Cameron, TX - Commissioners get earful about MCSO radio system needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
CAMERON, Texas — Static! This is what you hear when listening to the radio communications of the Milam County Sheriff’s Office. Well, maybe not all of the time – but enough of the time to stimulate Milam County Sheriff David Greene and Chief Deputy Chris White to request the Milam County Commissioners Court to spend $468,751 to completely replace the communications system for the sheriff’s office.

Commissioners get earful about MCSO radio system needs - The Cameron Herald: News

nd5y

Currently vhf conventional analog. Wonder what they'll end up bidding out to later on.
According to the article:
Motorola representatives had inspected all of the communications equipment – from the top of the radio tower to the wiring in the dispatcher’s office – and declared that the entire system needed to be replaced.

N5TWB

I think I smell an approaching MotoTRBO proposal, complete with a new repeater site, since everybody knows: if it ain't digital - it ain't s***!!

OTOH, in defense of TRBO/DMR, a ham buddy with a DMR repeater told me the other night that his coverage area improved by 20% with the changeover from analog UHF.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Another problem highlighted during the sheriff’s presentation was that they cannot communicate with surrounding counties using their present radio system. At present, if Milam County officers need to communicate with Bell County officers, they use their radio to call the dispatch office – the dispatch office contacts the Bell County officers via telephone - and then acts as a go-between for the two sheriff departments to communicate. That problem would be corrected with the proposed Motorola communications system.
Interesting to note - Bell County is still on EDACS ProVoice, their P25 system hasn't been fully constructed or implemented yet. So either this is a "future use" promise or we'll be getting an EDACS PV flash option for our APXes soon. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.