State Police and DEC going p25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar350

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I do know that one of the requirements to qualify for many of the federal grants, especially Homeland Security grants, is that your radio system must have P25 capability even if you operate analog. It's part of the shift to "interoperability."

So NYSP and DEC are likely positioning themselves for that eventuality, even if there are no plans to move away from analog for now.

n2nov

I do know that one of the requirements to qualify for many of the federal grants, especially Homeland Security grants, is that your radio system must have P25 capability even if you operate analog. It's part of the shift to "interoperability."

So NYSP and DEC are likely positioning themselves for that eventuality, even if there are no plans to move away from analog for now.

I know of nothing more "interoperable" than plain old analog voice.

SCPD

QRT
I imagine in future p25 conventional will be a standard for the 700/8 uhf vhf interop channels. Already to be on a forestry fire line your required to carry a p25 compliant radio.

MegaHertz315

Premium Subscriber
This year, there has been an increased use of digital operations (w/ encryption) on SP channels; 155.460 & 155.565 That maybe a sign of things to come?

They are also using 700 MHz for events. Digital (w/ encryption)

Spec

This year, there has been an increased use of digital operations (w/ encryption) on SP channels; 155.460 & 155.565 That maybe a sign of things to come?

They are also using 700 MHz for events. Digital (w/ encryption)

Often both these freq. are used as VIP protection / tactical / surveillance channels so the use of encryption is not surprising.

Darkstar350

yeah interop would make sense as to why they would keep channels licensed for analog as well as digital...

I just noticed this - whats with that [A] in between the emissions? like 11K2F3E, [A] 8K10F1D, [A] 8K10F1E

anyway ive been hearing their usual traffic on analog but I loaded the frequencies in question into my digital and set them to "digital only" so ill see if I get anything...

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
yeah interop would make sense as to why they would keep channels licensed for analog as well as digital...

I just noticed this - whats with that [A] in between the emissions? like 11K2F3E, [A] 8K10F1D, [A] 8K10F1E

anyway ive been hearing their usual traffic on analog but I loaded the frequencies in question into my digital and set them to "digital only" so ill see if I get anything...
Which specific document has these [A]???? I looked at a couple and didn't see them. Rather than us trying to paw through all the licenses, how 'bout posting a link to the document where you are seeing this?

Darkstar350

oh ok yeah that would make sense thanks Lynch...

still haven't heard anything on digital - still hearing the DEC on analog 172.275 and 159.225 i belive... same with state police
i think in the database they have a police freq confirmed with a NAC...

lafd55

Channels used by SORT, Executive Detail, and other TAC channels are p25 and Encrypted. I don't believe digital is in the near future for the State Police.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Their primary system would have to be rebuilt statewide if they were to transition to P25, as P25 requires much stronger blanket coverage- what would be very scratchy but readable analog might not even decode enough as P25 to register as a channel grant with the radio or decode any audible voice. P25 isn't their day to day game, but it offers benefits for those sections of NYSP that require the ability to secure their comms.

D

DaveNF2G

If you're hearing DEC on 172 MHz, then something is wrong. Maybe an image or intermod.

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
If you're hearing DEC on 172 MHz, then something is wrong. Maybe an image or intermod.
David,

You never cease to amaze me after all these years. Take a look at WNND347, the license, not the current application to mod by adding P25 emissions. It was originally issued in 2010 for 3 fixed locations in Suffolk County plus the usual mobile area. The licensee is NYS DEC Office for Public Protection.

D

DaveNF2G

Oops. I keep forgetting that the NYC Metro area is on another planet.

Darkstar350

Yeah 172 is usually in the Federal govt range - not so much state gov so that is different...

I think the 172 is mainly for the Long Island area every other area uses their statewide freqs...
but yeah that's how I have the DEC programmed - all of their statewide freqs as well as whatever else local system/frequency they may be on I think that's the best way to program any State service that has statewide freqs/operates on different systems ...

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Caught some traffic on the NYSP Tactical channel few days ago in Hudson Valley - 155.565 P25 NAC 240 Encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.