29.790Mhz weird Traffic (FM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdobbs2001

heard people talking about school buses etc.. real odd frequency for such use. anyone hear this?

jdobbs2001

I wonder what equipment they buy and why would they use such a low band VS VHF ie 150's etc..

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood, Motorola and probably a few others all make low band VHF radios that will go down to 29.5.

Low band really works well simplex for covering large areas. Many times low band simplex will provide as much, or more, coverage than a VHF High Band repeated system.

Drawback in interference, big antennas, etc.

SCPD

QRT
Lowband

Lowband is still a good way to communicate.
The problems crop up with the old systems, that fail not because of the radios, but because the antennas and coax don't get swapped out every 10-15 years or so, and range starts to deteriorate.

jdobbs2001

What is your location? It is very likely you are hearing Van Pool Transportation in Fitchburg, Ma repeater on 29.79, PL 151.4; WQMA652.

Miami florida.

Traffic now still quite strong, students for school. like some kind of bus for public schools

I cannot seem to find any current issue radios that run down to 29mhz.

Most stuff I have seen is higher up (ie 42mhz) I am surprised that stuff in the 29mhz range is still commercially available today for commercial operations.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Kenwood TK-6110-1 (they don't manufacture them anymore but my understanding is that there is a new stockpile kenwood is trying to get rid of). It was also discovered the range 3 radios will actually go down there as well.

TK-690 should still have a range for that (and the VX-6500).

Mancow, I read your post and literally the FedEx guy knocked on the door with this…
d782d85bb111858ac49e064c3fef8a50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mancow

Database Admin
Kenwood TK-6110-1 (they don't manufacture them anymore but my understanding is that there is a new stockpile kenwood is trying to get rid of). It was also discovered the range 3 radios will actually go down there as well.

TK-690 should still have a range for that (and the VX-6500).

Mancow, I read your post and literally the FedEx guy knocked on the door with this…
d782d85bb111858ac49e064c3fef8a50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T71 lowband?

Good stuff!!! My favorite.

N1BHH

You most likely were hearing Van Pool Transportation LLC. They are located in central Massachusetts. They provide school transportation services to numerous school districts in the central part of the state. The repeater is in Fitchburg. The PL I recently confirmed was 100.0. They operate on a few other repeaters out in that part of the state. There is nothing odd about these frequencies, many businesses operate still in this range. Low Band VHF LMR starts at 29.71 and there are other frequencies even lower, near 25.91, mainly used for remote broadcast pickup.

Business Radio Systems - Scan New England Wiki

ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQMA652 - Van Pool Transportation LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.