996XT VS BCD 436 Region of Peel reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Hello guys, I am pulling my hair out on this one.

The region of peel is a basic P25 system I believe at the moment, My BCD 436 is picking up the system now perfectly, however my 996XT will barely stop on any transmission.

Any ideas guys...

Something in the programming or does the 436 just decode P25 that much better..

thank you!

Jason

SCPD

QRT
Hello guys, I am pulling my hair out on this one.

The region of peel is a basic P25 system I believe at the moment, My BCD 436 is picking up the system now perfectly, however my 996XT will barely stop on any transmission.

Any ideas guys...

Something in the programming or does the 436 just decode P25 that much better..

thank you!

It appears the 436 is much better on some P25 systems, I know Peel old and new system are simulcast systems and scanners have had trouble with those type of systems in the past, maybe the 435 has improved on that. I notice huge improvements on Halton as well, old 996 not stopping on talkgroups but 436 is.

I have the reverse problem you are having with Peel and it's probably a programming/settings error on my part as I am new to the radio but Peel talkgroups just don't seem to come through with voice. The one good thing about working through these technical problems is we really learn the radio and the software, when you are troubleshooting the impossible you go through every setting, learn what each setting does and get a good behind the scenes working knowledge of the equipment.

SCPD

QRT

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Yes, the database is correct. The system is Phase II but all that means is the system supports tdma talkgroups.

You have to look at the talkgroups to see if any are tdma. In this case, none are marked as tdma so a 996XT will work fine on the system.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
So is it definitely a phase 1? Hearing multiple people say it doesn't work well on a 996 but works great on the new unidens 436/536

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
I wasn't paying attention to which talk groups came up but the 996XT was in Search mode so it could have been anything. But I definitely heard voices, in the clear.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Add I said a few posts before, the system is Phase II. All that means is that it supports tdma talkgroups. Whether they are using them or not is a different story.

VE3RADIO

Almost all the new systems put on the air in recent days are going to be phase II.. as Steve said.. it does not mean they will implement phase II..

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, after some extensive trouble shooting and testing, I have got the Peel P25 System to work on my 996XT quite well now. I am not too sure why, but as soon as I hooked up a dedicated 800 Mhz antenna to the 996XT it came in very well.

The 436 was just using a watson wsma-801 ducky antenna and it was picking it up well..

But to still compare the two, the 436 seems to decode much much better hands down..

So who knows,

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Hey guys, after some extensive trouble shooting and testing, I have got the Peel P25 System to work on my 996XT quite well now. I am not too sure why, but as soon as I hooked up a dedicated 800 Mhz antenna to the 996XT it came in very well.

The 436 was just using a watson wsma-801 ducky antenna and it was picking it up well..

But to still compare the two, the 436 seems to decode much much better hands down..

So who knows,

You are correct, the 436 handles Peel and Halton much better than the XT

Status
Not open for further replies.