GSMNP RIDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbird

Premium Subscriber
Vacationing with scanners of course! Anyone have any TGID or RID info? Found TGs 1 & 2 on BCD536HP. Thanks

catbird

Premium Subscriber
The 536 allows you to set up P25 single frequency and display TGID and RID. Displays TGID of 1 & 2 and several RIDs.

n4yek

Most of the times, the RID's are associated with the callsigns. Every now and then you will see them different, probably because of radio maintenance and such.
But as rkm stated, the system is a conventional linked repeater system that uses mixed mode. What you hear on one frequency will be heard on every other frequency in the system. They do have some simplex freqs, you will hear them say "go local" when they switch to simplex. 99% of all communications are P25 but they do have the ability to be analog if needed.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
There are two different things that could be going on here. If the rangers are using APX and XTS radios both, AND the ASTRO TG is slaved to a system then you will see 2 different IDs pop up. The default ASTRO TG in an XTS/XTL radio is ID 0002. The default TG in an APX radio however is TG 0001. Neither of this matters if the radios aren't programmed to follow an ASTRO system TG and unmute when the proper TG is in use which I'll cover next.

I have seen some codeplugs where a wide-area P25 conventional system uses conventional TGs to minimize how much traffic is heard on a subscriber. You have the ability to select an all-call channel (TG 65535) which will unmute for any talkgroup, but if you select up a discipline specific TG then you will only hear that traffic. Makes it easier for law enforcement to not have to listen to maintenance traffic and vice versa. I've seen 3 TGs shared a cross a single system....maintenance net, general net, and LE net.

If you notice a pattern between the two talkgroups (IE only maintenance traffic on TG 2 and only law enforcement traffic on TG 1) then there may be a system in place. If it's scattered all over the place then it's just what the default programming came setup as.

TL;DR: It's a P25 version of a community repeater. Pick a different TG and you only hear certain traffic. Only downside is you have to share a single talkpath.

trumpetman

Database Admin
65535 decimal is 0xFFF in hex which is the TG reserved for an all-call. If the radios are set to unmute for only a specific TG (ie TG 1 or TG 2) then it will still unmute for 65535 due to it being an all call.

catbird

Premium Subscriber
FYI. Heard 400 units that if I`m not mistaken are Little River District. 500 units Oconaluftee area. 600 units Cades Cove area.
The 500 RIDs seem to match the unit numbers (ie..i512 is unit 512). The 400 and 600 RIDs didn`t match the Unit numbers.
Also several 4 digit RIDs (ie..2229,2230,3481)
Heard several 100 units and what sounded like possible "VP units"
Anyone have an information on who these units may be?
Thanks

kf4lhp

I believe VP units are Volunteers-In-Parks units. They typically seem to be handling traffic details when I've heard them. Have noticed Toyota Prius with yellow lightbars which are probably what they drive around.

Volunteers-In-Parks

Status
Not open for further replies.