Commonwealth One

Status
Not open for further replies.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Now that the new Commonwealth One helicopter is in service in Wyoming/Lackawanna County does anybody know who is dispatching them and on what frequency? Or are they just being dispatched by phone through someone similar to how the helicopters are sent in Delaware?

CommJunkie

In reference to Delaware: LifeNet 6-1 and 6-4 are dispatched on 160.020 for flights

Who staffs Commonwealth One?

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Interesting. I wasn't sure if 160.020 were still in use. I've never heard anything on them traveling through the area.

It's run by Commonwealth Health so maybe someone with better FCC searching skills can find some info. Here's a few articles on it:

Commonwealth Health adds medical helicopter, critical care ground transport team - News - Citizens' Voice

Commonwealth Health to Operate Medical Aircraft, Provide First Critical Care Ground Transport in Region | Commonwealth Health

The 2nd one has a PDF with a fact sheet but I can't get he PDF to open right now. I'm not sure if there's anything in there.

CommJunkie

If you're in NEPA, you're a little far away to hear anything on 160.020. I live on the Delaware County / New Castle County border, and I hear them on it frequently.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I have friends that live in 2 of the Delaware Counties so I'm down that way quite often. But I've never heard anything on that frequency. I didn't think it was still active.

I've tried to do an FCC search but haven't found anything for Commonwealth One. Anybody with a better knowledge of searching able to find anything?

Last edited:

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Re-reading the articles this is mentioned in the second one:

"Commonwealth Health’s helicopter provider is Englewood, Colo.-based Air Methods, the largest provider of air medical transport services for hospitals and one of the largest community-based providers of air medical services. Air Methods was the first helicopter operator and air medical provider to reach the highest level of the FAA’s voluntary Safety Management System program. Air Methods will provide the aircraft, pilot and maintenance."

Air Methods has a very large Comm Center so I was wondering if they may be the ones doing the dispatching but searching for LA Amublance, Commonwealth Health, and Air Methods all comes up empty. Anybody else able to find anything?

CommJunkie

Is there a sunshine network or something from a radio dealer up there? JeffStat and Temple are on frequencies licensed to Sunshine. They're probably borrowing something from someone up there.

Also, I just heard LN 6-1 dispatched on that freq today around 1100am. In addition to tones, their comms are on that freq too.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
Re-reading the articles this is mentioned in the second one:

"Commonwealth Health’s helicopter provider is Englewood, Colo.-based Air Methods, the largest provider of air medical transport services for hospitals and one of the largest community-based providers of air medical services. Air Methods was the first helicopter operator and air medical provider to reach the highest level of the FAA’s voluntary Safety Management System program. Air Methods will provide the aircraft, pilot and maintenance."

Air Methods has a very large Comm Center so I was wondering if they may be the ones doing the dispatching but searching for LA Amublance, Commonwealth Health, and Air Methods all comes up empty. Anybody else able to find anything?

Conemaugh MedStar is also an Air Methods ship based in Somerset Pa. MedStar is dispatched by AirCom located in Omaha Nebraska. They utilize a frequency and equipment licensed to a local radio vendor. A search of the FCC data base indicates that Air Methods does not hold any radio license within the Commonwealth. (at least what I can find)

AirCom - Only Center Of Its Size And Scope In The Nation

captclint

Mentor
Commonwealth One just called into Geisinger dispatch (453.1250) regarding a flight into CMC. Not sure why the call to Geisinger, since they were not landing at a Geisinger facility, and did not want them to patch into CMC (the usual reason for a call of this nature) They then proceeded to contact Geisinger regarding their approach and then landing at CMC. Almost sounded like were using them as their local dispatch, except the original dispatch was not through Geisinger.

Doesn't answer the question of what freq they use for their own dispatch, but this is the 1st I have heard them anywhere.

Last edited:

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Conemaugh MedStar is also an Air Methods ship based in Somerset Pa. MedStar is dispatched by AirCom located in Omaha Nebraska. They utilize a frequency and equipment licensed to a local radio vendor. A search of the FCC data base indicates that Air Methods does not hold any radio license within the Commonwealth. (at least what I can find)

AirCom - Only Center Of Its Size And Scope In The Nation

I did a search for Air methods as well and the closest I found was in New York. I'm scratching my head trying to figure this one out.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Commonwealth One just called into Geisinger dispatch (453.1250) regarding a flight into CMC. Not sure why the call to Geisinger, since they were not landing at a Geisinger facility, and did not want them to patch into CMC (the usual reason for a call of this nature) They then proceeded to contact Geisinger regarding their approach and then landing at CMC. Almost sounded like were using them as their local dispatch, except the original dispatch was not through Geisinger.

Doesn't answer the question of what freq they use for their own dispatch, but this is the 1st I have heard them anywhere.

This is puzzling as well. I must've missed that one. I just heard Medevac 4 on the LF3 repeater but have yet to hear Commonwealth One on there. Actually since I can't get a lot of the area they're covering on a consistent basis the only way I know there a helo call is when LF3 gets dispatched after "Commonwealth One declined". Being competing hospital systems that would be rather strange to use Geisinger as their dispatch center. But I guess it could happen. I'm still digging around to try and find something. I've pretty much searched everything I can think of along with what was suggested here and found nothing so far. Hopefully someone somewhere knows.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Not really on the topic but I'm curious. Where is the Geisinger dispatch for the Life Flights located? Is it down in Montour County or out of one of those nationwide centers?

captclint

Mentor
Not really on the topic but I'm curious. Where is the Geisinger dispatch for the Life Flights located? Is it down in Montour County or out of one of those nationwide centers?
KNCC234 (GEISINGER MEDICAL CENTER) FCC Callsign Details
The local repeater is in Black Creek, but the actual center may be located in Danville or Avoca, with a phone line to Black Creek. The "Primary" comm channel (155.16) is definitely in Danville.I can get that fairly well. As you can see, they also have one in Williamsport and State College. FYI, I used to get the base station input (150.7750) at State College really well, but not the output: 155.3250. Never could figure that one out.

Last edited:

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Their comm center is located in the ED at GMC Danville.

druhe

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this is relevant to this thread or not.

IG WQUV971
AIR METHODS
[RADIOS WILL BE USED TO COORDINATE ACTIVITIES OF GROUD OPERATIONS FOR AIR METHODS.]
Control Point 1 - 5307 LINDBERGH DR, OMAHA NE 402-970-1430
(link)
10/29/2014 License Issued
1 - 201 REECEVILLE RD, COATESVILLE (CHESTER) PA [Structure: Building] (map)
[Antenna 1 - HTT: 8.7m, HAAT: 25.8m]
153.5225 FB Ant: 1 45p 45e Units: 1 11K0F3E
2 - (CHESTER) PA 40.0 km radius around fixed location 1
153.5225 MO Ant: 1 5p 5e Units: 5 11K0F3E

CommJunkie

Speaking as a former flight dispatcher, I can tell you that when an aircraft is travelling out of it's home radio range, they can and do switch over to other local radio systems in order to maintain contact with someone on the ground. That comm center will then relay the flight information given to the aircraft's primary comm center via radio. You will hear this frequently on PennStar's frequency when outside aircraft are travelling in the city of Philadelphia.

CMC Scranton is now part of Geisinger Health System. So they technically were landing at a Geisinger facility

druhe> nice catch. That radio system will be used by JeffStat in the Brandywine Hospital area to provide better communications in the western area of their coverage. It will also be the primary channel for the new Jeffstat 3 helicopter, scheduled to go in service on November 10.

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm confused

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
160.020 is listed by the FCC BUT not to the Commonwealth Health system. Bottom line the new critical care chopper is based out of the Seamans airport in Susquehanna County----does anyone know what frequency the use to get dispatched and communicating with dispatch?

CommJunkie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
160.020 is listed by the FCC BUT not to the Commonwealth Health system. Bottom line the new critical care chopper is based out of the Seamans airport in Susquehanna County----does anyone know what frequency the use to get dispatched and communicating with dispatch?

160.020 is for LifeNet helicopters in Delaware.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
KNCC234 (GEISINGER MEDICAL CENTER) FCC Callsign Details
The local repeater is in Black Creek, but the actual center may be located in Danville or Avoca, with a phone line to Black Creek. The "Primary" comm channel (155.16) is definitely in Danville.I can get that fairly well. As you can see, they also have one in Williamsport and State College. FYI, I used to get the base station input (150.7750) at State College really well, but not the output: 155.3250. Never could figure that one out.

Interesting. I never tried the 150.775 unless I was traveling out to Pittsburgh. The 155.325 I can barely get Fire West on here in my "dead spot" so I know I can't get anything on that one. I can get the 453.125 very strong. But that's the only one.

Their comm center is located in the ED at GMC Danville.

I thought it was still down there but wasn't sure after all these mergers and takeovers things get moved around quite a bit. TY!

Status
Not open for further replies.