Capital City Police using Digital...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

The Montpelier Police Dept. is using digital equipment.

I don't know how many are using it but I have heard on the local Montpelier conventional police frequency that they have been talking on a digital radio/frequency recently.

The dispatcher the other day advised an officer that if he talks on his digital radio, the other officer he was trying to talk with isn't going to hear him.

Sounds like this equipment may be new to them and they're getting used to using it.

I also heard the dispatch say something about not hearing someone because they were using the digital radio/frequency-or something similar to that.

Looks like the digital age is coming to the small city here in Central Vermont.

Blackink

Hey W8RMH, thanks for that bit of info. I learned something today thanks to you.

I never would have looked at the Emissions Designator nor did I have a clue what it meant. I do now!

Thanks again :)

methusaleh

Yes indeed, you will be hearing a lot more P25 stuff on the air as the grant-funded radios have been trickling in and being programmed over the past couple months. It seems that they are mostly Kenwoods from what I've seen.

Blackink

Gotta keep an eye out for those Emission Designators they warn of a change a coming.

KSU653 (MONTPELIER, CITY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Note the Emissions Designator 8K10F1E ( P25 Phase I ).

I also see that Barre PD, and Northfield PD are also licensed for it.

So that frequency 460.0500 that's listed next to that Designator that might be/probably is P25 digital. At least for now I'm hearing the Montpelier PD on that frequency on an analog scanner.

I'm not familiar with digital scanners so.....can the same frequency like that 460.0500 be used on both a digital and an analog scanner with only the digital scanner hearing the P25 transmissions and the analog scanner hearing regular transmissions?

If not, please educate me on this.
Thanks

Blackink

Yes indeed, you will be hearing a lot more P25 stuff on the air as the grant-funded radios have been trickling in and being programmed over the past couple months. It seems that they are mostly Kenwoods from what I've seen.

Do you have some news articles about this info I could read up on or is that privileged info?

Thanks either way.

methusaleh

Do you have some news articles about this info I could read up on or is that privileged info?

Thanks either way.

I am sure it was covered by the press sometime when the grants were awarded, perhaps a year or so ago.

There is/was a (quasi?) official delegation known as VCOMM who managed the grant in the initial stages, however lately things seem to have unraveled and individual jurisdictions' own administrators are calling the shots. It has led to some conflicts, believe me!

I would not post any "secret" info on the site, and frankly I know very little; I am privy to what is going on as I'm a supervisor at one of the law enforcement agencies in the area, as well as being someone who programs radios for a few fire and police departments.

I do admit that the radio nerd in me is now inspired to search for things online regarding this issue. Thanks for the idea :)

SCPD

QRT
Is it different systems such as old a uhf or vhf and new is 7/800? Would think public safety a patch or simulcast to the old till everyone transitioned on. If it's conventional say for example old uhf new uhf they should put a zone/channel labled old disp1 so until all got on everyone could communicate or mix mode it up.

methusaleh

Is it different systems such as old a uhf or vhf and new is 7/800? Would think public safety a patch or simulcast to the old till everyone transitioned on. If it's conventional say for example old uhf new uhf they should put a zone/channel labled old disp1 so until all got on everyone could communicate or mix mode it up.

Generally it is the same frequencies, with different radios and capabilities.

All of the departments I know of did the rollout at the same time for all of their units, handheld, base, or mobile, all within a week or two. It was not as if there was any lag time before everyone could communicate within each agency.

Are all agencies who are now using the P25 radios using them in digital mode? Heck no. Are some? You bet!

Blackink

Generally it is the same frequencies, with different radios and capabilities.

All of the departments I know of did the rollout at the same time for all of their units, handheld, base, or mobile, all within a week or two. It was not as if there was any lag time before everyone could communicate within each agency.

Are all agencies who are now using the P25 radios using them in digital mode? Heck no. Are some? You bet!

Thanks for all the help regarding this issue methusaleh.

Maybe you can help me with this question:
Would you happen to know if Berlin police are in fact using the State Police frequency:460.4250?
It's listed as such in the RR database.
I see that the State Police in Middlesex are on that frequency and I have no problem hearing Middlesex VSP on that frequency but if the Berlin PD are using it, I never hear any identification letting me know that it's them.

Maybe you can enlighten me on what I need to listen to on that frequency to know it's Berlin PD if indeed they are using/sharing it with VSP.

Thanks......

Tower7Troll

Berlin PD identifies as 1180 through 1199 when talking with VSP Middlesex.

I will not comment on the Montpelier PD digital radios or the conversion of other agencies as I am privy to sensitive portions due to my role within another public safety agency.

Blackink

Berlin PD identifies as 1180 through 1199 when talking with VSP Middlesex.

I will not comment on the Montpelier PD digital radios or the conversion of other agencies as I am privy to sensitive portions due to my role within another public safety agency.

So what you're telling me is that Berlin PD does operate and/or transmitts on frequency 460.4250?

Tower7Troll

Yes...

Berlin PD is dispatched by VSP Middlesex, and operates primarily on their repeater. Berlin PD has a few other channels that they use from time to time (such as the town's VHF Repeater when talking with BVFD)

Status
Not open for further replies.