RS Pro 106 Global settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredmich

Confusing settings in the Global Settings for RS Pro 106. What is the big difference between the bottom
2 settings? Very confusing !!

Attenuation Settings
Object Attenuation AttenMode Global Atten Display
Results

Off Normal Off No G or A Object/system/search attenuation Off
On Normal Off A Object/system/search attenuation On
On or Off Global Off G Attenuation Off- all objects/systems/searches
On or Off Global On GA Attenuation On- all objects/systems/searches

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Attenuation is when you weaken the signal being received by your scanner, which can be useful for if you are having some overpowering signal/interference on a particular frequency. The GA vs A signals the difference between how the scanner handles attenuation of frequencies.

GA means that the attenuator is on and applies globally (to all objects you are scanning).
G means that the setting for the attenuator is set to apply globally, but is not actively on.
A means that the attenuator is applied to a single object only and does not apply to other objects.
Nothing means that both the global setting and the attenuator is off.

The G setting basically allows you to do a blanket attenuation with a single press of the ATT button and will also shutoff globally if you press the button. There is a common misconception that the G indicates that all signals are being attenuated, this is not true as it only indicates that the option is turned on and will only apply if the A is showing as well. I have found it useful for cases in which I have gotten a lot of interference on the VHF band of frequencies and need to weaken some of the signals coming in.

If you don't have global attenuator on, then the ATT button applies to single object/frequencies at a time. this mean you can selectively choose which signals to attenuate if you have troubles with select frequencies, but others come in fine and do not need to be attenuated. This also means that you would have to go through and manually turn the attenuator off for each object if you did not want to keep the setting on.

R

retiredmich

So if I understand it right, it is OK to have both G & A active? Tks for the reply.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
So if I understand it right, it is OK to have both G & A active? Tks for the reply.

At the same time?...... Only if you want every signal that the scanner receives to be attenuated (weakened).

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)

As fxdscon said, if you have the A on at any time, that signal will be weakened. The G means that everything will be weakened only if the A is showing. The lack of a G means that only that specific frequency will be weakened.

It's okay to have GA on if the signal you are listening is pretty powerful (such as a repeater only a few miles out) and you are in a noisy environment (like being indoors). When I have my Pro-106 indoors near my computer, it tends to pick up on the interference even with the squelch 80% of the way up, so using GA helps cut down on that interference. It can be used for a variety of reasons, so I would suggest that you try out ATT when you have an active frequency to see how it behaves and whether you want it or not. Likely you won't as you will be wanting to pull in all kinds of signals.

R

retiredmich

Thanks for all the input on this I appreciate it , I was not sure what to do about this but your info helped, Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.