• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I'm new to all that

Status
Not open for further replies.

quebecradioguy

Quebec Database Admin
Database Admin
Hi, i'm looking foward to buy TK-2207 Radios. It's for very light use (talking between pit and my pilot at my local speedway). The only thing I want to know, is if we need lisence to use Frequency range 136-174MHz? Or do we just program it at whatever channel we want in this range and we are good to go??

Thanks a lot!

sfd119

Yeah, if you program it to whatever you want you could end up talking to your local police, federal government, overriding a weather channel and more! That whole band isn't for you to just pick and talk on.

You do need a license if you want your own channel. Otherwise, you can use a MURS channel.

Really, you should talk to your local radio shop and let them help you out.

Hi, i'm looking foward to buy TK-2207 Radios. It's for very light use (talking between pit and my pilot at my local speedway). The only thing I want to know, is if we need lisence to use Frequency range 136-174MHz? Or do we just program it at whatever channel we want in this range and we are good to go??

Thanks a lot!
Well, you have options. You CAN use MURS, but MURS can get crowded and out of control making your communication intermittent. Probably not what you want while you're racing. If you do select this, and it is the path of least resistance (that's legal), use a good CDCSS code that's somewhere in the middle of the list so that your chances of having someone else break through are minimized. Try this one first. It's free and it might work fine for what you need.

You can get a license for itinerant business frequencies. These are shared and depend a lot on where you are. The objective is to license a few and pick the one that has the least interference on it -- or -- cooperate with others on the channel.

If you're racing in one particular venue, you can get coordinated (through a business radio license coordinator) and licensed (through the FCC - both frequency coordination and submission to the FCC are necessary, the coordinator will send your application through for you) on one particular set of frequencies that are set aside for you and maybe a small, manageable number of other radio users who won't interfere with you. Most people do either this or the one above.

In the end, only you are responsible for the course you choose. If you just set up wherever, you might be okay for a while, or you might have some consequences. Some of those consequences could very possibly draw undesired attention to you, cost you money you don't want to spend, and/or get in the way of other goals you might have.

Good luck, be safe, and win lots of races!

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
With only few exceptions (MURS, FRS, CB) ALL transmitters require an FCC license. Frequencies are assigned to services like Police, Fire, Business, etc. Some frequencies require coordination by one of the regional coordinating groups and some come out of a pool of frequencies that are shared by everyone but the bottom line is you will most likely need a license.

sfd119

But let's say i'd do that, would it work?(illegaly of course)
I just want to understand the system!

Thanks for your response btw

Sure you can! But FCC fines can be $20,000 for violation of not having a license. Not to mention if you interfere with a legitimate user and/or Public Safety, you could have some big problems. Read the information posted. Get a license.

Technically you are "suppose" to have a radio tagged for MURS use and only transmit 2 watts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
What "discombobulated" is saying is that every radio is "certified" for specific radio services such as MURS or Public Safety or Business etc. To be certified for MURS the radio has to meet certain FCC requirements such as only 2 watts of power and can ONLY be programmed for the 5 MURS frequencies. Many radios can be programmed for MURS frequencies and 2 watts but they don't meet some of the certification requirements such as not being capable of being programmed with any other frequencies. Just FYI MURS is Part 95 and Business radios are Part 90 certified.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And MURS is not an option for him in Canada...

Agree, MURS has not been approved in Canada yet. With what transpired in Ottawa today, I will not be giving out any more free information on radios other than scanners, and then only cautiously [as usual]. Haven't read all posts, but I feel it is time to be a lot more careful in advising how and what frequencies to use. Nice to see most here are pointing towards CB, GMRS/FRS and MURS in the US. There really is a reason that two way radios have to be certified and licensed frequencies obtained.

Status
Not open for further replies.