Can't run WIN500 under Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have WIN500 working under XP, no problem. I am unable to get it to work under Windows 7. I have installed the FTDI drivers. When I run WIN500 (regardless of whether run as administrator or not) I get the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Win500.exe
Application Version: 0.2.0.7
Application Timestamp: 533b3d88
Fault Module Name: StackHash_8066
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Offset: 003b340e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8066
Additional Information 2: 80665c3e8fa88aeffe40b164938aec58
Additional Information 3: 3b49
Additional Information 4: 3b493a5f05e031624c181903e110ee57
Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows
If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Have you tried rebooting? If that does not work then uninstall and re-install Win500 (Download it again first, in case the other file was oddly corrupted.)

Win500 is working for me on two different laptops running Windows 7 Professional and Extreme, or Ultimate, or whatever it is. Both of them are older and one is a Netbook.

n5ims

Actually there is no install for Win500. You simply download the .zip file, create a folder for the files, and unzip them into that folder. You then run Win500.exe.

One of the issues folks have that causes the program to fail is instead of unzipping the files to a folder and running them from there, they try to run Win500.exe directly from the .zip file. Running directly from the .zip file will cause the .exe to not see the other necessary files since they don't exist in the temporary location that the .exe was placed when the OS expanded it to run.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Actually there is no install for Win500. You simply download the .zip file, create a folder for the files, and unzip them into that folder. You then run Win500.exe.
Quite right, I had forgotten that. Excellent point about the executable trying to be ran from the compressed folder too. You have earned bonus points going into the weekend! Hopefully, gmclam got things sorted out.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN500 on Windows7

Thank you all for your responses.

The first thing I tried was copying files from a working installation on my XP machine. When that failed, I re-downloaded the .zip file from starr soft and extracted into a fresh directory. When that failed to run I tried Administrator mode.

I have successfully installed this on my XP PC, and my XP laptop. It is failing trying to load on a W7 laptop. I am aware that you don't 'install' the software. I went to starr soft looking for info and also made sure the FTDI driver is installed. I do not see any other dependencies.

I am clueless as to what could be the issue or what to try next.

KB0VWG

What Unzipping program are you using? Try Winzip
Also make a new folder for you to unzip it too.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN500

Using WinZip 18.0. But keep in mind I first tried running WIN500 from a working copy (from my XP machine). I put it in it's own directory. When that didn't work, I downloaded a fresh copy and put that into a new separate directory.

It appears to me like the code is looking for something it is not finding and crashes.

n5ims

Using WinZip 18.0. But keep in mind I first tried running WIN500 from a working copy (from my XP machine). I put it in it's own directory. When that didn't work, I downloaded a fresh copy and put that into a new separate directory.

It appears to me like the code is looking for something it is not finding and crashes.

A few things to verify:
* Make sure that Win500.ini exists in the folder with Win500.exe and permissions allow it to be both read and written to by the program (be aware that Win 7 may prevent writing to files located where program files are normally kept).
* Make sure that msvcr71.dll exists in the folder with Win500.exe. You may also want to register it with the OS if problems continue.
* Make sure that WinXXCommon.dll exists in the folder with Win500.exe. You may also want to register it with the OS if problems continue.

\Windows\System32\regsvr32.exe can be used to register/unregister the .dll files. The easiest way to register them properly (with correct path info, etc.) is to drag the .dll from the correct location and drop it onto the icon for regsvr32.exe.

Preventing programs from writing to (or even opening with the ability to write even if no actual writing is done) is a security feature that XP didn't have. This could be what's causing issues under Win 7. It's best not to place these in (or under) \Windows \Program Files or \Program Files (x86) since these are generally under this protection feature. While running as administrator may allow read/write access, it isn't guaranteed and you may get those UAC prompts even then. Running them from the root (or a new folder at the root) or in folders below the root generally will bypass this security feature and allow older programs that place .ini files (or other read/write files) in the program's main folder (vs. the recommended \Users\... folder) to work.

Not sure why, but even if you can write files in the protected folders (as in an install - automatically or manually) the OS may still block an application from doing so. The error often doesn't provide much help in understanding that the underlying cause is no write permission.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
WIN500

n5ims, thank you for your detailed reply. I've used the WINxx programs for years without problems. I have purchased all that I use, which is every version except WIN96. Since my programming is largely stored in WINxx this is very frustrating.

I have tried numerous things and did some searching before posting here. I figured for sure someone else would have experienced this problem. I completely HATE the versions of Windows newer than NT 4.0 (which is what I run on my main machine), but have PCs with each on it to remind me why. Windows8 is even a further nightmare IMHO.

I have a directory under root named George, and then folders under that for various things. Certainly it contains many applications, including some that I have written (typically in Visual Studio C++ or VB.Net). Of course none of the applications I've coded to run under "DOS" work on Windows 7, without using a Virtual Machine.

So I've tried putting WIN500 into \George\Win500 as well as \Win500 (and others). I don't load this kind of stuff under Program Files for many reasons, including what you wrote. I can read, write and execute other files in the same directory using whatever I try. I have a utility that I wrote which removes tabs from files, something that can confuse Python, and that must read, write, rename and delete files. Certainly that works fine.

I tried to register all of the files contained in the WIN500.zip file as you suggested. Only WIN500.Exe will register. All of the other files give me the following error:

The module "xxx" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that "xxx" is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Probably a DEP issue..to fix:

Open Windows Explorer. Right click This PC or Computer and choose, ‘Properties’. Then, select the ‘Advanced System settings’ option. Next, from the ‘System Properties’ window, select ‘Advanced’ tab. Choose the ‘Performance’ section now and from the new Performance Options window that appears on your computer screen, select ‘Data Execution Prevention tab’.

You will see options:

Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services
Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.

Select the latter and click Add. Browse to the Win500 folder, find the .exe file for the program, and then click Open.

That should get you squared away.
Marshall KE4ZNR

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
On to the next WIN500 issue ...

KE4ZNR, DAMN, THANKS!!! That actually got the code to "run". Mostly.

The first thing I notice is that this procedure affects a file in a specific hard drive location, not an application. Since I had tried different ways of getting this to work originally, after doing what you showed, only one instance would run. The other did not. No problem, I just wanted to understand how it "thought".

So now WIN500 loads but comes up in "evaluation mode". When I go to the license dialog box to enter my key, it has the name "DEFAULT" pre-entered and will not let me change it. I can't delete the name, paste in mine or change it in any way. Plus now I'm sure the 30 day clock is ticking.

If the issue is related, then it would seem whatever location that contains my license information needs to be included/excluded too. That does not appear to be any of the files in this directory. Keep in mind that one of my "installations" under Windows7 was just a copy of my licensed copy from my XP machine (another was a fresh download). They both respond in the same manner, and running in Administrator mode does not affect it.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Finally

I figured out that you have to enter your license info when you first start the program. The license screen under "Help" is apparently display only.

I think the info posted here should be in a Wiki or help someplace for others to find that run in to this problem. Thanks again to ALL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.