• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorola gp 380- from ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrisonte

hey guy tootal noob here. i bought i motorola gp 380 off ebay got it today and its pre programmed with 4 grourps -shops,pubs shopsb2b and pubs bt , there are a few channels numbered kill when i go into it , just needing a bit of info :) i have ordered a usb programing cable for it , but what things can i do with it ?? thanks

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hey guy tootal noob here. i bought i motorola gp 380 off ebay got it today and its pre programmed with 4 grourps -shops,pubs shopsb2b and pubs bt , there are a few channels numbered kill when i go into it , just needing a bit of info :) i have ordered a usb programing cable for it , but what things can i do with it ?? thanks
The GP380 is a radio built for foreign (not North American) markets. From the description of the channels, it sounds like it might be a European model used in the UK.

Depending on where you are and what your licensing is or is not, you may not be able to do much with it. How about giving us enough information to give you a real answer to your question?

morrisonte

what info would you need , i just want to listen in to radio broadcasts, or is there anything else i can do with it , thaks for your help :)

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
what info would you need , i just want to listen in to radio broadcasts, or is there anything else i can do with it , thaks for your help :)
Where you are for starters. Then, do you have any licensing for the country you are in? Do you even know what types and frequency ranges of radios systems are in use in your area?

How do you plan to program this thing? It's a model for the foreign markets (not the US and Canada) and if you are, by some remote chance, actually in North America, that the European software is not available here. North American radio shops don't have the software, either.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
FWIW, these do not do the newer "splinter" channels used in the USA, and are of course are not FCC part 90 certified like their US model counterparts, and require EU CPS.

I'd pass on these for anything other than HAM use, and only if you can find the software.

morrisonte

sorry guys , im in scotland the radio is motorola gp380 ,sw version R03.01.37 CP VERSION R4.05 SW PART NO 8266551A12 CP PART NUMBER 8266552A22. just wanting to know what uses i can get out of it , i have ordered the usb programing cable and downloaded the software . just needing a bit of advice on what i can do with the thing :) thanks

morrisonte

im in scotland its a moto gp380 sw version R03.01.37 SW PART NUMBER 8266551A12 CP VERSION R4.05 SW PART NUMBER 8266551A12 , im totally new to all this and was just looking for some advice on what i can do with it , ive tied Google and reading other posts . thanks for your help guys :)

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
im in scotland its a moto gp380 sw version R03.01.37 SW PART NUMBER 8266551A12 CP VERSION R4.05 SW PART NUMBER 8266551A12 , im totally new to all this and was just looking for some advice on what i can do with it , ive tied Google and reading other posts . thanks for your help guys :)
You still have not given us the model number. It's on a sticker on the back of the radio. You have to remove the battery to get to it.

Most, if not all of us are in the US or Canada. Very, very few of us has any useful knowledge of radio systems where you are, and the same goes for the laws around using two-way radios there.

If you have already downloaded the software, it's likely a bootleg copy. Very dangerous to use that. Motorola is very protective of its software and the only valid source is to purchase it directly from them.

Your purchased USB cable may or may not work with your computer. If you have a Mac, you won't have any luck running the software to my knowledge.

If the UK is anything like other countries, there are strict laws about transmitting on unauthorized radio frequencies. There are also laws about what equipment can be used in each radio service. The basic rule anywhere is that if you do not know for sure that you are authorized to transmit on any given frequency, then you are not authorized to do so. Unauthorized transmissions can easily interfere with police, fire, medical, and even military operations.

You need to hook up with someone locally who has some knowledge about these things and learn from them.

morrisonte

im sorry but there's no sticker on the back on the radio :/ im using a laptop with windows7/ a pc with xp . as i say im a total noob here , just got hold of it .if i cant find any viable use for it im willing to sell it if you guys like ?

spanz

I'm in the UK and the GP380 is a keypad/display/255ch conventional analogue version of the HT750 I believe. The proper model number will be something like: MDH25RDH9AN6AE / PW502H which is for the UK/EMEA UHF 4watt with keypad/display.

Morrisonte, unless you know the exact frequencies you want to listen to then you won't get very far.... this radio isn't a scanner where you can (easily) set it up to listen to all and sundry like a dedicated radio scanner would, but it's designed to be programmed with pre configured frequencies to transmit and receive on.

It can be programmed as a receive only radio but you still need to know the frequencies you want to be able to receive.

Might be worh joining Transmission1 which is a UK based forum for radio.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.