Calgary Police Service Special Units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
I've been listening to the Calgary City Police and have taken note of a few different callsigns that have popped up ... can you help out identifying these?

SR62 - Might have something to do with school liaison (mention of Beaverbrook School)
Tango 821 - Training??? (any sequence to the numbers?)
CAP 1 -
RTOC - something to do with Duty Supervisor?
Traffic Units ? -

Please add any others you may know of.

Thanks

smason

I think SR is School Resource Officer, but someone here told me no a while ago so ??
I think you're correct on Tango training.
I thinl RTOC is the Real Time Operations Centre they do things like cell phone pings etc.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Traffic units used to have calls of 4XXX . Not sure if this still applies.

ahp309

Tango units are "training" (Field Training Officer and a recruit.)

Traffic Response Units are 4401 to 4449 (4401 is the duty TRU Sgt.)
Commercial Vehicle Unit 4481 & 4482 (now part of the Collision Reconstruction unit)

RTOC is as was stated in a previous post.

SR is school resource.

PR units in 5 & 7 are "patrol response"

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for those updates ...
Now are Tango units actually taking calls on the streets? (ie T821/T817)
What are Patrol Response Units?
Is Collision Reconstruction Unit not a part of the Traffic Unit?

I have also heard the following callsigns:

SR61 =
PC36=
Just heard Mounted Patrol (MP13) ID # 54351
MP11 = Bike or Horse?
Also heard DC54 & DC56 =

Thanks in Advance for your Help.

Tango units are "training" (Field Training Officer and a recruit.)

Traffic Response Units are 4401 to 4449 (4401 is the duty TRU Sgt.)
Commercial Vehicle Unit 4481 & 4482 (now part of the Collision Reconstruction unit)

RTOC is as was stated in a previous post.

SR is school resource.

PR units in 5 & 7 are "patrol response"

MrVelvet

Yes, Tango units are 2 man units that take calls like any other zone unit.

Collision recon units are 447x and are part of Traffic.

MP is mounted patrol as in mounted on a horse. MB is mountain bike.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Is it particularly wise to continue to ask for detailed info on police particulars in light of today?

Bravo1

Seriously?

With all due respect Jay - I HIGHLY doubt that anything would be gained by that - call signs are pretty freaking easy to figure out.

Doubt any terrorist would care about what units would be responding to their call!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Agreed .. very much so. This is not stuff for a public forum.

I disagree but it depends on what is being discussed. And I have stated this in other threads. We have some people that want to control other people. I said this in the Ontario forum that citizens have to be more aware of what is happening in their community. We cannot end up being citizens against the police or police against the citizens. How many bad people really utilize these forums for assualts/crimes against humans? I would guess that terroists are smart enough to be well prepared for what they intend to do, and are knowledgable to carry it out with or without scanners. History tends to support this. There are far more citizen eyes and ears than the police/army have. Citizens should be made more aware of what is happening in their community so they become more vigilant, not vigilantes. But to do this we need information that is fresh and not posted in the media days later. Having joined HUB in Calgary, I felt it would give me up to date information on things in my local community. However, very little information comes out and when it does, it is days after the event happened. At one time people took the time to know what was going on in their community and the police would talk to the citizens. I'm not sure what the problem is with discussing unit call signs as they are clearly stated on top and on the back of most police vehicles in public. The only time you don't see a unit number of a vehicle is with an unmarked vehicle, but most of these stand out like a sore thumb.

smason

Citizens should be made more aware of what is happening in their community so they become more vigilant, not vigilantes. But to do this we need information that is fresh and not posted in the media days later. Having joined HUB in Calgary, I felt it would give me up to date information on things in my local community. However, very little information comes out and when it does, it is days after the event happened.

Agreed. There's been a noticeable decline in what's covered on the City Newsroom site as well.
No mention of the ATV incident on Southland, or numerous other incidents lately.

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
There's nothing wrong with asking about callsigns heard on radio traffic in the clear -- it's not the same as going into deep discussions about operations, security,etc. which obviously isn't okay.

I agree with robertmac to a point -- it's all about best judgement, you don't want to thwart investigations or put anybody's life in danger by posting play-by-plays of officer positions during a serious event.

If we subscribed to the HURR NO CALLSIGNS philosophy, then we might as well just shut this forum down and never discuss scanners again.

To add to the list,
SR is 100% School Resource officer.
SHxx is SHOPP (Serious Habitual Offender etc. etc. etc.)

Anybody know what the number/letter/number callsigns are? 4-Bravo-23, etc.

Also, to reply to smason, if you're talking about the incident with the developmentally challenged woman ripping down Deerfoot at 90kph on her Quad, it got coverage the day off and the next day. What the media chooses to run with depends on how slow of a news day it is -- breaking news isn't held back due to 'security concerns,' if it's on the scanner, it'll be followed up on.

smason

Also, to reply to smason, if you're talking about the incident with the developmentally challenged woman ripping down Deerfoot at 90kph on her Quad, it got coverage the day off and the next day. What the media chooses to run with depends on how slow of a news day it is -- breaking news isn't held back due to 'security concerns,' if it's on the scanner, it'll be followed up on.

I know it got some coverage in the media, I was referring to the City of Calgary News Release website which seems to be covering a lot less lately.

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
I know it got some coverage in the media, I was referring to the City of Calgary News Release website which seems to be covering a lot less lately.

Ah, okay -- I suppose it depends on how busy they are. I know I've been getting a lot more calls to the duty inspector going to voicemail these days.

ahp309

What used to be "North Division" has gone back to Districts 5 & 7. They are then split into 2 zones, 5 Alpha, 5 Bravo, 7 Alpha, and 7 Bravo. (rather than the 4 or 5 zones all other districts have).

Before anyone gets upset and calls me out ..... this information comes right from the CPS public website.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if they are testing ... or just getting busier?
However District 6 & District 8 have split their dispatch channels. (A6 & C6)
Anyone heard anything about this?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
If a district has a major event on going, they will often split channels up so the people involved in the major event have more air time and the others, not involved can be dispatched/talking on the other channel. Unfortunately, because of the problems yesterday with the bus and today they had to split channels.

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
One more question for the group ...
Are all the portables starting with "40" ?
Mobiles = "5xxxx" ?

Thanks

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification ...

BTW I heard a new call sign today ... Was FC84
Any idea what type of unit that would refer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.