at least someone on the job) and I was 100% certain it wasn't my own stuff.

People that work on any system worth it's feedline know when something is amiss and don't need Scanner Yahoos(tm) calling them and telling them about it. Especially when it's the yahoo's own imagination (or his rubbery duck came off).

Now, none of this applies necessarily to the OP - he just heard something wrong with a public safety radio and was concerned. No harm in that and, IMHO, he did the right thing by checking with others.

Also note that I have been a Scanner Yahoo(tm) for over 30 years so don't accuse me of casting aspersions on others.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
That has no effect on ground based line of sight UHF and higher signals that don't pass through the ionosphere.

What? The guys on the ISS (among others) would be interested to hear about your theory of UHF and the ionosphere!

Generally, it's the lower frequencies that are either reflected or absorbed by the ionosphere. Depending on the amount of solar activity the maximum frequency that will bounce off can get quite high. 50 MHz F2 propagation is rare but not unheard of. I'm not sure how high it has ever gotten.

144 and up often reflects off clouds of ionization at the E layer height -- I've worked into New England and Canada on 2m -- but that's not quite the same (and don't ask me to explain because I'm right at the limit of my knowledge as it is!).

Could solar activity affect 850 MHz signals? I don't actually know but at the same time, I doubt that's what's going on here.

All radio signals are line of sight; some just get reflected or refracted in interesting ways. Which is what ham radio is all about. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.