• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

For all you CB old timers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for posting that. We had a Johnson Messenger 223 base and my dad had a Pace 2300 mobile. I have them in my shack somewhere I think.

SCPD

QRT
Johnson

I used to have a Johnson-Messenger cb on my 10 speed!What a great radio,always worked perfect,never had a meter in it that worked but I heard everyone anyway.The antenna was a mirror mount.on the reflector.

Token

A quick cruise through that brings back a lot of memories of stuff I have owned at one time or another, and some stuff I still have. Not going to bother listing the stuff I used to have, only the stuff I still have today.

Page 1, Tram Corsair and Browning Golden Eagle Mk II, still got them, still working.

Page 3, Johnson Messenger 223 and 323, still got them both worked last I checked, but that was years ago.

Page 4, Messenger 124, I have one but it was sold rebadged under another name, I don't recall what it was off the top of my head, still worked last I knew.

Page 6, Lafayette 525, still got it.

Page 21, Avanti Moonraker 4, I have several of those here dismantled, none in the air.

Page 24, Phantom 500, I still have one squirreled away, although the relay is bad.

Page 26, Palomar 150 Watt Bi-Amp, still got one, no idea if it works or not, don't think I have ever turned it on since taking it in trade.

Page 27, microphones. Turner Plus Three, +2, and 454X. Various Astetic D-104's of differing flavors.

Last page, Tram Titan II, although mine is pretty much a basket case. Maybe one day I will restore it.

Nice catalogue, thanks for posting it.

T!

ill41

Citizens band

Back in the day,this was one of the only places to buy your gear.Way before the internet.They had good customer service and were pleasant to deal with.Thanks for the post.

srhawkins

Wow! This is a blast from the past. I lived in KCMO in the late '70s and stopped at Henshaw's a lot. Thank you.

NESN

Saw this at a local Flea Market over the weekend. I didn't buy it but the guy was asking $20 bucks. Never heard of this brand. Still had the old "8 track" under dash slide mount on it and it looks like an old CB radio license call sign (KDD8463).

Attachments

• Auction Old CB Radio.jpg
    Auction Old CB Radio.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,949

JayMojave

Hello Nob SQQ: Yeah that hit the spot, for this old timer.

I use to get Layfaette, Allied, and a few other catalogs to droll over. It was a important part of life at 15 years old. Knowing there was a better way that a old car battery and battery charger on the floor eating out the carpet, with a 102 inch whip antenna held up with a broom stick. The Gonset G11 has 4 hole channels, that Dad traded his bowling ball for.

Thanks again

Jay in the Mojave

N5TWB

Okay, how many of you have ever been in one of their stores?

I was in the Phoenix store in 1974 around Christmas when we went to visit relatives and attend the first Fiesta Bowl. I was in college at Oklahoma State which played Brigham Young in that game.

At that time, I was using a Pace 2300, as featured on page 9. I later got into SSB with another Pace that was stolen from the car and replaced with a Midland. I never went 40-channel.

My next time in Phoenix was moving there to work in 1987 and Henshaw's was long gone, along with the CB boom. I transferred my radio interests over to ham and spent a lot of time at HRO.

Last edited:

RC286

I may not be an old timer, but it was neat to see my CLR-2 in there.
Running that antenna off of a Midland 79-892

CyberWarrior

I loved my Lafayette Comstat 25B,it was a tube unit for base use.

Lafayette used a very effective system in their audio side.

It was called Range Boost, and I think it was an early type of speech processor.

That radio was my workhorse,I remember selling it at a coffee break in NJ.

WA2E

First rig was a Globe President VIIII then had a Johnson Messenger II. When I started working bought a Johnson 223 for the house and Johnson 323 for mobile. When I was in H.S. I used to walk a mile to the Lafayette store in Plainfield, NJ. After I had a driver's license I primarily used a family owned business in Fords NJ called Mark Radio. That's where I bought the 223 and 323. This was circa '66 to
'75. I was out of CB just before 40 channel rigs came out. Then the bug bit in '85 and I got my amateur license.

Mike

TheSpaceMann

I loved my Lafayette Comstat 25B,it was a tube unit for base use.

Lafayette used a very effective system in their audio side.

It was called Range Boost, and I think it was an early type of speech processor.

That radio was my workhorse,I remember selling it at a coffee break in NJ.
I had the Comstat 25 which came out in 1966!! It had the 2 extra "HELP" channels which very few CBers had access to. Was amazing to have those almost totally clear channels for working skip!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.