Major Initiative to Enhance NYPD Mobile Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Portable radios will move NYPD "into the 21st Century"? More like the 1980s.

ff026

Feed Provider
I read the article provided in the link and it doesn't say anything about portables radios care to elaborate?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
New MCTs and department phone terminals for everybody.

D

DaveNF2G

" These modern, handheld devices will provide police officers with a variety of tools, including state-of-the-art terror and crime-fighting technologies that have been developed in the last decade."

Actually, it looks like they are going to skip over portable radios altogether. NYPD officers have never had, and apparently will never have, the single most important safety tool they could take with them when they leave their patrol cars.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
"NYPD officers have never had, and apparently will never have, the single most important safety tool they could take with them when they leave their patrol cars.

Eh? NYPD doesn't install mobiles much, but everybody and their mother's got a portable. What do you mean they don't have them?

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds combative, not my intent. I'm just quite confused at that statement.

Spec

Eh? NYPD doesn't install mobiles much, but everybody and their mother's got a portable. What do you mean they don't have them?

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds combative, not my intent. I'm just quite confused at that statement.

Pretty much on point. With the NYPD radio system everyone uses portables. Now to the "new" enhancement basically as stated above they will be "windows" type phones.

D

DaveNF2G

Sorry, I had it backwards. I thought they only had mobiles. I stand corrected.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
It sounds pretty comprehensive to me, guys. The question is will the implementation go smoothly? That's a lot of portable devices to keep track of!

Status
Not open for further replies.