Uniden you should be embarrassed ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Uniden .. just got my 436HP and you should be embarrassed.

I have owned a number of your products in the past, but
sadly this 436HP is the biggest piece of **** ever.

I have not even turned it on yet, and don't know if I really want to.

The rubber cover over the usb port does not even stay shut.

Sad for a product right out of the box.

I feel sad for Paul having to try to pretend that you make a quality product like you once did.

I will never buy another Uniden product again. I have read here on RR that I am not the only one.

Boatanchor

This should generate a few comments lol :)

As a long time (mostly) happy x96XT owner, I too have been somewhat disappointed with the new products. The 'old faithful' (BCD396XT) still accompanies me everywhere, while the bulked up, new kid on the block rarely gets turned on, let alone taken out anywhere.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
This should generate a few comments lol :)

As a long time (mostly) happy x96XT owner, I too have been somewhat disappointed with the new products. The 'old faithful' still accompanies me everywhere, while the bulked up, new kid on the block rarely gets turned on, let alone taken out anywhere.

I have a couple 780XLT's still, it is not like I hate them .. but it is sad when you spend $700 on a scanner and it sucks.

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
First, this belongs in the Tavern and I assume will be going there shortly.

Second, Lord knows I have been critical of the 436 /536 line of scanners for what I believe to be either serious defects, missing features, or just plain poor design.

However, to be fair coming on this board and stating that the scanner is a piece of **** after admitting you haven't even turned it on, and because the rubber USB cover won't close is a bit ridiculous.

And if you spent $700.00 on a 436, you have issues far beyond scanner satisfaction.

SCPD

QRT
First, this belongs in the Tavern and I assume will be going there shortly.

Second, Lord knows I have been critical of the 436 /536 line of scanners for what I believe to be either serious defects, missing features, or just plain poor design.

However, to be fair coming on this board and stating that the scanner is a piece of **** after admitting you haven't even turned it on, and because the rubber USB cover won't close is a bit ridiculous.

And if you spent $700.00 on a 436, you have issues far beyond scanner satisfaction.

I know you have been critical .. as you should be. This is a poorly designed product. I am just amazed that these bad design things were not corrected .. as really there is no competition now. Which sadly makes us pretty much forced to buy these bad products.

On .. and I have been using my friends 436HP while mine was in transit. It does not make it any better and if I could I would have cancelled the purchase knowing what I know now. The only way Uniden will notice is if we stop buying their bad products.

And .. I know it will go to the tavern, but people need to know what they are buying. That is the only way Uniden will go back to making quality products.

Oh .. and it was closer to $800 all told, I live in Canada, land of ridiculous prices. I did buy the scanner in the US .. but really it still ends up to be an insane amount. Consider yourself lucky.

I also have been using my friends 436HP for a week and if I could have I would have cancelled the purchase. You live and learn. But the only way to stop this .. is to vote with our wallets. Once Uniden realizes that we will not accept bad products .. they may get their act together.

Last edited:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
That is the most ridiculous post I have seen here in ages. TROLL.:roll:

He didn't turn THAT one on. He states he had used another one while it was being shipped to him....I don't see a troll, just someone who realized he made a mistake before his arrived, and it was confirmed by sloppy manufacturing when it did arrive.

SCPD

QRT
He didn't turn THAT one on. He states he had used another one while it was being shipped to him....I don't see a troll, just someone who realized he made a mistake before his arrived, and it was confirmed by sloppy manufacturing when it did arrive.

Thank yoiu for actually reading what was typed. I am no different than any of the people that have expressed opinions on this scanner. However .. because of where I live .. I paid a lot more for a badly designed product. That would **** off anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I do still like the scanner and will keep it in hopes that Uniden will fix the faults in the future. However .. it will not be my go to scanner until the problems are fixed.

The scanner in question is charging .. and yes I did have plenty of time to read about this scanner over the last week and use it. However in spite of the good things about the scanner .. there are just a few things that are hard to over look.

My suggestion .. people should wait to see what happens with this model to see if the well advertised issues are eventually fixed.

So .. I don't think I really need to say anymore about it. But I am prone to always say what is on my mind, even if it is not popular.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
There have been many, many complaints and bad reviews of these new HP scanners, mine included. I returned it after a week.

My mistake was buying one right off the bat, and not waiting until they been out a few years and work the bugs out which I normally do.

I suggest everyone read the forums/reviews before they buy.

Last edited:
I paid 375 for my 436HP,,From a seller that was of the same opinion.

Love it,most problematic issue I found was selecting system keys/quickkeys.

Even got Arc536Basic with it..375$..Is great on P25, Kick a$$ on conventional
Sensitivity is good..scans my local motorola TRS's great.Beefy memory..

Despite the analyze being absent..Love it..Also have a 996XT,just sold my 396XT
a PSR500,PSR800 and BCT15X..So its not like Ive nothing to compare it to.

JustLou

I feel the same way about the Uniden Home Patrol-1. The radio has had digital performance issues since day 1, and the only thing they seemed concerned about was making a paid "extreme upgrade". Then after not doing anything about the problems for 2 years, they start a beta program a few months ago which was promptly abandoned without warning. They haven't even given the beta testers the courtesy of a reply since early August.

rhalld38

I got my 436HP about two months ago and I believe and know it is a step up from the PSR500 which I had before. Never had any problems with the rubber piece that covers the USB/GPS ports and this radio does great on P25 for my area which is the Northern IL. area and also does well in picking up P25 in the Southern Wis. area. Also does great at times when conditions are right and I pick up Madison Wis. which is over 90 miles from where I live and also I pick up Chicago PD which is about 90 miles where I live as well. It took me awhile to learn this scanner and with help with YouTube videos and the online manual that someone was nice enough to make an easier read manual that helps me to enjoy this scanner even more. So there is good and bad points about this scanner after reading posts here but each to his liking.

Last edited:

Subliminal87

I wish I didn't read this, this morning...I am just about to order my 436 today. I'm getting it cheaper than $499 but still. A little nervous and undecided. I would jump and get a 996 XT but Simulcast issues, I am not too sure how well it will do on our new system, and I want to monitor two Phase 2 systems.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I think the experience varies from radio to radio. I'm not sure why. The rubber port cover on my 436 only started having issues in the past few weeks - many, many months after I first got it - and I am confident it's because I open and close it several times a day, every day, to plug cables in. Still, even if it had been a problem from day 1, it would not make it "the biggest piece of **** ever". I've had very little trouble with my 436. The biggest problem I've had is having to reload configuration because I ran afoul of the issue where turning off some stuff via quick key combinations makes it inaccessible. I solved that problem by never turning it off by quick keys again.

I really do think the user experience is going to be driven by the user and by the individual radio received. Maybe I got lucky and got one that really works well. Maybe you will too.

VE3RADIO

I think the experience varies from radio to radio. I'm not sure why. The rubber port cover on my 436 only started having issues in the past few weeks - many, many months after I first got it - and I am confident it's because I open and close it several times a day, every day, to plug cables in. Still, even if it had been a problem from day 1, it would not make it "the biggest piece of **** ever". I've had very little trouble with my 436. The biggest problem I've had is having to reload configuration because I ran afoul of the issue where turning off some stuff via quick key combinations makes it inaccessible. I solved that problem by never turning it off by quick keys again.

I really do think the user experience is going to be driven by the user and by the individual radio received. Maybe I got lucky and got one that really works well. Maybe you will too.

I have had 3 X 436HP, I was so angry with the first one that I scrapped it as the clock issue that people say does not happen was happening to me every time I turned it on despite following the 50 hour charge instructions.

I since have received 2 additional BC436HP and have NOT had the battery clock issue with either of them.. so it seems to be that there is a real problem with the internal batteries, albeit on only SOME units.

One thing I have noticed on all 3 of the units I have had and the 2 units I still have is that I cannot decode my local Phase II system properly (working with Paul on this) and more annoyingly than anything they ALL have a dust issue to some degree behind the screen.. white dust that does not go away with compressed air.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
On .. and I have been using my friends 436HP while mine was in transit. It does not make it any better and if I could I would have cancelled the purchase knowing what I know now.

If you were already using your friend's 436HP, then you knew all this before receiving yours. Why didn't you just return it for a refund, rather than open it, and handled it. You probably could have just refused shipment.

troymail

Silent Key
There are soooooo many variables when it comes to all of these radios - some you can control and most that you cannot.

Note: my observations are based on not only home use but also usage/testing at various places in my travels (currently playing with reception issues in Dare County, NC).

So what can you control? Well, do you really need a new radio? If you're not needing P25 Phase 2 capability and or dealing with digital simulcast issues, then the only reason for going to one of these two new radios is because you have the "option" of doing so.

The x36 (in my opinion) still has the same troubles for me handling Motorola systems with P25 voice that my old BCD396T did in most cases.

Motorola analog? EDACS (analog)? Just as good as any other radio.

None of the radios are perfect at digital simulcast. What works for some doesn't work for others. Every application and every system is different.

In "stationary" applications, I'd take the PSR-800/WS-1080 over all but "stationary" in my case typically means that the digital simulcast is handled well for one site of one system when you find just the right spot for radio placement. In general, for mobile applications, the x36 radios are doing somewhat better. Having said that, the x36 radios seem to "miss" activity altogether in some cases where the GRE/Whistlers receive something (the x36 radios seem to be "slow" to detect/decode activity). Still, on some occasions under the right conditions, I see the same performance from the 436 as I do from the PSR-800. In general, I'd say a good 20-25% of the time, the x36 radios miss activity that the PSr-800 detects and decodes.

Mobile applications (driving) I give the PSR-800/WS-1080 higher ratings than the x36 radios. Although the x36 radios allow you to toggle favorites lists, systems, sites, and departments on/off on the fly, it is really hard to tell what is currently enabled and if you have alot of different QKs programmed, you need to consult a document to recall (determine) which QKs you need to toggle. In contrast, the PSR-800/WS-1080 displays what is currently enabled and allows for toggling these things by name via the menu. Of course, if you have alot of scanlists, it can take time to scroll through the list - but it's still easier than looking at a piece of paper (which by the way, Uniden provided no way to print out from their software).

The display on the PSR-800/WS-1080 is much easier to read than the Unidens also.

I'm hoping for a perfect radio in the future but we all have to keep in mind that scanners are trying to do alot of things for alot of people, cover wide ranges of frequency coverage, many different types of systems, and even handle systems across wide areas of North America and beyond. Remember, typical user radios are being used 99% of the time on a single system and holding on a single channel/talkgroup. I'm betting that if you park your radio on a single system's talkgroup, the radio will do pretty well (with the possible exception of applications and/or systems with severe digital simulcast issues).

And finally, as far as the material quality of all of these radios -- I don't think they were designed to be dropped or to be used in industrial environments. I treat mine like my pets and try to keep them out of danger from being dropped or situations where they are likely to be damaged (you should see my wife's face when I ask her to be careful around them!). Professional radios are designed for these kinds of situations and in the event they are damaged, generally someone will just issue you a replacement.

Last edited:

JoeyC

Based on the fact that he has not (in this thread at least) mentioned or spoke of any of the flaws he speaks of, except for the port cover, I say troll. The reviews have been out there for nearly a year. Plenty of time to (not) buy a scanner and return it.

Status
Not open for further replies.